Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Chris Picton <to...@tangent.co.za> on 2005/02/23 13:58:55 UTC

Deployment Issues

Hi all

I am trying to implement an easy way to update my webapp, running on
tomcat 5.0.27

I need to be able to reload the webapp, after updating the war file on
the server.  My webapp has to run unpacked due to certain file access
methods which have been used.  I am also using a webapp.xml
in /etc/tomcat5/Catalina/localhost to configure an ldap authentication
realm

I have tried the following, both of which give issues:

     1. Set autoDeploy="true" in my Host, and drop the war file
        into /var/lib/tomcat5/webapps.  This works most of the time,
        updating the unpacked directory, but it frequently gives me an
        error about 'Missing application web.xml, using defaults only'.
        I have double and triple-checked - the web.xml is there, but
        tomcat does not see it during auto unpacking.  This does not
        happen all the time, but at seemingly random times.
     2. set autoDeploy="false" in my Host, and use the manager app to
        try to redeploy the webapp.  The easiest way I can see to do
        this
        is: /deploy?config=file:/home/my.xml&war=file:/home/my.war&path=/&update=true, but I get an error: FAIL - Encountered exception java.io.IOException: java.lang.IllegalStateException: Context path  is already in use.  The update=true does not seem to be undeploying the installed context first.

Does anyone have some hints for me as to how to get this working.  I
need to script the reloading of the webapp and I cannot restart tomcat.