Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by "Craig R. McClanahan" <cr...@apache.org> on 2002/08/09 18:00:21 UTC

Re: Is it possible to include via a directive snippets into the serve r.xml file

On Fri, 9 Aug 2002, Horn, Rob wrote:

> Date: Fri, 9 Aug 2002 10:18:50 +0100
> From: "Horn, Rob" <Ro...@sbs.siemens.co.uk>
> To: "'tomcat-user@jakarta.apache.org'" <to...@jakarta.apache.org>
> Subject: Is it possible to include via a directive snippets into the
>     serve r.xml file
>
> Within our project we have an overlap of responsibility between the
> infrastructure team who are responsible for building the application servers
> and the development team who are responsible for delivering an application
> ready for deployment.
>
> The overlap centres on server.xml
>
> The infrastructure guys need to put host specific information into
> server.xml
>
> The development guys are dependent on a context definition and resources
> defined within it.
>
> My question is therefore ... is it possible to "include" a snippet for the
> context that the development team can maintain into the infrastructure
> maintain server.xml file.

XML lets you do stuff like that directly with entities.

In Tomcat 4.1.x, you can also separate out the <Context> element for each
context into a separate "context configuration file" that can be
independently deployed, which would seem a better long term solution.

If all else fails, you can write a simple script that combines all the
stuff you need from file fragments just before invoking the startup.
Sometimes the simple solutions are the best ...

> Cheers
>
> Rob Horn

Craig