Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Kenneth McDonald <ke...@sbcglobal.net> on 2004/05/19 20:33:54 UTC

Questions on system-wide config file

Once again, I apologize if the following questions have obviously
visible answers--I'm trying to search the Subversion book in
reasonable detail before posting questions, but it's a big (though
very well-written!) book, so I do miss things.

I'm setting up a server which will be used by myself and a few friends.
Our first project will by a Python project, and so I'd like to ensure
that
*.pyc (byte-compiled) files are never placed under version management--
as they are created automatically by Python.

The svn ignore patterns let me do this; however, I'd like to do it in
such a manner that people using my server from another system don't
need to set anything. My understanding is that if I set a global ignore
pattern in /etc/subversion/config, this will only affect clients on my
machine. Is there any way to have this recognized by _all_ clients?
(I guess this would really have to be handled by the server). Or,
am I going to need to mail out copies of the config file to my users?

Thanks,
Ken McDonald

Re: Questions on system-wide config file

Posted by Francois Beausoleil <fb...@users.sourceforge.net>.
On Wed, 19 May 2004 15:33:54 -0500, "Kenneth McDonald"
<ke...@sbcglobal.net> said:
> The svn ignore patterns let me do this; however, I'd like to do it in
> such a manner that people using my server from another system don't

Search for svn:ignore as a property:
$ svn propset --help
propset (pset, ps): Set PROPNAME to PROPVAL on files, dirs, or revisions.
usage: 1. propset PROPNAME [PROPVAL | -F VALFILE] PATH...
       2. propset PROPNAME --revprop -r REV [PROPVAL | -F VALFILE] [URL]

  1. Creates a versioned, local propchange in working copy.
  2. Creates an unversioned, remote propchange on repos revision.

  Note: svn recognizes the following special versioned properties
  but will store any arbitrary properties set:
    svn:ignore     - A newline separated list of file patterns to ignore.
[snip]

Read the section on properties in the book:
http://svnbook.red-bean.com/svnbook/ch07s02.html#svn-ch-7-sect-2.3.3

Hope that helps !
François
Developer of Java Gui Builder
http://jgb.sourceforge.net/

Re: Questions on system-wide config file

Posted by Ben Collins-Sussman <su...@collab.net>.
On Wed, 2004-05-19 at 15:33, Kenneth McDonald wrote:
>  My understanding is that if I set a global ignore
> pattern in /etc/subversion/config, this will only affect clients on my
> machine. Is there any way to have this recognized by _all_ clients?

Unfortunately, no.  It's an extremely requested feature, at the moment.
It will happen eventually.  But right now, we have no 'server side'
config that broadcasts to clients.