Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by hbklau <hb...@yahoo.com> on 2004/09/26 06:44:20 UTC

New bies

I have a few questions here. I am running tomcat 5 on my windows 98. It goes
like this, I had deleted the index.jsp but how come i still able to view the
index.jsp when i type http://locahost:8080? And i tried placing a index.html
into the root directory but it can't load the images! Can anyone please help me
with this? Thanks

=====
Lau Siang Loon
alt. mail = hbklau1982@yahoo.com.sg
http://sg.geocities.com/hbklau

Re: New bies

Posted by Eugene <j....@infosatgeomatica.com>.
Hello Atishay, thanks for answer. The thing is I'm using Apache, I'm writing on
Perl or PHP, I know just basics of JSPs (as I have VB-ASP specialization on the past,
and tell the truth they're pretty close, at least familiar). I want to give my
clients access from their FTP account to one folder - public_html to control their
content, so thats why I need to deploy all not in webapps, but in htdocs. Because
other pages are served by Apache. Thts why I telling that it wolud be great to have
basic instructions about. I figure it out by myself - all works fine jsp and applets
erved by Tomcat, php,pl,cgi - by Apache, but it was pretty hard at start to make it
work together.

Thanks.

Sunday, September 26, 2004, 3:08:11 AM, you wrote:

> On Sun, 26 Sep 2004 02:47:19 -0300, Eugene
> <j....@infosatgeomatica.com> wrote:
>> Hello,  also it would be great if they can give some information where
>> and how to place jsp pages if somebody want to use Tomcat with Apache.
>  by default the deployment folder is webapps.
> --------refer conf-->server.xml------------------
> <host name="localhost" debug="0" appBase="webapps"
>        unpackWARs="true" autoDeploy="true">

>> I  figure it out by myself after some hours of learning basics of JSP.
>> But  tell the truth I never seen clear instructions how exactly newbie
>> can   deploy   the   page   or  application.  All  books  starts  from
> there is a common deployment descriptor for all apps which is place in
conf->>web.xml
>> "HelloWorld.."  but  there  no  any  word about ROOT, about how to use
>> custom directory under Apache or without it and things like this. I've

> If u place any application in webapps it will be loaded automatically.
> say i create a folder test in webapps. create a folder WEB-INF under test.
> create a web.xml it containing the following
> ----------

> <!DOCTYPE web-app
>     PUBLIC "-//Sun Microsystems, Inc.//DTD Web Application 2.3//EN"
>     "http://java.sun.com/dtd/web-app_2_3.dtd">
> <web-app>
>   <display-name>This is a test folder </display-name>
>   <description>
>      Welcome to the test folder
>   </description>
> <web-app>
> --------------
> this is the deployment descriptor specificallty for webapplication test.
> for putting java beans u need to create a classes folder under WEB-INF
> and all ur java classes go in there. if u create testClass.java under
WEB-INF-->>classes folder then u need the following in ur jsp page to

--
Best regards,
 Eugene                            mailto:j.subscribe@infosatgeomatica.com

Re: New bies

Posted by Atishay Kumar <at...@gmail.com>.
> [...]

> > On Sat, Sep 25, 2004 at 09:44:20PM -0700, hbklau wrote:
> > : I have a few questions here. I am running tomcat 5 on my windows 98. It goes
> > : like this, I had deleted the index.jsp but how come i still able to view the
> > : index.jsp when i type http://locahost:8080?
>
> > Sounds like you tried to customize one of the demo apps.  This usually
> > isn't a good idea, since those JSPs come precompiled and are thus
> > hard-mapped as servlets in web.xml.
>
> > You want to start from scratch.  Follow the instructions on the Tomcat
> > website for "first webapp" or something of that nature.
>
> > For the Tomcat developers: is there a need for a "blank" sample webapp,
> > for which JSPs aren't precompiled and users can directly tweak?  (This
> > app may already exist; I've never poked through the demos.)  I volunteer
> > to create one. That should reduce confusion with the newer users and

:)
Atishay Kumar
Btech, SEM VII
DA-IICT
Gandhinagar - 382009
India
ph: +91 9825383948
/****************************************************************************
 * Learn the rules as you would need them to break them properly *

Re: New bies

Posted by Eugene <j....@infosatgeomatica.com>.

--
Best regards,
 Eugene

Re: New bies

Posted by QM <qm...@brandxdev.net>.
On Sun, Sep 26, 2004 at 11:26:32AM -0400, Ben Souther wrote:
: > For the Tomcat developers: is there a need for a "blank" sample webapp,
: > for which JSPs aren't precompiled and users can directly tweak?
:
: Wouldn't it make more sense NOT to precompile the JSPs for one of the
: sample apps?  The "Sample JSPs" would probably be the most likely
: candidate.

True; but then, we'd risk lots of questions to the effect of, "my JSP is
slow (the first time)." ;)

It all depends on which questions you want to head off at the pass.  In
both cases -- precompiled or not -- people will try to dive in without
having properly read all of the docs.  I reasoned, having an app that
blatantly said, "customize me for your first webapp" may stem the tide.

-QM

--

software  -- http://www.brandxdev.net
tech news -- http://www.RoarNetworX.com

Re: New bies

Posted by Eugene <j....@infosatgeomatica.com>.

>> For the Tomcat developers: is there a need for a "blank" sample webapp,
>> for which JSPs aren't precompiled and users can directly tweak?  (This
>> app may already exist; I've never poked through the demos.)  I volunteer
>> to create one. That should reduce confusion with the newer users and
>> trim list traffic accordingly.
>>
>> -QM

> Wouldn't it make more sense NOT to precompile the JSPs for one of the
> sample apps?  The "Sample JSPs" would probably be the most likely
> candidate.

Thats a good idea. Agree..

Re: New bies

Posted by Ben Souther <bs...@fwdco.com>.

Re: New bies

Re: New bies

Posted by hbklau <hb...@yahoo.com>.
Sorry, I still don't get it. Maybe my message is not clear and lead to some
misunderstanding. I had deleted the original index.jsp from tomcat
root\webapps\
root. But when i type http://get2gether.mine.nu:8080 . I still got back the
original index.jsp which i had deleted earlier. I tried your solution but i
can't find any file except with a file name called tldCache.ser . Sorry if I
have confused. Thanks again.

Re: New bies

Posted by Atishay Kumar <at...@gmail.com>.