Posted to user@poi.apache.org by "Humphrey, Jack" <JH...@coremetrics.com> on 2003/06/24 19:09:28 UTC

generating spreadsheets and memory utilization

Hi,

I am writing some code to generate speadsheets and hope to be able to use
POI. In my prototyping, I ran into the known issue of requiring large
amounts of memory to generate a large spreadsheet. To generate a 15MB xls,
it is taking up to 290MB of memory. I am writing a server application and
that level of memory utilization is not acceptable.

Do I have any alternatives? If I use the Cocoon serializer and write
Gnumeric XML instead, does it still require as much memory? Any tips?

Thanks.

Jack Humphrey

Re: generating spreadsheets and memory utilization

Posted by "Andrew C. Oliver" <ac...@apache.org>.
I'll be merging performance into the head very soon...   When is very soon?
As soon as a I have a contiguous block of time to keep it all in my head at
once. :-)

"cvs co -r performance-branch jakarta-poi"

On 6/24/03 3:17 PM, "Danny Mui" <da...@muibros.com> wrote:

> Cocoon uses the same API at the end of the day.
>
> We have a performance branch that reduces memory by a good amount
> (40%?).  Pull it down from CVS and see if the results are better?
>
> Humphrey, Jack wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I am writing some code to generate speadsheets and hope to be able to use
>> POI. In my prototyping, I ran into the known issue of requiring large
>> amounts of memory to generate a large spreadsheet. To generate a 15MB xls,
>> it is taking up to 290MB of memory. I am writing a server application and
>> that level of memory utilization is not acceptable.
>>
>> Do I have any alternatives? If I use the Cocoon serializer and write
>> Gnumeric XML instead, does it still require as much memory? Any tips?
>>
>> Thanks.
>>
>> Jack Humphrey

Andrew C. Oliver

http://jakarta.apache.org/poi
For Java and Excel, Got POI?

Re: generating spreadsheets and memory utilization

Posted by Danny Mui <da...@muibros.com>.