Posted to dev@netbeans.apache.org by Ovidijus Okinskas <ov...@idrsolutions.com> on 2018/01/17 15:19:19 UTC

[EVENT] NetBeans Day London

Hi all,

We are organising NetBeans Day UK 2018 in London and are looking for
speakers to take part in the event. The event will be held on April 27th
2018 at Greenwich University - 11 Stockwell St, Greenwich SE10 9BD.

If you are keen to take part in hosting talks, workshops or demos,
please either respond here or email me directly for more details and we
can proceed in the setup for a great event.

Kind Regards,

Ovi

Re: [EVENT] NetBeans Day London

Posted by ehsavoie <em...@gmail.com>.
The discussion took place for Apache NetBeans Day France (just before
Snowcampin January 2017) which was the 1st NetBeans event after the
donation :)
Emmanuel

----------
Emmanuel Hugonnet
http://www.ehsavoie.com
http://twitter.com/ehsavoie

Posted by Kirk Pepperdine <ki...@kodewerk.com>.
Hi Ovi,

Posted by Geertjan Wielenga <ge...@googlemail.com>.
Well, aside from a date and location, and the fact that it would be
arranged by means of a VOTE thread on this mailing list, there's
nothing necessarily in terms of content that could define a NetBeans
Day, I think. There was just one held in Canada a few weeks ago, where
there was no specific session on NetBeans, and some of the speakers
are not NetBeans users at all. However, the event was arranged by
people who are on this mailing list -- i.e., Ken Fogel from Dawson
College in Montreal, while David Heffelfinger, another well known
person in the NetBeans community spoke too.

So, really, in terms of content, I don't think we can specify what a
NetBeans Day should consist of -- which is why I'm suggesting the
criteria should be that a VOTE thread has been put through the Apache
NetBeans dev mailing list with a location and date. That would prevent
a random person or company out there putting such an event together,
i.e., if it hasn't been (lazily) voted on here, it can't be an
official Apache NetBeans Day event.

Gj

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.

Posted by Geertjan Wielenga <ge...@googlemail.com>.
Maybe an event can be called an Apache NetBeans Day after a vote
thread, with lazy consensus as suggested by Neil, on this list, i.e.,
the Apache NetBeans dev list. I.e., Ovi, in this case, would start a
VOTE thread with a date and location for a NetBeans event and if no
one has objected within 72 hours, the planning can go ahead. The text
in the mail would be a standard text that Ovi or whomever would simply
cut and paste into an e-mail, change a few of the specifics, and then
send to this list. The agenda, the speakers, etc, would not be known
yet at that stage; it would simply be a proposal to hold the event at
a certain location and date.

Gj

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.

Posted by Neil C Smith <ne...@apache.org>.
On Wed, 17 Jan 2018 at 17:17 mark stephens <ma...@idrsolutions.com>
wrote:

> The sponsorship is generally so we can offer free food, swag, etc.
>
> It tends to come from Companies where NetBeans supporter have control over
> the purse strings so can help make it happen. It is generally a way for IDR
> to help (we also supply time and people to several events) and contribute
> back.

Absolutely!  And we'd be a poorer community, in more ways than one, if that
doesn't happen.  Hence my concern at that page saying "no commercial
sponsorship" without clarification of what we mean.  NBUK wouldn't have
happened without you.

Best wishes,

Neil

--
Neil C Smith
Artist & Technologist

Re: [EVENT] NetBeans Day London

Posted by mark stephens <ma...@idrsolutions.com>.

> On 17 Jan 2018, at 16:42, Neil C Smith <ne...@apache.org> wrote:
>
> On Wed, 17 Jan 2018 at 16:28 Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>
> wrote:
>
>> I think approving NetBeans Days "in bulk" can work but that page will
>> need to define what a "NetBeans Days" event is. What you want to avoid
>> is some company having products which are vaguely related to NetBeans
>> promote a "NetBeans Days" event which is not what you expect.
>>

> That page does mention each NetBeans Day being discussed on this list in
> advance.  Maybe that could be clarified?  Lazy consensus perhaps?
>
> Need perhaps to clarify what no commercial sponsorship means too?
> Companies (like IDR) are obviously involved with putting these events on,
> and that's a good thing.
>
> Best wishes,
>
> Neil

The sponsorship is generally so we can offer free food, swag, etc.

It tends to come from Companies where NetBeans supporter have control over the purse strings so can help make it happen. It is generally a way for IDR to help (we also supply time and people to several events) and contribute back.

Kind Regards,

MArk

Posted by Neil C Smith <ne...@apache.org>.

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.
On Wed, Jan 17, 2018 at 4:39 PM, Geertjan Wielenga
<ge...@googlemail.com> wrote:
> ...Here is where we documented this in May last year, i.e., 'blanket
> approval' is the term used there:
>
> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/NETBEANS/NetBeans+Events ...

Cool.

Posted by Geertjan Wielenga <ge...@googlemail.com>.
OK, will find the e-mail. But, we potentially have a dozen or so of
these small-ish events every year -- these are meetups of about 50 or
60 people in each case and are really get togethers.

Just to confirm in general -- does each get together that an Apache
project puts together need a separate approval?

Here is where we documented this in May last year, i.e., 'blanket
approval' is the term used there:

https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/NETBEANS/NetBeans+Events

Gj

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.

Posted by Geertjan Wielenga <ge...@googlemail.com>.
We discussed this at some point and came to the decision then that
these are small meetups -- and do not need an approval process for
each separate event.

Gj

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.
Hi,

Posted by Neil C Smith <ne...@apache.org>.
On Wed, 17 Jan 2018 at 15:19 Ovidijus Okinskas <ov...@idrsolutions.com> wrote:

> We are organising NetBeans Day UK 2018 in London and are looking for
> speakers to take part in the event. The event will be held on April 27th
> 2018 at Greenwich University - 11 Stockwell St, Greenwich SE10 9BD
> <https://maps.google.com/?q=11+Stockwell+St,+Greenwich+SE10+9BD&entry=gmail&source=g>
> .

Was just about to say I'd be happy to revisit the keynote I did at JDD ...
but, if that date is fixed, I'll be elsewhere - shame, first NetBeans Day
UK I'll miss (of the ones that aren't lost in the depths of ancient
mythology! ;-) )

Anyone else want a talk combining NetBeans RCP, compilers, actors, learning
from Smalltalk/Erlang, reactive streams, flashing lights and bouncing
techno music, let me know! (little taste from JDD -
https://youtu.be/w7f9N-laVW0 )

Best wishes,

Neil

--
Neil C Smith
Artist & Technologist

Re: [EVENT] NetBeans Day London

Posted by Geertjan Wielenga <ge...@googlemail.com>.
Awesome!

Thanks Ovi -- and this is a perfect way to announce a meetup of this
kind, nice [EVENT] tag too.

I'm curious whether we can get some completely new speakers and
attendees from the broader Apache community to this event too.

Gj