Posted to dev@maven.apache.org by ch...@transport.qld.gov.au on 2008/03/25 05:15:36 UTC

Building Applet JARS inside WAR files using Maven 2.0

Hi,

I have been scratching my head on this one for awhile.

We have an applet which the class files are packaged up into a JAR file.
This JAR file is then packaged up inside a WAR file which then gets
packaged in an EAR file so that it can be deployed onto Websphere
Application Server 6.1 (our web app server).
Now in order for the JAR file to be seen on the clients end (not on the
web server we are deploying the war file to), the JAR file must not live
inside the "WEB-INF\lib" directory. The JAR file must sit inside the root
directory of the WAR. This allows the user to access the JAR file and
download it to their PC
instead of the JAR file being processed server sidedly so that they can
access the JAR that has the applet and run the applet client sidedly.

It appears that something did exist for maven 1.0 in the WAR building
goal, but it was removed in maven 2.0. So now in order to manually put
this file, i have to do some ugly ant script in the artifact which builds
the WAR file, like this:

<plugin>
              <executions>
                <execution>
                        <id>move-jars</id>
                        <phase>package</phase>
                        <configuration>
                                <tasks>
                                        <echo message="***Unzipping
war***" />
                                        <unzip
src="${project.build.directory}/${artifactId}-${version}.war"
 dest="${basedir}/tmp">

                                                <patternset>
                                                        <include name="**"
/>
                                                </patternset>
                                        </unzip>
                                        <echo message="***war unzipped***"
/>
                                                <move
todir="${basedir}/tmp">
                                                        <fileset
dir="${basedir}/tmp/WEB-INF/lib">
                                                                <include
name="**/*.jar" />
                                                        </fileset>
                                                </move>
                                                <echo message="***Deleting
old war***" />
                                                <delete
file="${project.build.directory}/${artifactId}-${version}.war" />
                                                <delete
includeEmptyDirs="true">
                                                        <fileset
dir="${project.build.directory}/${artifactId}-${version}" />
                                                </delete>
                                                <echo message="***Creating
new war***" />
                                                <zip
destfile="${project.build.directory}/${artifactId}-${version}.war"
 basedir="${basedir}/tmp" update="true" />
                                                        <echo
message="***Unzipping new war***" />

                                                <unzip
src="${project.build.directory}/${artifactId}-${version}.war"
 dest="${project.build.directory}/${artifactId}-${version}">
                                                        <patternset>
                                                                <include
name="**" />
                                                        </patternset>
                                                </unzip>
                                                <echo message="***Deleting
tmp dir***" />
                                                        <delete
includeEmptyDirs="true">
                                                                <fileset
dir="${basedir}/tmp" />
                                                        </delete>
                                </tasks>
                        </configuration>
                        <goals>
                                <goal>run</goal>
                        </goals>
                </execution>
             </executions>
           </plugin>

Does anyone know a more better solution to achieving this?

WARNING: This e-mail (including any attachments) may contain legally
privileged, confidential or private information and may be protected by
copyright. You may only use it if you are the person(s) it was intended
to be sent to and if you use it in an authorised way.  No one is
allowed to use, review, alter, transmit, disclose, distribute, print
or copy this e-mail without appropriate authority.

If this e-mail was not intended for you and was sent to you by mistake,
please telephone or e-mail me immediately, destroy any hardcopies of
this e-mail and delete it and any copies of it from your computer
system. Any right which the sender may have under copyright law, and
any legal privilege and confidentiality attached to this e-mail is not
waived or destroyed by that mistake.

It is your responsibility to ensure that this e-mail does not contain
and is not affected by computer viruses, defects or interference by
third parties or replication problems (including incompatibility with
your computer system).

Opinions contained in this e-mail do not necessarily reflect the
opinions of the Queensland Department of Main Roads, Queensland
Transport or Maritime Safety Queensland, or endorsed organisations
utilising the same infrastructure.

i am facing the following problem tomcat 6.0 + maven

Posted by sr...@accenture.com.
Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
(C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

D:\Documents and Settings\s.thotakomuraiah>c:

