Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Callum Millard <ca...@swarthmore.org.uk> on 2010/01/12 19:17:44 UTC

Faked _From_ field using our domain - how to filter/score?

I'm sure there's a straight forward way of doing this, but after several of hours searching, I can't find it.

The problem is spam with a faked 'From:' field.  Spammers are sending e-mails to our domain with the 'From:' field set to a valid e-mail address from our domain.  Here's an edited example:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------->
From: <Va...@ourDomain.ac.uk>
To: <Va...@ourDomain.ac.uk>
Subject: Hi, I'm from Russia - a dream to live abroad, my name is Mary, can we get started? "I'm on this dating site - come in to me.
Date: Tue, 12 Jan 2010 16:45:35 +0100

Posted by mouss <mo...@ml.netoyen.net>.
Callum Millard a écrit :
> I'm sure there's a straight forward way of doing this, but after several of hours searching, I can't find it.
>
> The problem is spam with a faked 'From:' field.  Spammers are sending e-mails to our domain with the 'From:' field set to a valid e-mail address from our domain.  Here's an edited example:
> [snip]

spammers aren't the only ones who send you mail with your address in the
From: header. Mailing lists do that too. look at your email as resent to
you by this list.

so stop focusing on the From: header.

it looks like your AWL db went mad. needs a cleanup! (I personally
disable AWL).

Re: Faked _From_ field using our domain - how to filter/score?

Posted by René Berber <r....@computer.org>.
Callum Millard wrote:

[snip]
> The problem is spam with a faked 'From:' field.  Spammers are sending
> e-mails to our domain with the 'From:' field set to a valid e-mail
> address from our domain.[snip]

SPF was designed just for that, not only to prevent others from
accepting fake messages that pretend to come from you, also for your
server to do the same.

I use milter-spiff with sendmail; postfix can also use milters.  Of
course SPF is not only the milter or SPF tests inside spamassassin, you
have to set it up on your domain DNS master.

[snip]
--
René Berber

Re: Faked _From_ field using our domain - how to filter/score?

Posted by Kai Schaetzl <ma...@conactive.com>.
Please.

Kai

Re: Faked _From_ field using our domain - how to filter/score?

Posted by Ted Mittelstaedt <te...@ipinc.net>.
Kai Schaetzl wrote:
> Skaz wrote on Wed, 13 Jan 2010 08:54:58 -0800 (PST):
>
>> However
>> I will need to drop that restriction once I set up external mail access
>
> what is "external mail access" ?

It's mail access for all those "externals" out there.  Here's a picture
of one:

http://dvd.ign.com/dor/objects/14284235/the-day-the-earth-stood-still-special-edition/images/the-day-the-earth-stood-still-special-edition-20081204031732410.html

Ted

Re: Faked _From_ field using our domain - how to filter/score?

Posted by Kai Schaetzl <ma...@conactive.com>.
Indeed, and that is why I asked what he means with this. This scenario is
already taken care of in that config line.

Kai

Re: Faked _From_ field using our domain - how to filter/score?

Posted by John Hardin <jh...@impsec.org>.
On Wed, 13 Jan 2010, Kai Schaetzl wrote:

> Skaz wrote on Wed, 13 Jan 2010 08:54:58 -0800 (PST):
>
>> However I will need to drop that restriction once I set up external
>> mail access
>
> what is "external mail access" ?

Employees sending email from offsite, I would assume.

Hopefully postfix can be configured to check the From: message header the
way he wants, while distinguishing between SMTP AUTH and unauthenticated
submissions, and reject only on unauthenticated submissions.

At that point all he needs to do is require "external users" use SMTP
AUTH to send mail.

   Rights can only ever be individual, which means that you cannot
   gain a right by joining a mob, no matter how shiny the issued
   badges are, or how many of your neighbors are part of it.  -- Marko
  4 days until Benjamin Franklin's 304th Birthday

Re: Faked _From_ field using our domain - how to filter/score?

Posted by Kai Schaetzl <ma...@conactive.com>.

Posted by Benny Pedersen <me...@junc.org>.
On Wed 13 Jan 2010 05:54:58 PM CET, Skaz wrote
> Sadly SPF won't catch this type of spam as that only deals with the envelope
> and the faked field is in the body.  We already have SPF set up anyhow which
> obviously catches a fair few faked HELO's.

ug :/

http://old.openspf.org/wizard.html?mydomain=swarthmore.org.uk&submit=Go!

why lists rfc1918 ip addresses ?, why lists .local hostnames ?

what will happend if this exists remotely ?

