Posted to dev@carbondata.apache.org by xm_zzc <44...@qq.com> on 2018/04/25 16:09:21 UTC

Change the 'comment' content for column when execute command 'desc formatted table_name'

Hi dev:
  Currently the 'comment' content for column is ambiguous and unclear when
execute command 'desc formatted table_name', for example:
  ran create table sql:
  CREATE TABLE IF NOT EXISTS test_table (
    id INT,
    name STRING,
    city STRING,
    salary LONG,
    tax DOUBLE
    )
    STORED BY 'carbondata'
    TBLPROPERTIES(
    'streaming'='false', 'sort_columns'='name,id',
'dictionary_include'='name');

  and then ran 'desc formatted test_table', it showed the content below:
  |col_name  |data_type     |comment                                     |
  +----------+--------------+--------------------------------------------+
  |id        |int           |KEY COLUMN,NOINVERTEDINDEX,null             |
  |name      |string        |DICTIONARY, KEY COLUMN,null                 |
  |city      |string        |KEY COLUMN,null                             |
  |salary    |bigint        |MEASURE,null                                |
  |tax       |double        |MEASURE,null                                |
  |          |              |                                            |

  1. what's the 'KEY COLUMN' mean? all document do not describe this
concept, just introduce dimension column, measure column, inverted index,
dictionary column and so on.
  2. Actually 'city' field is just a dimension column and does not have
inverted index, but 'id', 'name' and 'city' field are shown as 'KEY COLUMN',
how to distinguish between them?

  So IMO, We can show more detailed information on 'comment' column and
remove 'KEY COLUMN' description, for example:
  run 'desc formatted test_table', it can show the content below:
  |col_name  |data_type     |comment                                     |
  +----------+--------------+--------------------------------------------+
  |id        |int           |DIMENSION,NOINVERTEDINDEX,null              |
  |name      |string        |DIMENSION,DICTIONARY,INVERTEDINDEX,null     |
  |city      |string        |DIMENSION,null                              |
  |salary    |bigint        |MEASURE,null                                |
  |tax       |double        |MEASURE,null                                |
  |          |              |                                            |

  How about this change? Any suggestion for this? Please let me know.

Re: Change the 'comment' content for column when execute command 'desc formatted table_name'

Posted by Liang Chen <ch...@gmail.com>.
Hi

Thank you started the discussion.

Propose to completely optimize this part, my suggestion as below :

CREATE TABLE IF NOT EXISTS test_table (
    id INT COMMENT 'device id for sensor XYZ',
    name STRING,
    salary LONG,
    tax DOUBLE
    )
PARTITIONED BY (city STRING)
STORED BY 'carbondata'
TBLPROPERTIES('SORT_COLUMNS'='name,id','NO_INVERTED_INDEX'='id','DICTIONARY_INCLUDE'='name')

## Table Schema Information
|col_name  |data_type     |comment                                     |
+----------+--------------+--------------------------------------------+
|id        |int           |device id for sensor XYZ
|name      |string        |
|city      |string        |
|salary    |bigint        |
|tax       |double        |

## Table Basic Information
|Database Name                       |default
|Table Name                          |test_table
|CARBON Store Path                   |/Users/apple/DEMO/presto_test/data
|Comment                             |
|Table Data Size                     |0
|Table Index Size                    |0
|Last Update Time                    |0

## Detailed Table Properties Information
|SORT_COLUMNS             |name,id
|NO_INVERTED_INDEX        |id
|DICTIONARY_INCLUDE       |name
|TABLE_BLOCKSIZE          |1024 MB
|SORT_SCOPE               |LOCAL_SORT
|STREAMING                |false

## Detailed Partition Information
|PARTITION_COLUMNS        |city

## Location Path

## As Select_statement

Regards
Liang

xm_zzc wrote

*
*
*
*
*

*
*
*
*

Posted by Liang Chen <ch...@gmail.com>.
Hi Ravi

Good thinking.

Because the inverted index columns by default are the same as sort_column
columns,  from the user perspective, he only need to set no_inverted_index
columns in sort_column columns,  so i proposed to display only the
no_inverted_index columns info which be set by user.

Anyway, in "data management on carbondata" need to update the info: inverted
index columns by default be enabled along with sort_columns....

Regards
Liang

ravipesala wrote

Posted by Ravindra Pesala <ra...@gmail.com>.

Sent from Mailspring (https://link.getmailspring.com/link/1524723947.local-c273b69b-15c2-v1.2.1-7e7447b6@getmailspring.com/0?redirect=https%3A%2F%2Fgetmailspring.com%2F&recipient=ZGV2QGNhcmJvbmRhdGEuYXBhY2hlLm9yZw%3D%3D), the best free email app for work

Posted by xm_zzc <44...@qq.com>.
please see:

Re: Change the 'comment' content for column when execute command 'desc formatted table_name'

Posted by xuchuanyin <xu...@hust.edu.cn>.
Then what's the final output looks like?

Re: Change the 'comment' content for column when execute command 'desc formatted table_name'

Posted by xm_zzc <44...@qq.com>.
hi, xuchuanyin:
  I can raise a pr for this change in a few days.

Re: Change the 'comment' content for column when execute command 'desc formatted table_name'

Posted by xuchuanyin <xu...@hust.edu.cn>.
How is this going?
Who can make a final conclusion?

Re: Change the 'comment' content for column when execute command 'desc formatted table_name'

Posted by xm_zzc <44...@qq.com>.
Hi Jacky:
  OK, I have uploaded attachments to CARBONDATA-2595:
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CARBONDATA-2595
<https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CARBONDATA-2595>  , please take a
look.

