Posted to dev@excalibur.apache.org by Leo Simons <ma...@leosimons.com> on 2005/03/16 14:47:57 UTC

Board Report Draft

Hi gang,

As usual, the board report draft is at

  http://wiki.apache.org/excalibur/BoardReports/20050323

I'd like to send it tomorrow morning, so if you would like anything to be
changed or added, please be quick :-D.

Cheers,

Leo

Re: Board Report Draft

Posted by Niclas Hedhman <ni...@hedhman.org>.
On Sunday 20 March 2005 01:01, Leo Simons wrote:
> What triggered your e-mail?

Just surprised that it was not in any way mentioned a priori to the community
that you were leaving and just seeing a note that "Ooops, you exposed that a
new chair had been elected/recommended... "

Thanks for your efforts...

Niclas

Re: Board Report Draft

Posted by Leo Simons <ma...@leosimons.com>.
Hi Niclas!

On 19-03-2005 07:40, "Niclas Hedhman" <ni...@hedhman.org> wrote:
> On Thursday 17 March 2005 05:04, Leo Simons wrote:
>
>> I just sent that seperately. I figured that'd reduce the chances of the
>> resolution slipping through. And I figured not to mention anywhere publicly
>> that you're going to be our new chair so you had the fun of maybe
>> generating some positive energy from the resulting uproar; guess that's too
>> late now

I'm not so sure what you're getting at below. What triggered your e-mail?

> Wow. New Chair without any community notifications or feedback??

Uhm, notification should probably happen after the fact. What kinda feedback
are you invisioning?

> Is that a good "community building" attitude?

Uhm. Well. I don't see how the VP position has anything to do with community
building. Communities are for building themselves. Basically the only thing
the VP does is report on that to the board every few months.

> Shouldn't the community at least be consulted?

What would the community say? Why? What should be done with that feedback?

> (Not implying that I am against Aaron as Chair nor that a wider community
> would have any feedback on it.)

I'd hope any feedback would be positive!

Now, it might be true that in the general case it could make sense to be
more public about this discussion. I apologize if anyone feels left out in
any way.

In this particular case, I just didn't think about it that much and raised
this on the PMC list. Basically we had a round of nominations (one
candidate), then a round of votes (no -1s), and voila. I doubt that having
those discussions in public would've changed the outcome. The only thing
that might've happened is some discussions about the relative merits of
people in public, which is not something I'm in favor of.

Cheers,

Leo

Re: Board Report Draft

Posted by Niclas Hedhman <ni...@hedhman.org>.
On Thursday 17 March 2005 05:04, Leo Simons wrote:

> I just sent that seperately. I figured that'd reduce the chances of the
> resolution slipping through. And I figured not to mention anywhere publicly
> that you're going to be our new chair so you had the fun of maybe
> generating some positive energy from the resulting uproar; guess that's too
> late now

Wow. New Chair without any community notifications or feedback??
Is that a good "community building" attitude?
Shouldn't the community at least be consulted?

(Not implying that I am against Aaron as Chair nor that a wider community
would have any feedback on it.)

Cheers
Niclas

Re: Board Report Draft

Posted by Leo Simons <ma...@leosimons.com>.
On 16-03-2005 14:51, "J Aaron Farr" <ja...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, 16 Mar 2005 14:47:57 +0100, Leo Simons <ma...@leosimons.com> wrote:
>> Hi gang,
>>
>> As usual, the board report draft is at
>>
>>   http://wiki.apache.org/excalibur/BoardReports/20050323
>>
>> I'd like to send it tomorrow morning, so if you would like anything to be
>> changed or added, please be quick :-D.
>
> "there has been some interaction with the Apache Jakarta Turbine
> project, users of avalon-framework, but nothing concrete materialized
> from that."
>
> I'm not sure "nothing concrete" is a good way to word that.  I've been
> monitoring Fulcrum development and testing some of the code.  I want
> to see more involvement and interaction but just haven't had the time
> yet.

Uhm, yeah. I didn't know how to word it better. Suggestions?

> Also, shouldn't you put a note about the PMC Chair vote or are you
> including that separately?

I just sent that seperately. I figured that'd reduce the chances of the
resolution slipping through. And I figured not to mention anywhere publicly
that you're going to be our new chair so you had the fun of maybe generating
some positive energy from the resulting uproar; guess that's too late now
:-D

Cheers,

- LSD

Re: Board Report Draft