Posted to users@activemq.apache.org by suri009 <su...@diagonal-consulting.com> on 2007/02/23 11:05:10 UTC

Re: [Spam: 5.0] ActiveMq (JMS) API call Send hangs after certain number of sends.

Hi James,

Number of consumers as 5 -6 and they are connected to ActiveMq topic.

ActiveMq firing the messages (1-2 MB) every 2-15 sec initially when i start
sender and ActiveMq. But when the time goes send API takes almost 60 sec to
fire a message and then then it hangs after certain sends. We have increased
the network connection to 100Mbit full duplex but still we are seeing this
problem.

I am trying to look at possible reasons for this to happen:
1) Is there any possibility that slow consumers makes this situation to
happen? I am already using jms.useAsyncSend=true while connection. Are there
any parameters that i can set to prevent the send to hang and make it faster
as well if possible.

2) Does the message size (1-2MB) have any casue for send to take long time?

Thanks very much,
Surya

I'm not sure - what does the current system state look like in JMX?
(How many consumers, what their status is etc)

Re: [Spam: 5.0] ActiveMq (JMS) API call Send hangs after certain number of sends.

Posted by James Strachan <ja...@gmail.com>.
On 2/23/07, suri009 <su...@diagonal-consulting.com> wrote:

> Hi James,
>
> Number of consumers as 5 -6 and they are connected to ActiveMq topic.
>
> ActiveMq firing the messages (1-2 MB) every 2-15 sec initially when i start
> sender and ActiveMq. But when the time goes send API takes almost 60 sec to
> fire a message and then then it hangs after certain sends. We have increased
> the network connection to 100Mbit full duplex but still we are seeing this
> problem.
>
> I am trying to look at possible reasons for this to happen:
> 1) Is there any possibility that slow consumers makes this situation to
> happen? I am already using jms.useAsyncSend=true while connection. Are there
> any parameters that i can set to prevent the send to hang and make it faster
> as well if possible.

So using async send makes things go crazy fast on the producer side
(as the caller doesn't block waiting for the send to actually occur).
Until you get things sorted,  you might wanna disable this as its
giving a false impression of how fast your network is.

Using async send, sending lots of data is a surefire way of getting
slow consumer issues (where the consumers can't keep up with
producers) or massive RAM usage on the broker side which will cause
the producer to hang until the consumers catch up.

FWIW in trunk / 4.2-SNAPSHOT there is spool-to-disk support so that
the broker doesn't need to use up tons of RAM when you have bursts of
fast producers and slow consumers.

> 2) Does the message size (1-2MB) have any casue for send to take long time?

The bigger the message, the longer it'll take to send & the more RAM
used on the broker which could increase swapping on a low RAM box

--

James
-------