Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by NormW <no...@gknw.net> on 2016/08/02 11:38:54 UTC

An abbreviated background to this build error?

G/E;
Building for NetWare after 3+ months elsewhere, an get the following
build error:
> Creating Build Helper gen_test_char.exe
> ### mwld.exe Linker Error:
> #   Undefined symbol: _isascii in
> #      gen_test_char.obj
> ### mwcc Driver Error:
> #   linker 'D:\CWCMDL40\mwld.exe' returned with exit code 1
AFAICT NetWare  doesn't have the leading '_'.
Norm

Re: An abbreviated background to this build error?

Posted by William A Rowe Jr <wr...@rowe-clan.net>.
On Tue, Aug 2, 2016 at 6:38 AM, NormW <no...@gknw.net> wrote:

> G/E;
> Building for NetWare after 3+ months elsewhere, an get the following build
> error:
>
>> Creating Build Helper gen_test_char.exe
>> ### mwld.exe Linker Error:
>> #   Undefined symbol: _isascii in
>> #      gen_test_char.obj
>> ### mwcc Driver Error:
>> #   linker 'D:\CWCMDL40\mwld.exe' returned with exit code 1
>>
> AFAICT NetWare  doesn't have the leading '_'.
> Norm

Generally, the c compiler/linker prefix their built-ins with '_'.

It appears that isascii() may simply be unsupported on that platform.

No compiler error messages?

From the man page...

C99, 4.3BSD. C89 specifies all of these functions except *isascii*() and
*isblank*(). *isascii*() is a BSD extension and is also an SVr4 extension.
*isblank*() conforms to POSIX.1-2001 and C99 7.4.1.3. POSIX.1-2008 marks
*isascii*() as obsolete, noting that it cannot be used portably in a
localized application.

... So this was never portable anyways, and we should be using
the alternate macro as found in apr_lib.h.

Fixed on trunk, thanks for the report