C:\>cd maven2example

C:\maven2example>cd maven2example_webapp

C:\maven2example\maven2example_webapp>mvn package
[INFO] Scanning for projects...
[INFO]
[INFO] Building maven2example_webapp Maven Webapp
[INFO]    task-segment: [package]
[INFO]
[INFO] [resources:resources]
[INFO] [compiler:compile]
[INFO] Nothing to compile - all classes are up to date
[INFO] [resources:testResources]
[INFO] [compiler:testCompile]
[INFO] No sources to compile
[INFO] [surefire:test]
[INFO] No tests to run.
[INFO] [war:war]
[INFO] Packaging webapp
[INFO] Assembling webapp[maven2example_webapp] in
[C:\maven2example\maven2exampl
e_webapp\target\maven2example_webapp-1.0-SNAPSHOT]
[INFO] Processing war project
[INFO] Webapp assembled in[100 msecs]
[INFO] Building war:
C:\maven2example\maven2example_webapp\target\maven2example_
webapp-1.0-SNAPSHOT.war
[INFO] [cargo:start {execution: tomcat-execution}]
[INFO]
[ERROR] FATAL ERROR
[INFO]
[INFO] Cannot create configuration. There's no registered configuration
for the
parameters (container [id = [tomcat6x], type = [installed]],
configuration type
[standalone]). Actually there are no valid types registered for this
configurati
on. Maybe you've made a mistake spelling it?
[INFO]
[INFO] Trace
org.codehaus.cargo.container.ContainerException: Cannot create
configuration. Th
ere's no registered configuration for the parameters (container [id =
[tomcat6x]
, type = [installed]], configuration type [standalone]). Actually there
are no v
alid types registered for this configuration. Maybe you've made a
mistake spelli
ng it?
        at
org.codehaus.cargo.generic.spi.AbstractGenericHintFactory.createImple
mentation(AbstractGenericHintFactory.java:143)
        at
org.codehaus.cargo.generic.spi.AbstractIntrospectionGenericHintFactor
y.createImplementation(AbstractIntrospectionGenericHintFactory.java:86)
        at
org.codehaus.cargo.generic.configuration.DefaultConfigurationFactory.
createConfiguration(DefaultConfigurationFactory.java:205)
        at
org.codehaus.cargo.generic.configuration.DefaultConfigurationFactory.
createConfiguration(DefaultConfigurationFactory.java:192)
        at
org.codehaus.cargo.maven2.configuration.Configuration.createConfigura
tion(Configuration.java:127)
        at
org.codehaus.cargo.maven2.AbstractCargoMojo.createConfiguration(Abstr
actCargoMojo.java:292)
        at
org.codehaus.cargo.maven2.AbstractCargoMojo.createNewContainer(Abstra
ctCargoMojo.java:380)
        at
org.codehaus.cargo.maven2.AbstractCargoMojo.createContainer(AbstractC
argoMojo.java:320)
        at
org.codehaus.cargo.maven2.ContainerStartMojo.doExecute(ContainerStart
Mojo.java:52)
        at
org.codehaus.cargo.maven2.AbstractCargoMojo.execute(AbstractCargoMojo
.java:243)
        at
org.apache.maven.plugin.DefaultPluginManager.executeMojo(DefaultPlugi
nManager.java:447)
        at
org.apache.maven.lifecycle.DefaultLifecycleExecutor.executeGoals(Defa
ultLifecycleExecutor.java:539)
        at
org.apache.maven.lifecycle.DefaultLifecycleExecutor.executeGoalWithLi
fecycle(DefaultLifecycleExecutor.java:480)
        at
org.apache.maven.lifecycle.DefaultLifecycleExecutor.executeGoal(Defau
ltLifecycleExecutor.java:459)
        at
org.apache.maven.lifecycle.DefaultLifecycleExecutor.executeGoalAndHan
dleFailures(DefaultLifecycleExecutor.java:311)
        at
org.apache.maven.lifecycle.DefaultLifecycleExecutor.executeTaskSegmen
ts(DefaultLifecycleExecutor.java:278)
        at
org.apache.maven.lifecycle.DefaultLifecycleExecutor.execute(DefaultLi
fecycleExecutor.java:143)
        at
org.apache.maven.DefaultMaven.doExecute(DefaultMaven.java:333)
        at org.apache.maven.DefaultMaven.execute(DefaultMaven.java:126)
        at
java:39)
        at
sorImpl.java:25)
        at
        at

[INFO]
[INFO] Total time: 7 seconds
[INFO] Finished at: Tue Mar 25 09:52:24 GMT+05:30 2008
[INFO] Final Memory: 12M/22M
[INFO]

C:\maven2example\maven2example_webapp>

Thanks & Regards,

Sridhar Thota,

Accenture - India | O: +91 22 40444170 | Ext: 4170 | C: +91 9930245689 |
Aim/gTalk: mails4sri | Mial/YIm/Msn: sridhar.thota

Re: Building Applet JARS inside WAR files using Maven 2.0

Posted by Wayne Fay <wa...@gmail.com>.
On Tue, 25 Mar 2008, chris.r.grigg@transport.qld.gov.au wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have been scratching my head on this one for awhile.

