Posted to bsf-dev@jakarta.apache.org by "Rony G. Flatscher" <Ro...@wu-wien.ac.at> on 2005/08/27 22:34:11 UTC

Keeping the Apache-BSF site (and downloads) really up-to-date ?

Hi there,

looking through the Apache-BSF site via the given links gives the
impression, as if the technology has not been changed since three years,
which is not true at all. E.g. there is no "current build", nor an
update on the HTML files pointing to new languages which support BSF
(like ooRexx, JLog etc.).

Also, officially BSF is in "beta" and not yet in production. Before we
can officially tackle a JSR-223 compliant implementation of BSF, we
would need to create a BSF 2.0 production version.

Short of having any working knowledge about the necessary Apache-style
steps, I would like to ask anyone in the know what the next steps would
be (administrative wise).

Regards,

---rony

P.S.: W.r.t. then next version, one thing I could offer (if there is
interest at all) is to "seal off" all of the Java code I created to
support the scripting engines REXX As that scripting language only deals
with strings as datatype, all the interfaces into Java are string based
(even those interacting with single-/multidimensional arrays of any
type). This means that probably any programming language that is able to
deal with strings, will be able to take advantage of that infrastructure.

Re: Keeping the Apache-BSF site (and downloads) really up-to-date ?

Posted by Sanka Samaranayake <ss...@gmail.com>.
Rony G. Flatscher wrote:

> Hi Sanka,
>
>>> Basically .. let's get a beta ready of the BSF 2.3 family and then
>>> put it out.
>>

>> +1!
>>
>>> There's a process - need to get approval from the PMC but they
>>> don't usually second guess the committers and go thru the release
>>> process.
>>> Someone needs to become release manager and write a release plan
>>> (basically an email listing what we intend to release and when etc.
>>> etc.). We vote on it and then we do the approval stuff.
>>>
>>> Are you able to run the process?
>>

>> +1! -- lets appoint Rony as the release manager for this project  :) !!
>

> :)
>
> Will be off for a few weeks (see other post),

B-) !!

> but maybe, if everyone helps together we can plan to get BSF GA in
> October out the door, then look at JSR-223, if it has stabiized and
> make BSF 3.0 as an opensource implementation of JSR-223 available as a
> beta, trying to get the BSF 2 engines pluggable into it one way or the
> other.

+1! sounds good to me !!

> Regards,
>
> ---rony

Sanka

Re: Keeping the Apache-BSF site (and downloads) really up-to-date ?

Posted by "Rony G. Flatscher" <Ro...@wu-wien.ac.at>.
Hi Sanka,

>> Basically .. let's get a beta ready of the BSF 2.3 family and then
>> put it out.
>
> +1!
>
>> There's a process - need to get approval from the PMC but they
>> don't usually second guess the committers and go thru the release
>> process.
>> Someone needs to become release manager and write a release plan
>> (basically an email listing what we intend to release and when etc.
>> etc.). We vote on it and then we do the approval stuff.
>>
>> Are you able to run the process?
>
> +1! -- lets appoint Rony as the release manager for this project  :) !!

:)

Will be off for a few weeks (see other post), but maybe, if everyone

Posted by Sanka Samaranayake <ss...@gmail.com>.
Sanjiva Weerawarana wrote:

>Basically .. let's get a beta ready of the BSF 2.3 family and then put
>it out.

+1!

>There's a process - need to get approval from the PMC but they
>don't usually second guess the committers and go thru the release
>process.
>
>Someone needs to become release manager and write a release plan
>(basically an email listing what we intend to release and when etc.
>etc.). We vote on it and then we do the approval stuff.
>
>Are you able to run the process?

+1! -- lets appoint Rony as the release manager for this project  :) !!

>I will help as u need it!
>Thanks,
>
>Sanjiva.
>
>On Sat, 2005-08-27 at 22:34 +0200, Rony G. Flatscher wrote:

Regards !!
Sanka

Posted by "Rony G. Flatscher" <Ro...@wu-wien.ac.at>.
Hi Sanjiva,

>Basically .. let's get a beta ready of the BSF 2.3 family and then put
>it out. There's a process - need to get approval from the PMC but they
>don't usually second guess the committers and go thru the release
>process.
>
>Someone needs to become release manager and write a release plan
>(basically an email listing what we intend to release and when etc.
>etc.). We vote on it and then we do the approval stuff.
>
>Are you able to run the process? I will help as u need it!

Well, am at the step to take off for three weeks (going NYC, yeah!).
Also, I am absolutely clueless at the moment about the right procedural
steps in the realm of the Apache foundation one has to take; obviously,
I do not want to harm/hurt any cultural habits.

What about Victor Orlikowski? My impression has been that he has been
the main "maintainer" of BSF here at Apache. He is also active in the
JCP JSR-223 group and brings in his expertise. Obviously, he seems to be
overworked (but then, everyone else, I guess is as well).

I think it is important to get BSF as GA out the door (Victor had a few
plans, e.g. to remove the debugging interface, which did not work out as
expected, and maybe some other things) and automate the updating.

So Victor, if you read this, could you please help us assess what you
could do/help in this project at the moment?

Regards,

---rony

Re: Keeping the Apache-BSF site (and downloads) really up-to-date ?

Posted by Sanjiva Weerawarana <sa...@opensource.lk>.