Posted to user@velocity.apache.org by "Townson, Chris" <C....@nature.com> on 2007/04/03 17:35:50 UTC

macros and comments between 1.4 and 1.5

Hi,

Moving from velocity engine 1.4 to 1.5, one of my macros is now causing a ParseException:

#macro( makeLink $filepath )#*

    *##if ($request.serverName.equalsIgnoreCase("www.liveserver.com") || $request.serverName.equalsIgnoreCase("liveserver.com"))#*

        *##set($mirrorDomain = "livemirror.com")#*

    *##elseif($request.serverName.equalsIgnoreCase("stagingserver.com"))#*

        *##set($mirrorDomain = "stagingmirror.com")#*

    *##elseif($request.serverName.equalsIgnoreCase("devserver.com") || $request.serverName.equalsIgnoreCase("localhost"))#*

        *##set($mirrorDomain = "devmirror.com")#*

    *##else#*

        *##set($mirrorDomain = "liveserver.com")#*

    *##end#*

    *#http://${mirrorDomain}${filepath}#*

*##end

This macro uses the mutli-line comment hack to gobble whitespace (so that none appears in the link text, whilst preserving some kind of readability.

This works fine in 1.4, but throws a ParseException in 1.5 (stacktrace below)

Is this known or expected beahviour? (I had a browse through jira and the wiki, but couldn't see anything which would seem to identify this problem).

Thanks,

Chris

-- stacktrace --

2007-04-03 16:05:38,712 - VelocimacroManager.parseTree() : exception makeLink
org.apache.velocity.runtime.parser.ParseException: Lexical error: org.apache.velocity.runtime.parser.TokenMgrError: Lexical error at line 1, column 535.  Encountered: <EOF> after : ""
	at org.apache.velocity.runtime.parser.Parser.parse(Parser.java:124)
	at org.apache.velocity.runtime.RuntimeInstance.parse(RuntimeInstance.java:1042)
	at org.apache.velocity.runtime.directive.VelocimacroProxy.parseTree(VelocimacroProxy.java:342)
	at org.apache.velocity.runtime.directive.VelocimacroProxy.setupMacro(VelocimacroProxy.java:322)
	at org.apache.velocity.runtime.directive.VelocimacroProxy.init(VelocimacroProxy.java:309)
	at org.apache.velocity.runtime.parser.node.ASTDirective.init(ASTDirective.java:134)
	at org.apache.velocity.runtime.parser.node.SimpleNode.init(SimpleNode.java:285)
	at org.apache.velocity.Template.initDocument(Template.java:199)
	at org.apache.velocity.Template.process(Template.java:121)
	at org.apache.velocity.runtime.resource.ResourceManagerImpl.loadResource(ResourceManagerImpl.java:415)
	at org.apache.velocity.runtime.resource.ResourceManagerImpl.getResource(ResourceManagerImpl.java:335)
	at org.apache.velocity.runtime.RuntimeInstance.getTemplate(RuntimeInstance.java:1102)
	at org.apache.velocity.runtime.RuntimeInstance.getTemplate(RuntimeInstance.java:1077)
	at org.apache.velocity.app.VelocityEngine.getTemplate(VelocityEngine.java:528)
	at org.apache.velocity.tools.view.servlet.VelocityViewServlet.getTemplate(VelocityViewServlet.java:667)
	at org.apache.velocity.tools.view.servlet.VelocityViewServlet.handleRequest(VelocityViewServlet.java:601)
	at org.apache.velocity.tools.view.servlet.VelocityViewServlet.doRequest(VelocityViewServlet.java:541)
	at org.apache.velocity.tools.view.servlet.VelocityViewServlet.doGet(VelocityViewServlet.java:507)
	at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.internalDoFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:252)
	at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.doFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:173)
	at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardWrapperValve.invoke(StandardWrapperValve.java:213)
	at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContextValve.invoke(StandardContextValve.java:178)
	at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardHostValve.invoke(StandardHostValve.java:126)
	at org.apache.catalina.valves.ErrorReportValve.invoke(ErrorReportValve.java:105)
	at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardEngineValve.invoke(StandardEngineValve.java:107)
	at org.apache.catalina.connector.CoyoteAdapter.service(CoyoteAdapter.java:148)
	at org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11Processor.process(Http11Processor.java:869)
	at org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11BaseProtocol$Http11ConnectionHandler.processConnection(Http11BaseProtocol.java:664)
	at org.apache.tomcat.util.net.PoolTcpEndpoint.processSocket(PoolTcpEndpoint.java:527)
	at org.apache.tomcat.util.net.LeaderFollowerWorkerThread.runIt(LeaderFollowerWorkerThread.java:80)
	at org.apache.tomcat.util.threads.ThreadPool$ControlRunnable.run(ThreadPool.java:684)
	at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:595)

DISCLAIMER: This e-mail is confidential and should not be used by anyone who is
not the original intended recipient. If you have received this e-mail in error
please inform the sender and delete it from your mailbox or any other storage
mechanism. Neither Macmillan Publishers Limited nor any of its agents accept
liability for any statements made which are clearly the sender's own and not
expressly made on behalf of Macmillan Publishers Limited or one of its agents.
Please note that neither Macmillan Publishers Limited nor any of its agents
accept any responsibility for viruses that may be contained in this e-mail or
its attachments and it is your responsibility to scan the e-mail and
attachments (if any). No contracts may be concluded on behalf of Macmillan
Publishers Limited or its agents by means of e-mail communication. Macmillan
Publishers Limited Registered in England and Wales with registered number 785998
Registered Office Brunel Road, Houndmills, Basingstoke RG21 6XS

Re: macros and comments between 1.4 and 1.5

Posted by Will Glass-Husain <wg...@gmail.com>.
Was it an API compatibility issue?

We converted a lot of the exception logging to passing them on for
1.5.  I remember some of them we couldn't due to API's that didn't
list the exceptions.  Once we converted the exceptions to be
unchecked, we could do this.  (maybe we missed one).

I'm thinking we should address this item, Matt Raible's bug, add any
additional "known issues" to the readme and release 1.5.1.  Perhaps we
should target May 1 to allow any additional issues to arise.

WILL

Forio Business Simulations

Will Glass-Husain
wglass@forio.com
www.forio.com

Re: macros and comments between 1.4 and 1.5

Posted by Nathan Bubna <nb...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Will Glass-Husain <wg...@gmail.com>.
Hi Chris,

Haven't seen this before, can you please file an issue about it on
JIRA?  Thanks for the detailed example.
http://issues.apache.org/jira

I'll take a look at this in the next couple of days.

WILL