Posted to user@cassandra.apache.org by Derek Barnes <sj...@gmail.com> on 2012/04/15 19:13:56 UTC

Long Startup Times

Hi,

I have 2 column families with approx 50 GB of compressed data (~150GB
uncompressed).  The data resides in a keyspace replicated 2-way, hosted by
a 2-node Cassandra cluster (v1.0.8), both with 74GB RAM and 16 cores.
 Key caches are set to 1.0.

I'm noticing that it can take upwards of 15+ minutes for the node to start
up (i.e. before it becomes responsive to thrift clients).  During this
time, the logs suggest the system is blocked opening the data files.

Is this expected behaviour?  Are there any best practices for reducing node
startup time?

Thanks in advance!

Re: Long Startup Times

Posted by aaron morton <aa...@thelastpickle.com>.
If you start with DEBUG logging (or just enable logging for SSTableReader) you will get some more information on what's taking time at startup.

If you want to dig a little further take a look at the iostat and cpu load. During startup a thread is created for each core on the machine and used to open a file. I've wondered if this could overload the IO on machines that report 16 cores.

You'll see messages like this INFO [SSTableBatchOpen:1] where the number is the thread number.

Cheers

Aaron Morton
Freelance Developer
@aaronmorton