Posted to dev@bigtop.apache.org by Peter Linnell` <pl...@cloudera.com> on 2011/08/11 23:54:21 UTC

IRC on Freenode

Hi,

I recommend we register #bigtop on freenode.

Freenode policy says that in order to request ownership of a
group-related channel, someone from that group has to establish an
official relationship with the network by filling in a group contact
form. This person needs to have the permission of the group to do so.

For project-oriented groups like Bigtop, this appointment has to be made
in accordance with the group's decision making process.

I therefore ask for the PMC to appoint a contact or for the community to
vote one (whichever is fit), who then establishes a relationship with
the freenode network in order to get ownership of the #bigtop channel
and perform administrative tasks needed.

What I recommend is kicking this off as the lead and then allocating 2
or 3 other members as alternatives with admin permissions on the channel.

As I have done this in the past for a few projects and have operator
status on several channels, I am very familiar with the process on
freenode, I'll gladly take this on.

Let me know your thoughts.

Cheers,

Peter