Re: Change the 'comment' content for column when execute command 'desc formatted table_name'

Posted by Jacky Li <ja...@qq.com>.
Hi ZZC,

Can you create a JIRA ticket and upload the design doc, in mail list we can not get the attachment

Regards,
Jacky

Posted by xm_zzc <44...@qq.com>.
Hi all:
  Got it, thanks for your suggestions, I will implement this and raise a pr.

Re: Change the 'comment' content for column when execute command 'desc formatted table_name'

Posted by Ravindra Pesala <ra...@gmail.com>.
Yes, I agree with Liang. We no need to consider showing sql in describe
table in case of CTAS.

Regards
Ravindra

Thanks & Regards,
Ravi

Re: Change the 'comment' content for column when execute command 'desc formatted table_name'

Posted by Raghunandan S <ca...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Liang Chen <ch...@gmail.com>.
Hi

Posted by Jacky Li <ja...@qq.com>.
Hi ZZC,

Posted by Jacky Li <ja...@qq.com>.

> 在 2018年4月26日,下午1:04,manishgupta88 <to...@gmail.com> 写道:
>
> I agree with Liang. We can modify the complete describe formatted command
> display and show the detailed information as suggested by Liang.
> Liang we can make a small change in your suggestion. As we are displaying
> the information to the user we should not include Underscore(_) in the
> property names and in place of DICTIONARY_INCLUDE and DICTIONARY_EXCLUDE we
> can just say Dictionary columns and No Dictionary Columns.

Likun:  I think it is better to print the table property name and value as it is defined by the user, and only the table properties should be print in a proper order, for example:
Sort related: SORT_COLUMNS, SORT_SCOPE
Encoding related: DICTIONARY_INCLUDE, NO_INVERTED_INDEX
Other properties: TABLE_BLOCKSIZE, STREAMING, etc

Posted by manishgupta88 <to...@gmail.com>.
I agree with Liang. We can modify the complete describe formatted command
display and show the detailed information as suggested by Liang.
Liang we can make a small change in your suggestion. As we are displaying
the information to the user we should not include Underscore(_) in the
property names and in place of DICTIONARY_INCLUDE and DICTIONARY_EXCLUDE we
can just say Dictionary columns and No Dictionary Columns.

## Detailed Table Properties Information
|Sort Columns             |name,id
|No Inverted Index      |id
|Dictionary Columns    |name
|Table BlockSize          |1024 MB
|Sort Scope                |LOCAL_SORT
|Streaming                 |false

Regards
Manish Gupta

Re: Change the 'comment' content for column when execute command 'desc formatted table_name'

Posted by Venkata Gollamudi <g....@gmail.com>.
I agree with Liang, Better we align with create table terminology and
properties. Details of properties, user can easily get from Create table
DDL documentation.

Regards,
Ramana

Posted by Liang Chen <ch...@gmail.com>.
Hi

Attaching my proposed "desc_table_info":
desc_table_info.txt
<http://apache-carbondata-dev-mailing-list-archive.1130556.n5.nabble.com/file/t1/desc_table_info.txt>

Regards
Liang

Re: Change the 'comment' content for column when execute command 'desc formatted table_name'

Posted by Jacky Li <ja...@qq.com>.
The example is missing in my last mail, now I have put the example in
CARBONDATA-3087 <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CARBONDATA-3087>  ,
please go to the JIRA and reply if you have any comment

Regards,
Jacky

Re: Change the 'comment' content for column when execute command 'desc formatted table_name'

Posted by Jacky Li <ja...@qq.com>.
Hi,

I revisit this discussion again, and suggest to change the DESC FORMATTED
output to following:

The information is outline in 6 sections:
1. Table basic information
2. Index information
3. Encoding information
4. Compaction information
5. Partition information (only for partition table)
6. Dynamic information

Please check whether it contains enough information of your preference, I
will create a JIRA and PR soon.

Regards,
Jacky

Re: Change the 'comment' content for column when execute command 'desc formatted table_name'

Posted by Jacky Li <ja...@qq.com>.
I think for all table property that documented in  https://github.com/apache/carbondata/blob/master/docs/ddl-of-carbondata.md <https://github.com/apache/carbondata/blob/master/docs/ddl-of-carbondata.md>, we should write their values in the schema file.
Because the default value for these properties may change, if they are changes, user will not know what is the table property that was used when writing the file.

Regards,
Jacky Li

Posted by xm_zzc <44...@qq.com>.
Hi:

Posted by Jacky Li <ja...@qq.com>.
Looking at the DESC FORMATTED command again, I still feel it is not very
clear for the table property section.
For table properties, I think it is not very good for DESC command to print
the default value if the user does not specify when creating the table.
Because the default value in CarbonCommonConstain file may change from
version to version, I think it is better to always write the default value
to table property (in schema file) when loading the table. Then in DESC
table, we can always get the table properties from the schema file.

So I suggest we do following:
1. categorize the properties into file level, table level, system level
2. write the file level property into data file's footer, including all file
level properties either specified by user or from default value.
3. write the table level property into schema file, including all table
level properties either specified by user or from default value.
4. DESC command should print the properties read from the schema file, which
should contain all table level properties.

Another suggestion is that besides just printing the schema and table
properties like the standard hive DESC command, we can introduce another
command to print the output from calling CarbonCli tool for more profiling
and debugging information, like writing how many files the table contains,
what is the average size of page/blocklet, min/max percentage etc. For
example, the syntax of this command can be "SUMMARY table_name"

Regards,
Jacky