Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by Benson Margulies <bi...@gmail.com> on 2011/07/05 16:08:07 UTC

Nightly builds

The solr download link does not point to or mention nightly builds.
Are they out there?

Re: Nightly builds

Posted by Benson Margulies <bi...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, Jul 6, 2011 at 3:43 PM, Chris Hostetter
<ho...@fucit.org> wrote:

> : > The reason for the email is not that I can't find them, but because
> : > the project, I claim, should be advertising them more prominently on
> : > the web site than buried in a wiki.
> :
> : Actually they are linked on the hp but unfortunately not directly:
> : http://lucene.apache.org/solr/#21+February+2006%3A+nightly+builds
>
> http://www.apache.org/dev/release.html#what
> "Do not include any links on the project website that might encourage
> non-developers to download and use nightly builds, snapshots, release
> candidates, or any other similar package. The only people who are supposed
> to know about such packages are the people following the dev list (or
> searching its archives) and thus aware of the conditions placed on the
> package."
>
> For these reasons, we speicifly do not link to nightly builds off the main
> website (but we also don't retroactively edit news from 2006)

Given that prose, I can see why you have done what you've done. I
don't agree with the prose, but that's another story for another
location. Though I guess the author would probably respond to me by
encouraging me to encourage you to vote and formally release beta or
alphas or something to give brave people exposure to new features.

Re: Nightly builds

Re: Nightly builds

Posted by Tom Gross <it...@gmail.com>.
Hi Benson

> The reason for the email is not that I can't find them, but because
> the project, I claim, should be advertising them more prominently on
> the web site than buried in a wiki.

Actually they are linked on the hp but unfortunately not directly:
http://lucene.apache.org/solr/#21+February+2006%3A+nightly+builds

> Where I come from, an lmgtfy link is rather hostile.

Sorry, I didn't mean to offend you. I obviously misunderstood your question.

> Oh, and you might want to fix the spelling of  'Author' in your own signature.

Thanks, for that!

--
Author of the book "Plone 3 Multimedia" - http://amzn.to/dtrp0C

Re: Nightly builds