Posted to modperl@perl.apache.org by Stas Bekman <st...@stason.org> on 2002/11/26 01:26:04 UTC

adding "company Foo uses mod_perl" ads

As I was leaving Vegas I saw that billboard saying:

   Adidas
     uses
      SAP

And I suppose that they run a bunch of similar ads using other big
companies names. I think this is an interesting approach of advertising,
where instead of advertising the merits of your product or going down on
your competitors, you use a concrete example of a well known company
that uses your software.

So I thought to myself that in addition to our collection of:
http://perl.apache.org/outstanding/sites.html
http://perl.apache.org/outstanding/success_stories/index.html
it'd be interesting to add some small ads similar to the ones used by
SAP, though on the left menu bar at perl.apache.org, rather than
billboards. e.g.

"TicketMaster uses mod_perl"
"InternetMovieDatabase uses mod_perl"
"Slashdot uses mod_perl"
etc.

Of course if folks are willing to put them on their sites, that would be
great too. But my point here is that when an IT person comes to
perl.apache.org but who is still not convinced that mod_perl is
something that he wants, this kind of local ads can help to make the
right decision :)

I guess a simple ImageMagic/GD script that glues the name on the
prepared base and doing some color alternation will do the work of
making several such ads without manual labour. And then we can randomly
spread these at the perl.apache.org pages. Of course it'd be cool to use
SVG, but unfortunately we are a long way before major browsers will
support it and having users having these newer browsers :(

Re: adding "company Foo uses mod_perl" ads

Posted by Stas Bekman <st...@stason.org>.
Ken Y. Clark wrote:
> On Tue, 26 Nov 2002, Stas Bekman wrote:
>

>>advertising the merits of your product or going down on your competitors
>                                           ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>
> For future reference, this phrase has certain ... um ... sexual
> connotations, at least in the US.  :-o

And that's exactly what some of them do... without involving implicit
sex though ;)

Re: adding "company Foo uses mod_perl" ads

Posted by "Ken Y. Clark" <kc...@logsoft.com>.
On Tue, 26 Nov 2002, Stas Bekman wrote:

> advertising the merits of your product or going down on your competitors
                                            ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

For future reference, this phrase has certain ... um ... sexual
connotations, at least in the US.  :-o

(Of course, so does the way I sign my e-mails.  ;-)

ky

Re: adding "company Foo uses mod_perl" ads

Posted by Tom Servo <to...@cnw.com>.
You're absolutely right about this, more importantly that IT manglement
tends to be really impressed by that.    It doesn't seem to matter how
many advantages I espouse to my managers here, nothing convinces them more
quickly than "Company X uses mod_perl."   Kinda like they're not willing
to come up with their own decisions :)

I find that "We used ____ at eToys" works far better than reasons *why* we
used it.

You know you're going to have a bad day when you see the sun come up.
Over the curb.
Brian Nilsen
tomservo@cnw.com