Posted to derby-user@db.apache.org by danga <dg...@yahoo.com> on 2007/09/28 08:35:25 UTC

Derby Eclipse Plug-in versus JavaDB or Apache Derby

Hi there,

I am using the Eclipse Europa RCP platform and lately installed the Apache
Derby Eclipse plug-ins.

Now I have a few questions:
1) Since I also have the javaDB installed (Java 1.6) why should I use the
plug-in ?
I notice that the same jar files are available ?

2) Is it not better to download Apache Derby and install it, instead of the
javaDB

3) My third question is a bit more complex and is about using the Derby
plugin outside of my eclipse installation using a link file in my eclipse
environment that points to the directory where the plugp-in is installed.

I have created a separate directory where I unzipped the Apache Derby
plug-in. The structure of the directory is
eclipse-extension\eclipse\plugins\ ....

I added the Apache Derby plug-in's in this directory and I created a
.eclipseextension file.
Later I created a link file in my eclipse \link directory.

I restarted Eclipse and checked whether the plugins were available using
Help > About Eclipse SDK > Plugins ... and indeed they are shown.

Now I created a simple HelloWorld plug-in and the moment I try to add the
Derby nature I get an error message saying that my project is missing the
required libraries ... org.apache.derby.core derby.jar, derbyclient.jar,
derbynet.jar, derbytools.jar

When I look into the properties of my project under Java Build Path I can
see the derby jar-files are available. I can also see that the Plug-in
dependencies include these jar-files.

The error log says also the project cannot be built until build path errors
are resolved .

I tried afterwards the same thing but now I did not use a link file but the
product configuration manager using add extension location, the problem
remains.

When I add the plugins to the Eclipse plugin directory there is no problem.

What is wrong here and what is the best approach to follow ?

regards,
Danny

Re: Derby Eclipse Plug-in versus JavaDB or Apache Derby

Posted by danga <dg...@yahoo.com>.
I have tried to get the plug-in build with Eclipse but could not succeed. I
am using the latest version of eclipse . Can someone tell me the steps to
get this done

Posted by Aaron J Tarter <aj...@gmail.com>.
> [...]

> ,
> >> derbynet.jar, derbytools.jar
> >>
> >> When I look into the properties of my project under Java Build Path I
> can
> >> see the derby jar-files are available. I can also see that the Plug-in
> >> dependencies include these jar-files.
> >>
> >> The error log says also the project cannot be built until build path
> >> errors
> >> are resolved .
> >>
> >> I tried afterwards the same thing but now I did not use a link file but
> >> the
> >> product configuration manager using add extension location, the problem
> >> remains.
> >>
> >> When I add the plugins to the Eclipse plugin directory there is no
> >> problem.
> >>
> >> What is wrong here and what is the best approach to follow ?

Aaron J Tarter

Re: Derby Eclipse Plug-in versus JavaDB or Apache Derby

Posted by danga <dg...@yahoo.com>.
Aaron,

Posted by Aaron J Tarter <aj...@gmail.com>.
The current plug-in always includes libraries from the default plug-ins
directory, so custom extension directories will not work.  There is a patch
that fixes this problem here -
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/DERBY-1931.  It uses a classpath
container instead of the ECLIPSE_HOME variable.  The classpath container
adds the JARs from wherever they are installed, instead of assuming that
they are installed in the default plug-ins directory.   Please vote for this
issue.

On 9/28/07, danga <dg...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> I am using the Eclipse Europa RCP platform and lately installed the Apache
> Derby Eclipse plug-ins.
>
> Now I have a few questions:
> 1) Since I also have the javaDB installed (Java 1.6) why should I use the
> plug-in ?
> I notice that the same jar files are available ?
>
> 2) Is it not better to download Apache Derby and install it, instead of
> the
> javaDB
>
> 3) My third question is a bit more complex and is about using the Derby
> plugin outside of my eclipse installation using a link file in my eclipse
> environment that points to the directory where the plugp-in is installed.
>
> I have created a separate directory where I unzipped the Apache Derby
> plug-in. The structure of the directory is
> eclipse-extension\eclipse\plugins\ ....
>
> I added the Apache Derby plug-in's in this directory and I created a
> .eclipseextension file.
> Later I created a link file in my eclipse \link directory.
>
> I restarted Eclipse and checked whether the plugins were available using
> Help > About Eclipse SDK > Plugins ... and indeed they are shown.
>
> Now I created a simple HelloWorld plug-in and the moment I try to add the
> Derby nature I get an error message saying that my project is missing the
> required libraries ... org.apache.derby.core derby.jar, derbyclient.jar,
> derbynet.jar, derbytools.jar
>
> When I look into the properties of my project under Java Build Path I can
> see the derby jar-files are available. I can also see that the Plug-in
> dependencies include these jar-files.
>
> The error log says also the project cannot be built until build path
> errors
> are resolved .
>
> I tried afterwards the same thing but now I did not use a link file but
> the
> product configuration manager using add extension location, the problem
> remains.
>
> When I add the plugins to the Eclipse plugin directory there is no
> problem.
>
> What is wrong here and what is the best approach to follow ?
>

> regards,
> Danny

Aaron J Tarter

Re: Derby Eclipse Plug-in versus JavaDB or Apache Derby

Posted by John Embretsen <Jo...@Sun.COM>.
Hi,

Let me try to answer two of the three questions, even though I have no
experience with the Derby Eclipse plugin...

danga wrote:
> 1) Since I also have the javaDB installed (Java 1.6) why should I use the
> plug-in ?
> I notice that the same jar files are available ?

Well, I would assume that the plugin provides some convenient/extra features in
your IDE for interaction with Derby. Also, although the jar file names are the
same, they may contain different versions of Derby (see
http://wiki.apache.org/db-derby/VersionInfo ). I'm not sure about this, but
maybe you can configure the Eclipse plugin to use different jars if you'd like
to? Eclipse users may have a better answer...

> 2) Is it not better to download Apache Derby and install it, instead of the
> javaDB

That depends on your needs. Just using the Java DB bundled with the JDK can be
quite convenient. Then again, the JDK may bundle an older version of Java DB
than the newest one that is available for standalone download, so if you want
the "latest and greatest" version, you might want to download Derby or Java DB
separately anyway (yes, Java DB is also available as a separate download, at
http://developers.sun.com/javadb/ ).

The difference between Java DB and Derby is essentially that with Java DB you
get a support offering from Sun (see http://developers.sun.com/javadb/support/
), and you might get add-ons that are not available for Derby, for example
proper installers for your operating system. This might or might not be of
interest to you, so it's entirely up to you what to do :)

Hope this helps,

--
John