> Kai's suggestion for Postfix will work for now, so thanks for that.  However
> I will need to drop that restriction once I set up external mail access so
> being able to score messages with a faked 'From' field is what I'd ideally
> like to do: and will need to do in the nearish future.  Is there a rule(set)
> around at the minute which can do this, or do I need to learn Pearl in a
> hurry?

Kai's "solution" does not use spf at all, but strict rules in postfix
to achived nearly the same as a working pypolicy-spf daemond

--
xpoint http://www.unicom.com/pw/reply-to-harmful.html

Re: Faked _From_ field using our domain - how to filter/score?

Posted by Benny Pedersen <me...@junc.org>.
On Tue 12 Jan 2010 07:17:44 PM CET, Callum Millard wrote

> I'm sure there's a straight forward way of doing this, but after
> several of hours searching, I can't find it.
>
> The problem is spam with a faked 'From:' field.  Spammers are
> sending e-mails to our domain with the 'From:' field set to a valid
> e-mail address from our domain.  Here's an edited example:

google equal sender recipient postfwd

http://www.openspf.org/ add spf to your own domain and test it in your mta

add sender auth to local domain in mta (smtp auth)

whats left now ?

cheating a little here, dkim can do it aswell, but then mta need the
whole body :(

Posted by Kai Schaetzl <ma...@conactive.com>.
Skaz wrote on Thu, 14 Jan 2010 04:49:55 -0800 (PST):

> 1)  Kai, yes external mail as in mail (sending or receiving) originating
> external to our network in terms of IP, not physically.  When I think on it
> though, I'll just insist we use RDP or VPN for access when I set it up.

Still not clear what you mean. If you mean mail that is sent thru your mail
server from "road warriors" - that has to be SMTP AUTHed and therefore isn't
rejected.

> 3)  Kai's, your Postfix restrictions, am I right in thinking that they only
> apply to the 'Mail From' part of an SMTP transaction?

> If I'm right in thinking the check_sender_access only deals with the initial
> SMTP transaction and not the envelope, I can use it to block bad 'Mail From'
> commands but would need another filter to catch the faked envelope fields.

There is slight confusion. You are right that this applies only to the SMTP
transaction phase. However, this *is* the envelope. What you refer to with
"envelope fields" are the normal header fields of the message.

> So I think a working filter would do the following:

Apart from doing what you suggested (which might prove difficult) you may
simply switch off AWL as (according to the part of the message you quoted) this
is the main contributing point that these mails are not detected as spam.

Kai

Re: Faked _From_ field using our domain - how to filter/score?

Posted by Skaz <m-...@swarthmore.org.uk>.
I'm feeling popular for once; 14 replies!  Never in all my life ... .. .

Anyhow, thanks once again to all who've offered suggestions.

Just to clarify a couple of points:

1)  Kai, yes external mail as in mail (sending or receiving) originating
external to our network in terms of IP, not physically.  When I think on it
though, I'll just insist we use RDP or VPN for access when I set it up.
We've got the bandwith and it makes things easier so I won't have to worry
about 'Froms' and the like mismatching with HELO's, etc.  Blocking all mail
from an external address with claims to be from *@mynetwork.com is fine.

2)  Benny I know Kai's solution doesn't use SPF.  As I understand it SPF
deals only with envelope security, not the body, which is where the 'From'
field is.  If there are any extensions to the standard SPF - or I've just
got it wrong - which allow you to check the envelope, I'd like to hear more.
I'll check the Postfwd daemon when I've the chance, though I'd rather do it
with Spamassassin if possible as that's in place already.

3)  Kai's, your Postfix restrictions, am I right in thinking that they only
apply to the 'Mail From' part of an SMTP transaction?  A variation on this
spam problem is people cramming a lot of valid addresses into the CC, BCC,
etc. fields so as to make it look like not only did another staff member
send it, but lots of other members of staff got the message too, so that's a
good reason to open it, isn't it?  Or so the thinking goes.

4)  Ted those domains are there as we check outgoing as much as incoming
mail: too many people bringing their own laptops in and plugging them in
wherever.  I could move the records to an internal view mind so cheers for
the pointer.