Please send these kinds of questions to the Maven Users list. This
list is reserved for discussion of the development of Maven itself.

Wayne

Re: Building Applet JARS inside WAR files using Maven 2.0

Posted by da...@davidkarlsen.com.
On Tue, 25 Mar 2008, chris.r.grigg@transport.qld.gov.au wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have been scratching my head on this one for awhile.
>
> We have an applet which the class files are packaged up into a JAR file.
> This JAR file is then packaged up inside a WAR file which then gets
> packaged in an EAR file so that it can be deployed onto Websphere
> Application Server 6.1 (our web app server).
> Now in order for the JAR file to be seen on the clients end (not on the
> web server we are deploying the war file to), the JAR file must not live
> inside the "WEB-INF\lib" directory. The JAR file must sit inside the root
> directory of the WAR. This allows the user to access the JAR file and
> download it to their PC
> instead of the JAR file being processed server sidedly so that they can
> access the JAR that has the applet and run the applet client sidedly.

A few approaches are available:

*In code: The file is available on the classpath - you could load it from
there

*A copy job:
http://maven.apache.org/plugins/maven-dependency-plugin/copy-mojo.html

David J. M. Karlsen - +47 90 68 22 43
http://www.davidkarlsen.com
http://mp3.davidkarlsen.com

RE: Building Applet JARS inside WAR files using Maven 2.0

Posted by "Brian E. Fox" <br...@reply.infinity.nu>.
You can do this with dependency:unpack or dependency:copy too instead of
using ant.

I was looking for copying jar files into war file using maven.
Ur ant plugin helped me a lot to accomplish tht task.

Thank u very much
Regards,
Satheesh

chris.r.grigg wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have been scratching my head on this one for awhile.
>
> We have an applet which the class files are packaged up into a JAR
file.
> This JAR file is then packaged up inside a WAR file which then gets
> packaged in an EAR file so that it can be deployed onto Websphere
> Application Server 6.1 (our web app server).
> Now in order for the JAR file to be seen on the clients end (not on
the
> web server we are deploying the war file to), the JAR file must not
live
> inside the "WEB-INF\lib" directory. The JAR file must sit inside the
root
> directory of the WAR. This allows the user to access the JAR file and
> download it to their PC
> instead of the JAR file being processed server sidedly so that they
can
> access the JAR that has the applet and run the applet client sidedly.
>
> It appears that something did exist for maven 1.0 in the WAR building
> goal, but it was removed in maven 2.0. So now in order to manually put

> this file, i have to do some ugly ant script in the artifact which
builds
> the WAR file, like this:
>
> <plugin>
>         <artifactId>maven-antrun-plugin</artifactId>
>               <executions>
>                 <execution>
>                         <id>move-jars</id>
>                         <phase>package</phase>
>                         <configuration>
>                                 <tasks>
>                                         <echo message="***Unzipping
> war***" />
>                                         <unzip
> src="${project.build.directory}/${artifactId}-${version}.war"
>  dest="${basedir}/tmp">
>
>                                                 <patternset>
>                                                         <include
name="**"
> />
>                                                 </patternset>
>                                         </unzip>
>                                         <echo message="***war
unzipped***"
> />
>                                                 <move
> todir="${basedir}/tmp">
>                                                         <fileset
> dir="${basedir}/tmp/WEB-INF/lib">

<include
> name="**/*.jar" />
>                                                         </fileset>
>                                                 </move>
>                                                 <echo
message="***Deleting
> old war***" />
>                                                 <delete
> file="${project.build.directory}/${artifactId}-${version}.war" />
>                                                 <delete
> includeEmptyDirs="true">
>                                                         <fileset
> dir="${project.build.directory}/${artifactId}-${version}" />
>                                                 </delete>
>                                                 <echo
message="***Creating
> new war***" />
>                                                 <zip
> destfile="${project.build.directory}/${artifactId}-${version}.war"
>  basedir="${basedir}/tmp" update="true" />
>                                                         <echo
> message="***Unzipping new war***" />
>
>                                                 <unzip
> src="${project.build.directory}/${artifactId}-${version}.war"
>  dest="${project.build.directory}/${artifactId}-${version}">
>                                                         <patternset>

<include
> name="**" />
>                                                         </patternset>