Posted to users@servicemix.apache.org by Doug Fischer <dg...@dfischer.com> on 2006/01/31 19:59:31 UTC

Please Help

All,

I apologize in advance if these questions seem simple.  I am having some
major trouble with ServiceMix.  I have been playing around with it for the
last 2 weeks and still have not been able to get anything working except for
the examples.  Since the examples are working, I do not think that it is a
problem with ServiceMix itself, I am assuming that it is a problem with the
way I am building my components.

I have tried to install the components from the Spring Client Toolkit
document in ServiceMix-2.0.2, ServiceMix 2.1-SNAPSHOT, and finally
ServiceMix-3.0-SNAPSHOT.  I have built the installer for both of the
components by using the Maven 1 jbi plugin with goals of
jbi:generateInstaller and jbi:jbi.  Nothing at all has worked yet.

I have also been looking at the project.properties file.  The two properties
that are defined in this file are
jbi.component.class.name=org.apache.servicemix.client.SpringComponent and
jbi.bootstrap.class.name=org.apache.servicemix.client.SpringBootstrap, the
bootstrap class is commented out when the jbi:createArchetype goal creates
the file.  When ServiceMix attempts to install the component without the
bootstrap class defined, I receive an exception, ³Document root element
"jbi", must match DOCTYPE root "null".².  When I uncomment the bootstrap
class, I receive an exception, ³javax.jbi.management.DeploymentException:
Could not find bootstrap class:
org.apache.servicemix.client.SpringBootstrap².  I have not seen anything in
the documentation about creating a bootstrap class that extends from
BaseBootstrap, or a component class that extends from BaseComponent.

If someone could please help me with these problems, I would greatly
appreciate it.

In summary:

What version of ServiceMix should I be using?
What Maven plugin should I be using?
What Maven goals should I be calling?
What version of Maven should I be using (1.0.2 or 2)?  I have seen both
project.xml files and pom.xml files in the source from svn.
What is the bootstrap class that I should have in my project.properties
file?  Do I need to implement one?
What is the component class that I should have in my project.properties
file?  Do I need to implement one?

Thank you very much for any assistance.

I apologize again for any silly questions.

Thanks,
Doug Fischer

Re: Please Help

Posted by Guillaume Nodet <gu...@worldonline.fr>.
Hi Doug !

First, the Spring client toolkit has not been updated for monthes, so I
would advise you not to use it at the moment.

If you want to build ServiceMix from the sources, you should download
the 3.0-SNAPSHOT source distribution from
http://cvs.apache.org/repository/incubator-servicemix/distributions/,
install maven 1.0.2 or maven 1.1-beta2 and run
    maven -Dmaven.test.skip=true
This will build all modules and the distribution will be available in
.\servicemix-assembly\target\distributions
You can also download the binary distribution from the above link.
You may experience some problems while downloading dependencies: do not
abort the build while downloading and retry until all dependencies have
been successfully downloaded.

If you want to create a standard jbi component, you should try to use
the servicemix-common module, which has some helper classes you can
inherit, but this is mainly for jbi components that accept deployment of
service units.  The maven-jbi-plugin will generate the installer for
your component.  The servicemix-lwcontainer is a good and simple example
on how to use it.

If you just want a simple component, you should use the helper classes
defined in servicemix-core, in the org.apache.servicemix.components.util
package.  Take a look at http://servicemix.org/POJO+support.
The servicemix-components module contains lots of examples on how to
write and use them.
If you want to deploy these components using the jbi way (as service
units), you can deploy them in the servicemix-lwcontainer.

Cheers,
Guillaume Nodet