Posted to dev@ofbiz.apache.org by Erwan de FERRIERES <er...@gmail.com> on 2012/01/05 09:46:11 UTC

releases

Hi devs,

we haven't released any new OFBiz version since the 10.04.
Should we vote for the 11.04 and release it ?
Should we mark the 4.0 as no more supported, and then keep only 3
releases (9, 10 and 11) ?

BTW, happy new year !

--
Erwan de FERRIERES

Re: releases

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.
> Hello Erwan,
>
> I am happy, we are looking at this seriously now. I had mentioned the same
> earlier.
>
> Seems like we have handful of contributors for OfBiz. And their valuable
> time is spent in porting the fixes between the releases. Reducing number
> of branches will help the productivity.

Hi Kiran,

I guess you mean committers. Actually for me it's often a breeze to backport. In some case though it's a pain, but those are very
rare. And as Scott many time reported we have to be very sure of changes when automatically backporting. And even in cases you are
pretty sure sometimes things happen (notably when files have been moved around).

So my opininon is: from R9.04 most of the time backporting works well. But yes, it's a dangerous sport. As long as committers assume
their responsability I think it's ok...

Jacques

> Regards,
> Kiran Gawde
>
> Senior Software Architect
> Object Edge Inc
> (925) 943 5558 x108
>
> "There are two kind of people: Those who do the work and those who take
> the credit. Try to be in the first group because there is less competition
> there."
> "Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams
> is more powerful than one with all the facts".
>

> From:   Erwan de FERRIERES <er...@gmail.com>
> To:     dev@ofbiz.apache.org
> Date:   01/05/2012 12:48 AM
> Subject:        releases
>

> Hi devs,
>
> we haven't released any new OFBiz version since the 10.04.
> Should we vote for the 11.04 and release it ?
> Should we mark the 4.0 as no more supported, and then keep only 3
> releases (9, 10 and 11) ?
>
> BTW, happy new year !
>
> --
> Erwan de FERRIERES

Re: releases

Posted by ki...@objectedge.com.

Re: releases

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.
Yes I think so. Jacopo is often the leader in this area... But I think we already agreed about all that...
Indeed, we just have to vote when releasing the 11.04 branch, around April...logically...
Not sure if we need to say more about R4.0? It has never been an official Apache release

Jacques

From: "Erwan de FERRIERES" <er...@gmail.com>

Re: releases

Posted by Adrian Crum <ad...@sandglass-software.com>.
How is that any different from any other release? The same thing could
be said for all releases and the trunk.

-Adrian

Re: releases

From: "Adrian Crum" <ad...@sandglass-software.com>

Re: releases

Posted by Jacopo Cappellato <ja...@hotwaxmedia.com>.
On Jan 6, 2012, at 3:39 PM, Erwan de FERRIERES wrote:

> If we are adding the 11.04, then there will be 4 different versions.
> It may be useful to help the user to decide which one to take. And
> reducing the choice can be one way to do it.

This is a good point and I agree that we should improve the structure and information in the download page to highlight the newer and more actively maintained releases.

Jacopo

Re: releases

Posted by Erwan de FERRIERES <er...@gmail.com>.

> Why would you say that? Are you speaking on behalf of everyone in the OFBiz
> community?
I'm not speaking on behalf of anyone. Just saying, so we can clean the
number of releases avalaible.
If we are adding the 11.04, then there will be 4 different versions.
It may be useful to help the user to decide which one to take. And
reducing the choice can be one way to do it.
I'm no PMC member, so I'm just expressing some ideas. My voice doesn't
count when it comes to vote.

> Are you absolutely sure that no one will ever commit a 4.0 patch ever again?
> If not, then why say anything? What has changed?
Jacques has committed recently in the 4.0. There will be other
contributions, but the number is decreasing.

--
Erwan de FERRIERES

Re: releases

Posted by Adrian Crum <ad...@sandglass-software.com>.
On 1/6/2012 1:04 PM, Erwan de FERRIERES wrote:
> 2012/1/6 Adrian Crum<ad...@sandglass-software.com>:
>> As has been mentioned many times on this list, the EOL concept does not fit
>> well in an open source community. As long as users are using 4.0 and are
>> willing to provide patches, etc, then there is no need to remove it. In
>> other words, older releases are perfectly capable of dying a natural death,
>> so there is no need for us to do anything.
>>
> tomcat is having one for 5.5: http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-55-eol.html
>
> What I meant was to make an official message, saying nor support nor
> patchs are likely to happen on this version. Unless this is
> contributed.

Why would you say that? Are you speaking on behalf of everyone in the
OFBiz community?

Are you absolutely sure that no one will ever commit a 4.0 patch ever
again? If not, then why say anything? What has changed?

 From my perspective, we don't need an official message. Or any other
action.

-Adrian

Re: releases

Posted by Erwan de FERRIERES <er...@gmail.com>.

Re: releases

Posted by Adrian Crum <ad...@sandglass-software.com>.

Re: releases

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.
I think we could keep release 4.0 in Jira but make a statement (on site main page, more?) that nobody should expect help from us.
For instance, I recently commited some low level patches from Patrick which were done and appliable on release4.0

In other words, I see no reasons to prevent contributors to contribute to release4.0

Jacques

From: "Erwan de FERRIERES" <er...@gmail.com>

Re: releases

Posted by Erwan de FERRIERES <er...@gmail.com>.

Re: releases

Posted by Jacopo Cappellato <ja...@hotwaxmedia.com>.
Hi Erwan,

I agree it would be nice to release.
We could release:
* a new bug fix release for the 09 series (named 09.04.02)
* a new bug fix release for the 10 series (named 10.04.01)
* the first release for the 11 series (named 11.04)

To avoid confusion we could do one release per month or similar and I am wide open to any preference on the order.

Kind regards,

Jacopo