Posted to dev@lucene.apache.org by Otis Gospodnetic <ot...@yahoo.com> on 2002/06/09 22:31:32 UTC

Dates before 1970

Hello,

It looks like DateField.timeToString method won't allow negative dates
(i.e. dates before 1.1.1970).
If one tries to index a pre-1970 date the following happens:

java.lang.RuntimeException: time too early
	at org.apache.lucene.document.DateField.timeToString(Unknown Source)
	at org.apache.lucene.document.DateField.dateToString(Unknown Source)

I am not the first one to encounter this error.  Philip Ogren hit this
problem a long time ago:
http://nagoya.apache.org/eyebrowse/ReadMsg?listName=lucene-dev@jakarta.apache.org&msgId=114911

Does anyone have a workaround?
In the above message Philip Ogren mentions only a documentation change,
but I think he also submitted a patch, which I now cannot locate.

Does anyone have this patch?

Thanks,
Otis

Re: Dates before 1970

Posted by Otis Gospodnetic <ot...@yahoo.com>.
Hello,

Ok, I found Philip's patch here:
http://nagoya.apache.org/eyebrowse/ReadMsg?listName=lucene-user@jakarta.apache.org&msgId=116180

Am I missing something or is this patch specific to Philip's
application?  I'm referring to the DATE_OFFSET value of 200 years.
Is there any way of making it more generic?
For instance, I'm dealing with dates whose values I do not know ahead
of time.  Some dates that I see are 09-Jun-102 or 25-Oct-100.  These
are dates returned by various broken web servers out there.  These
particular dates should obviously be 09-Jun-2002 and 25-Oct-2000.

What can we do in DateField to allow indexing of dates before 1970?
Does anyone have any suggestions?

Otis