Posted to users@cloudstack.apache.org by "Lisa B." <no...@hotmail.de> on 2013/08/30 08:45:39 UTC

management server unreachable, no log file

hey,
i have a fresh ubuntu 12.04.3 server install in a virtualbox vm. i have been trying to install cloudstack management server 4.1.1 for days now... and not the talk gossip in the cafeteria and code a little on the side kind of trying but leave the desk only for tennis practice kind of trying.
i followed: http://cloudstack.apache.org/docs/en-US/Apache_CloudStack/4.1.1/html/Installation_Guide/management-server-install-flow.htmlwith xenserver as the hypervisor
cloudstack lets me log into the ui after the (package) install but after a reboot it stops working. the cloudstack servlet starts automatically and i can visit <ip>:8080/client but if i try to log in it says "management server unreachable" and/etc/init.d/cloudstack-management statustells me that the servlet has stopped running.i can start the servlet again with/etc/init.d/cloudstack-management startand it says it is running ok, but it shuts down again when i click on login. this is soo annoying because all over the internet i find blog posts advising me to check the logs in /var/log/cloud/management/management-server.log which does not exist on my machine.i looked at /var/log/syslog and the most useful i could find was "WARN Please initialize the log4j system properly". another internet search gave me the impression that this is addressed at the servlet developer.i get exactly the same result on 13.04 building from source.
can someone please help me come up with a debug strategy?

this is what i have installed so far: (shouldn't apt-get install the dependencies automatically?)bind9 + nfs-server +apt-get install -y openntpd libcommons-daemon-java jsvc python-paramiko augeas-tools mysql-serverapt-get install -y cloudstack-management
i would be eternally grateful if someone could help me sort this out.
lisa

Re: management server unreachable, no log file

Posted by Ahmad Emneina <ae...@gmail.com>.
my guess is your mysql server isnt starting automatically when the system
reboots. you might also want to post your management server logs to
pastebin.com (or the like) so we can help with more pointed instructions.

Posted by Marty Sweet <ms...@gmail.com>.
Hi Lisa,

/var/log/cloud was the old logging location before v4 (I think!), logs are
now at /var/log/cloudstack/management/
management-server.log is the most useful I find, if there isn't anything
immediate there attach it and I will take a look for you.

Marty