Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Mark Luntzel <ma...@neurosis.net> on 2002/03/21 23:18:22 UTC

"The Request" error page weirdness

So here is some strange behavior (version information at bottom). Intermittantly, users of this webserver get a page like this:

The Request

Apache/1.3.23 Server at www.hsx.com Port 80

No error code. No server status. I get nothing in the error logs. The access logs show 200's and 304's. I have not been able to re-create this condition, but we're getting reports of it from all over. I had 1.3.12 running up until last week and figured upgrading might fix it. No such luck. The machine itself is a Sun E3500 with next to no load, from what I can tell. About a ton of free ram and lots of idle processor. 100 megabit switched full-duplex network.

What might cause this condition? I've been over the web looking for information and have come up short. We also have weblogic running and it doesn't seem to matter, we get these pages for dynamic and static pages and reloading in the client causes the page to render successfully.

Server version: Apache/1.3.23 (Unix)
SunOS www 5.6 Generic_105181-26
WebLogic 5.1 sp10
java version "1.2.2"
Solaris VM (build Solaris_JDK_1.2.2_05a, native threads, sunwjit)

I'll tear my hair out soon. Thanks for your time and please let me know if I've left any piece of obvious information out.

RE: "The Request" error page weirdness Additional

Posted by Grant Walters <Gr...@walters.co.nz>.
> > I'll tear my hair out soon. Thanks for your time and please let me
> > know if I've left any piece of obvious information out.

BTW: Thanks for the 4MB download I didn't ask for :-)

Regards

Grant Walters
Brainbench 'Most Valuable Professional' for Unix Admin
Walters & Associates, P O Box 13-043 Johnsonville, Wellington, NEW ZEALAND
Telephone: +64 4 4765175, CellPhone 025488265, ICQ# 23511989

Re: "The Request" error page weirdness

Posted by Artiom Morozov <ar...@phreaker.net>.
How about posting DirectoryIndex, <VirtualHost> part, modules list and
part of error log with LogLevel set to  debug? ;-)

îÁ 2002.03.22 00:18 Mark Luntzel ÎÁÐÉÓÁÌ:

1.3.24 httpd file size - mod_so - 2MB diff

Posted by Irmund Thum <it...@it97.dyn.dhs.org>.
compiling .24 I was just wondering about a httpd file size of 3.6 MB after make install. config.status:

./configure \
"--with-layout=Apache" \
"--prefix=/usr/local/apache" \
"--activate-module=src/modules/php4/libphp4.a" \

"--enable-module=so" \

"--enable-module=info" \
"--enable-module=expires" \
"--enable-module=headers" \
"--enable-module=proxy" \
"--enable-module=rewrite" \
"--disable-module=userdir" \
"--server-uid=...

taking out the line with mod_so I got a 1.6 MB "normal" binary...

--
_ ___
|  |  Irmund    Thum
|  |

RE: "The Request" error page weirdness

Posted by Grant Walters <Gr...@walters.co.nz>.
> So here is some strange behavior (version information at bottom). Intermittantly, users of this webserver get a page like this:
>
> The Request
>
> Apache/1.3.23 Server at www.hsx.com Port 80
>
> No error code. No server status. I get nothing in the error logs. The access logs show 200's and 304's. I have not been
> able to re-create this condition, but we're getting reports of it from all over. I had 1.3.12 running up until last week
> and figured upgrading might fix it. No such luck. The machine itself is a Sun E3500 with next to no load, from what I can
> tell. About a ton of free ram and lots of idle processor. 100 megabit switched full-duplex network.
>
> What might cause this condition? I've been over the web looking for information and have come up short. We also have
> weblogic running and it doesn't seem to matter, we get these pages for dynamic and static pages and reloading in the
> client causes the page to render successfully.
>
> Server version: Apache/1.3.23 (Unix)
> SunOS www 5.6 Generic_105181-26
> WebLogic 5.1 sp10
> java version "1.2.2"
> Solaris VM (build Solaris_JDK_1.2.2_05a, native threads, sunwjit)
>
> I'll tear my hair out soon. Thanks for your time and please let me know if I've left any piece of obvious information out.

Here's a selection the 302's I got thrown.  Some are for your requirements for Macromedia Flash.  I have IE6 with no flash (it
annoys the @#$#$% out of me).  As soon as I hit your site I have to wait for five minutes, while the browser runs away to get the
flash player with nothing displaying (I'm on  56K dialup).  I declined the SW Flash downlaod and canned the M$ ActiveX control and
never did get to see anything on your page.

That's according to Naviscope anyway (http://www.naviscope.com/):

HTTP/1.0 302 Found
Date: Sun, 24 Mar 2002 11:03:10 GMT
Server: Apache/1.3.23 (Unix)
Location: http://movies.hsx.com/common/assets/movies/DWASH_bb.gif
Connection: close

HTTP/1.0 302 Found
Date: Sun, 24 Mar 2002 11:03:14 GMT
Server: Apache/1.3.23 (Unix)
Location: http://movies.hsx.com/common/assets/graphs/WESOL_small.png
Connection: close

HTTP/1.0 302 Found
Date: Sun, 24 Mar 2002 11:03:15 GMT
Server: Apache/1.3.23 (Unix)
Location: http://music.hsx.com/common/assets/graphs/CHERX_small.png
Connection: close

HTTP/1.0 302 Found
Date: Sun, 24 Mar 2002 11:03:15 GMT
Server: Apache/1.3.23 (Unix)
Location: http://www.hsx.com/assets/MarketRecap_bb_s.gif
Connection: close

HTTP/1.0 302 Found
Date: Sun, 24 Mar 2002 11:03:17 GMT
Server: Apache/1.3.23 (Unix)
Location: http://www.hsx.com/assets/MarketRecap_bb_s.gif
Connection: close

HTTP/1.0 400 Bad Request
Pragma: no-cache

HTTP/1.0 302 Object Moved
Location: http://activex.microsoft.com/activex/controls/macromedia/Swflash.cab
Server: Microsoft-IIS/5.0
RemovedHdr: keep-alive
Removed-Header: 191

Some of the filesthat had funny links (400's)

download.macromedia.com:80/
download.macromedia.com:80/pub/shockwave/cabs/flash/swflash.cab
download.macromedia.com:80/pub/shockwave/cabs/flash/swflash.cab
macromedia.speedera.net:80/download.macromedia.com/get/shockwave/cabs/flash/swflash.cab

www.hsx.com:80/www/assets/MarketRecap_bb_s.gif
www.hsx.com:80/www/assets/MarketRecap_bb_s.gif
www.hsx.com:80/assets/MarketRecap_bb_s.gif

www.hsx.com:80/music/common/assets/graphs/CHERX_small.png
www.hsx.com:80/music/common/assets/graphs/CHERX_small.png
music.hsx.com:80/common/assets/graphs/CHERX_small.png

www.hsx.com:80/movies/common/assets/graphs/WESOL_small.png
www.hsx.com:80/movies/common/assets/graphs/WESOL_small.png
movies.hsx.com:80/common/assets/graphs/WESOL_small.png

www.hsx.com:80/movies/common/assets/movies/DWASH_bb.gif
www.hsx.com:80/movies/common/assets/movies/DWASH_bb.gif
movies.hsx.com:80/common/assets/movies/DWASH_bb.gif

www.hsx.com:80/www/assets/EXOR4_bb_s.gif
www.hsx.com:80/www/assets/EXOR4_bb_s.gif
www.hsx.com:80/assets/EXOR4_bb_s.gif