Posted to modules-dev@httpd.apache.org by naranja naranja <na...@gmail.com> on 2009/05/12 03:40:22 UTC

some kind of untypical problem

Hello, im new to apaches - module. But i have some idea, don't have
knowldge big enough to solve this problem. Say me if it is possible to
do such thing, i present on the following image:

http://yfrog.com/0fquestiondj

short description:

We have a FPGA card (hardware which is being used as a machine with
high computing rate in some kinds of operations) connected to the
computer.
On the OS, we have a computer program which is managing the FPGA card
and giving results for the input data.

The idea is... how to represent this data in some kind of
web-presentation. I thought that i should write a apache module which
will recieve the http requests and pass them to the program. In
addition, the program which is controlling the FPGA card, shoul have
ability to send 'progress level' if its busy.

My question is could it be done with the custom apache module? or its
impossible or very hard to achieve and only solution is to embed in
the code of the aplication, which controls the FPGA card, my custom
http server.

If you could give me some answers it would be really helpful. Thanks a lot !

Jarek

RE: some kind of untypical problem

Posted by "Houser, Rick" <Ho...@aoins.com>.
> I think what you want is definitely possible. You don't even need a
custom apache module, I think a perl/php/tcl/any server-side script
would do the job.

I second that.  By comparison, Apache modules are quite hard to work
with, so avoid them anytime another tool suffices.

Thanks,

Rick Houser
Auto-Owners Insurance
Systems Support
(517)703-2580

> Hello, im new to apaches - module. But i have some idea, don't have
> knowldge big enough to solve this problem. Say me if it is possible to

> do such thing, i present on the following image:
>
> http://yfrog.com/0fquestiondj
>
> short description:
>
> We have a FPGA card (hardware which is being used as a machine with
> high computing rate in some kinds of operations) connected to the
> computer.
> On the OS, we have a computer program which is managing the FPGA card
> and giving results for the input data.
>
> The idea is... how to represent this data in some kind of
> web-presentation. I thought that i should write a apache module which
> will recieve the http requests and pass them to the program. In
> addition, the program which is controlling the FPGA card, shoul have
> ability to send 'progress level' if its busy.
>
> My question is could it be done with the custom apache module? or its
> impossible or very hard to achieve and only solution is to embed in
> the code of the aplication, which controls the FPGA card, my custom
> http server.
>
> If you could give me some answers it would be really helpful. Thanks a
lot !

> Jarek

I think what you want is definitely possible. You don't even need a
custom apache module, I think a perl/php/tcl/any server-side script
would do the job.

A: Because it reverses the logical flow of conversation.
Q: Why is top-posting frowned upon?
A: Top-posting.

Re: some kind of untypical problem

Posted by Sorin Manolache <so...@gmail.com>.
On Tue, May 12, 2009 at 03:40, naranja naranja <na...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello, im new to apaches - module. But i have some idea, don't have
> knowldge big enough to solve this problem. Say me if it is possible to
> do such thing, i present on the following image:
>
> http://yfrog.com/0fquestiondj
>
> short description:
>
> We have a FPGA card (hardware which is being used as a machine with
> high computing rate in some kinds of operations) connected to the
> computer.
> On the OS, we have a computer program which is managing the FPGA card
> and giving results for the input data.
>
> The idea is... how to represent this data in some kind of
> web-presentation. I thought that i should write a apache module which
> will recieve the http requests and pass them to the program. In
> addition, the program which is controlling the FPGA card, shoul have
> ability to send 'progress level' if its busy.
>
> My question is could it be done with the custom apache module? or its
> impossible or very hard to achieve and only solution is to embed in
> the code of the aplication, which controls the FPGA card, my custom
> http server.
>
> If you could give me some answers it would be really helpful. Thanks a lot !
>
> Jarek

I think what you want is definitely possible. You don't even need a
custom apache module, I think a perl/php/tcl/any server-side script
would do the job.

A: Because it reverses the logical flow of conversation.
Q: Why is top-posting frowned upon?
A: Top-posting.