Posted to dev@mina.apache.org by Ashish <pa...@gmail.com> on 2009/02/02 09:12:59 UTC

[Wiki] Discussion Pages

We have couple of Discussion pages

LoggingFilter discussion
MdcInjectionFilter discussion
NoopFilter discussion
ProfilerTimerFilter discussion
ProtocolCodec discussion

>From the content they are being used for discussing the implementation
proposals.

Few things

1. Should we create JIRA issues for such things and track from there.
As of now we may miss them
2. The current page locations in the hierarchy is misleading. They
should be somewhere under
    Roadmap -> IoFilter-> ......  . or it can be something else. The
idea is to have the reader easy to find
    what all changes are being discussed and increase User's
participation there.

Any other thoughts are welcome.

- ashish

Re: [Wiki] Discussion Pages

Posted by Ashish <pa...@gmail.com>.

> I created those pages back in september, while I was trying to
> 'reverse-engineer'  these filters. They were supposed to describe what
> the filters are doing, and eventually propose improvement.

>> Few things
>>
>> 1. Should we create JIRA issues for such things and track from there.
>> As of now we may miss them
>
> I don't know... I guess that we need a page per filter, assuming that
> this page describes what the filter does, not discussing about what it
> should do ...

Agree. and as of now some of the pages are missing :-(

>> 2. The current page locations in the hierarchy is misleading. They
>> should be somewhere under
>>    Roadmap -> IoFilter-> ......  . or it can be something else. The
>> idea is to have the reader easy to find
>>    what all changes are being discussed and increase User's
>> participation there.
>
> When it comes to making a choice, I think that the ML is the best
> place. Naming those pages 'Discussion' was an error.

> I suggest we get rid of all the useless part of those pages, just
> keeping what is important from the user POV. They should enter into
> the 'User Guide' category...

Agree. Let me see if we can rename pages. I doubt that. So once we
have documentation in
stable shape, will work towards reorganizing the site, after asking
feedback from Community.
Will try to fix the pages as much as I can.

I know I am running late in fixing my JIRA issue

- ashish

Re: [Wiki] Discussion Pages

Posted by Emmanuel Lecharny <el...@apache.org>.
On Mon, Feb 2, 2009 at 9:12 AM, Ashish <pa...@gmail.com> wrote:
> We have couple of Discussion pages
>
> LoggingFilter discussion
> MdcInjectionFilter discussion
> NoopFilter discussion
> ProfilerTimerFilter discussion
> ProtocolCodec discussion
>
> From the content they are being used for discussing the implementation
> proposals.

I created those pages back in september, while I was trying to
'reverse-engineer'  these filters. They were supposed to describe what
the filters are doing, and eventually propose improvement.

> Few things
>
> 1. Should we create JIRA issues for such things and track from there.
> As of now we may miss them

I don't know... I guess that we need a page per filter, assuming that
this page describes what the filter does, not discussing about what it
should do ...

> 2. The current page locations in the hierarchy is misleading. They
> should be somewhere under
>    Roadmap -> IoFilter-> ......  . or it can be something else. The
> idea is to have the reader easy to find
>    what all changes are being discussed and increase User's
> participation there.

When it comes to making a choice, I think that the ML is the best
place. Naming those pages 'Discussion' was an error.

I suggest we get rid of all the useless part of those pages, just
keeping what is important from the user POV. They should enter into
the 'User Guide' category...

Cordialement,
Emmanuel Lécharny
www.iktek.com