Posted to dev@tapestry.apache.org by Jamie Orchard-Hays <ja...@dang.com> on 2005/06/09 21:53:05 UTC

Annotations Excitement

I am curious about the excitement about annotations in Tapestry as an
alternative to page a component specifications. In what situations do
you see the advantage of annotated Java files--which must be
compiled--over the xml specifications--which do not.

I'm very partial to the fact that I can reload my changes without
recompiling.

Jamie

Re: Annotations Excitement

Posted by Howard Lewis Ship <hl...@gmail.com>.
I generally see it as a big advantage when creating base classes;
those base classes can now use annotations to inject things like ASOs
or HiveMind services. Subclassing those base classes gets that
injection, plus whatever is specified in the real page or component's
XML specification.

This is the first step on the way to making components "subclassable"
in way not possible with the XML.  I've been loathe to handle the case
of merging information provided in multiple XML descriptors, but the
Java annotations support handles that for me.

On 6/9/05, Jamie Orchard-Hays <ja...@dang.com> wrote:
> I am curious about the excitement about annotations in Tapestry as an
> alternative to page a component specifications. In what situations do
> you see the advantage of annotated Java files--which must be
> compiled--over the xml specifications--which do not.
>
> I'm very partial to the fact that I can reload my changes without
> recompiling.
>
> Jamie

Howard M. Lewis Ship
Creator, Jakarta Tapestry