Posted to dev@maven.apache.org by Brett Porter <bp...@f2network.com.au> on 2004/04/20 01:00:39 UTC

Maven-plugins WAS: [Vote] Arnaud Heritier as a committer

There's a few discussions here, so on each point:

Arnaud: +1 to Arnaud (welcome!)
HOWEVER: my understanding is that 3 x +1 is not enough to jump in - aren't
we required to wait 24 hours so those on the other side of the planet have a
chance to -1? (Not that this is necessary in this case, I just notice it
happening lately :)

Maven-plugins committers:
+1 to separate maven-plugins committers
HOWEVER, I don't think maintenance of one plugin is enough, they need to be
interested in helping out in several areas.
I think we should move out fringe plugins, not just keep maven-core plugins.

We should keep maven-plugins as the ones most used by our core users
(somewhat more than 10, especially considering the reports) and build a set
of developers willing to look after them. At the moment we have myself,
dion, Emmanuel and Vincent doing this. We can hopefully add Arnaud to this
list. We need to ask who else here wants to be involved in this in the Maven
1.x timeframe, and reassess when future releases start happening. From this
list, we need someone to volunteer for every plugin. Anything left over gets
marked as dead and we need to document it as such so that we can manage
user's expectations. If it is needed, hopefully the umbrella project will
own it (such as has happened with cactus, statcvs and so on), or someone
will put their hand up to join the sourceforge project and take it over
there.
Let's get this in motion now. I'll release a bunch of them for RC3, but from
there I only want the plugin lead doing so, and on a timeframe that suits
the plugin, not the distribution.

Other stuff:
- yes, you can put an alternative remote repository in project.properties
for your plugin, and your plugin dependencies get pulled from there. This is
really helpful.
- I don't remember, I think there was something, but its early :)

Cheers,
Brett

Re: Maven-plugins WAS: [Vote] Arnaud Heritier as a committer

Posted by Jason van Zyl <jv...@maven.org>.
On Mon, 2004-04-19 at 19:00, Brett Porter wrote:
> There's a few discussions here, so on each point:
>
> Arnaud: +1 to Arnaud (welcome!)
> HOWEVER: my understanding is that 3 x +1 is not enough to jump in - aren't
> we required to wait 24 hours so those on the other side of the planet have a
> chance to -1?

For a committer who recommends another commiter it is really a formality
of 3 +1s coming in as when one committer recommends another that's
pretty much all it takes.

> Maven-plugins committers:
> +1 to separate maven-plugins committers
> HOWEVER, I don't think maintenance of one plugin is enough, they need to be
> interested in helping out in several areas.
> I think we should move out fringe plugins, not just keep maven-core plugins.
>
> We should keep maven-plugins as the ones most used by our core users
> (somewhat more than 10, especially considering the reports) and build a set
> of developers willing to look after them.

And the approach building a set of developers for the plugins? If it's
akin to what has happened with Arnaud that would be an excellent thing.
A track record of producing good quality patches and recognized by
someone else trying to take care of that plugin. I think Vincent also
mentioned Fabrizio wrt the announce plugin. This approach is fine, I
think asking the general populace of users if they wish to help maintain
a plugin where they have no record of having done so before is not fine.
Just to be clear, I assume you're not saying this is like we're asking
for applications for plugin maintainers.

--
jvz.

Jason van Zyl
jason@maven.org