Posted to wss4j-dev@ws.apache.org by George Stanchev <Gs...@serena.com> on 2008/04/08 02:46:21 UTC

X509NameTokenizer.java

Hi,

Since you're starting to talk about cutting a new release, I decided to
throw this isssue in. I already raised this problem in an earlier
email.The Eclipse Foundation IP review rejected wss4j 1.5.latest for
aproval in its projects because of this file (found under
src\org\apache\ws\security\components\crypto) contains a comment:

/*
 * This source is a plain copy from bouncycastle software.
 * Thus:
 * Copyright (c) 2000 The Legion Of The Bouncy Castle
(http://www.bouncycastle.org)
 */

Apparently there are some legal issues with BC - they are being sued
somewhere in Europe for inclusion of a patented algorithm and Eclipse
Legal wants to stay away from anything BC. They noted the ripoff code
comment and alarms started ringing. However that stops us of including
WSS4J in an Eclipse project I am commiter of and makes things
complicated for our users.

Besides all that, the X509Tokenizer included in wss4j is very simple and
rudamentary and doesn't conform to RFC2253. In fact in X509 certs with
more complex DNs it would give incorrect results.

So in light of all this, and with the fact that Apache XML-Security
1.4.x already has a nice RFC2253 parser, can we replace the file in
question with the version assigned to this email? It uses the
XML-Security DN parser and just creates a wrapper with same WSS4J
interface already implemented and consumed now. I copied 2 utility
functions (trim() and countQuotes() from there locally and based the
constructor on the RFC2253Parser normalize() method (same logic).
Instead of lazily evaluating the DN, I construct an ArrayList with to
hold the tokenized OIDs).

If a WSS4J commiter can take a look at it and people think its OK, I
will open a JIRA and attach the file to it. Please let me know, and if
we can fix this issue, it would be really nice.

Thanks in advance,

George Stanchev

This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential and intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender by reply e-mail and destroy all copies of the original message.

RE: X509NameTokenizer.java

Posted by George Stanchev <Gs...@serena.com>.
Yeah, that was funny. I used the existing class' shell and forgot to
delete it. Now, it's removed it in the attachment assigned to the JIRA
issue:

https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/WSS-107

Thx!

Best Regards,
George

Posted by Ruchith Fernando <ru...@gmail.com>.
Also I noticed that you still have the afore mentioned comment in
question in the file you attached ... we can safely take it off right?
:-)

--
http://blog.ruchith.org
http://wso2.org