Posted to dev@felix.apache.org by Felix Meschberger <fm...@adobe.com> on 2016/10/28 08:08:24 UTC

json.org library use

Hi all

Over at legal-discuss there is a discussion of whether the json.org library with the amended MIT license (remember the „use for good not evil“ clause ?) should be „banned“ by reconsidering the „A“ rating of this license (assuming the clause is just a joke) and turning it into an „X“ rating (don’t use based on Debian’s and other’s considerations:

https://wiki.debian.org/qa.debian.org/jsonevil
https://www.cnet.com/news/dont-be-evil-google-spurns-no-evil-software/

It is not decided yet. But for the web console we should probably be prepared.

Plenty of alternatives exist: Jackson, GSon, and IMHO quite interesting javax.json (https://json-processing-spec.java.net/) with a RI from glassfish (https://jsonp.java.net/).

Assuming we would have to change things, I propose we reimplement the API of the json.org library with javax.json using the Glassfish RI.

WDYT ?

Regards
Felix

Re: json.org library use

Posted by Neil Bartlett <nj...@gmail.com>.
The Maven artefact "org.robolectric:android-all" seems to provide that package, along with unfortunately the entire of the rest of Android.

It’s quite difficult to find because most searches yield the original Crockford library.

Neil

Re: json.org library use

Posted by Carsten Ziegeler <cz...@apache.org>.
Neil Bartlett wrote

Re: json.org library use

Posted by Neil Bartlett <nj...@gmail.com>.

Re: json.org library use

Posted by Carsten Ziegeler <cz...@apache.org>.
Felix Meschberger wrote

Re: json.org library use

Posted by Achim Nierbeck <bc...@googlemail.com>.
AFAIK there is even an Apache JSon lib available.
Johnson.apache.org

Regards, Achim

--

Apache Member