If I'm right in thinking the check_sender_access only deals with the initial
SMTP transaction and not the envelope, I can use it to block bad 'Mail From'
commands but would need another filter to catch the faked envelope fields.
So I think a working filter would do the following:

If the originating IP is outside of predetermined IP addresses/domains and
has a from, cc, bcc, any other I don;t know about, address consisting of
*@mynet.com it gets ideally a spamassassin score or if not, just ditched.

Once again, thanks for all the responses.

Calum.

Re: [sa] Re: Faked _From_ field using our domain - how to filter/score?

Posted by Charles Gregory <cg...@hwcn.org>.
On Wed, 13 Jan 2010, Mike Wallace wrote:
: I do this but it only works for rejecting a forged envelope. It doesn't
: work if it's only a forged From header which the example shows.
:
: Does anyone know of a way to handle this type of scenario, where the
: envelope From is valid and the From header is forged and typically
: matches the To header?

The key word here is 'valid'. You need to decide what makes the appearance
of the 'From' header 'valid', and thereby categorize a message as spam
when it fails to exhibit all the criteria of a valid e-mail from that
sender. Nearly all methodology involves a degree of 'configuration'
supplied by the user.

1) Reject all mail where the sender envelope does not match the 'From'
header.  Or reject all mail originating from anywhere other than an
'authorized' source.
    - Obviouslty this FP's on mailing list mail, so the user must supply
      a LIST of valid senders (or other identifying criteria) when their
      address will appear in a 'From' header of mail they do not send.

2) If the users agrees and understands (good luck with that! LOL) you can
have them specify (by any convenient mechanism including an e-mail to a
robot) their full legitimate 'From' header. Most spam that uses a faked
>From header does not have a way to generate the correct 'name' portion of
the header.

    For example, I personally have a test for:
    header From =~ /^"?([^C]|C[^h]|Ch[^a])[^<]+...@hwcn.org>/

I also add a modest score for a similar hit on the 'To' header.

- Charles

Re: Faked _From_ field using our domain - how to filter/score?

Posted by Kai Schaetzl <ma...@conactive.com>.
Mike Wallace wrote on Wed, 13 Jan 2010 14:39:13 -0500:

> I do this but it only works for rejecting a forged envelope. It doesn't
> work if it's only a forged From header which the example shows.

Yes, it doesn't work if only the From is forged. You could compare To and
>From in SA and disallow if they match. Or you could compare envelope_from
(if correctly set) and From in SA and fire if they don't.
I think the SMTP AUTH status may also be available in SA or you could
parse that out with a header check and then fire if the mail is not from
an internal source or SMTP AUTHed.
But you will probably have to have some whitelisting for instance for
mailing lists, and other caveats. Basically, I think you can use this only
as a temporary measure if you get a lot of this spam to a specific domain.
Not as a global solution.
SPF in SA might be suited for that.

Kai

Re: Faked _From_ field using our domain - how to filter/score?

Posted by Benny Pedersen <me...@junc.org>.
On Wed 13 Jan 2010 08:39:13 PM CET, Mike Wallace wrote

> I do this but it only works for rejecting a forged envelope. It
> doesn't work if it's only a forged From header which the example
> shows.

and you get spam from spf pass domains where From: is spf fail ?

> Does anyone know of a way to handle this type of scenario, where the
> envelope From is valid and the From header is forged and typically
> matches the To header?

pastebin a example somewhere :)

Posted by Mike Wallace <mi...@mlrw.com>.
I do this but it only works for rejecting a forged envelope. It doesn't work if it's only a forged From header which the example shows.

Does anyone know of a way to handle this type of scenario, where the envelope From is valid and the From header is forged and typically matches the To header?

Mike Wallace
mike@mlrw.com

Posted by Kai Schaetzl <ma...@conactive.com>.

Re: [sa] Faked _From_ field using our domain - how to filter/score?

Posted by Kai Schaetzl <ma...@conactive.com>.
> In the latter case, you can use the suggested check
> for domains,

It doesn't matter which other mail servers the clients use.

Posted by Callum Millard <ca...@swarthmore.org.uk>.
Thanks to all who've replied.

SPF won't catch this type of spam as that only deals with the envelope and the faked field is in the body.  We already have SPF set up anyhow which obviously catches a fair few faked HELO's.

Kai's suggestion for Postfix will work for now, so thanks for that.  However I will need to drop that restriction once I set up external mail access so being able to score messages with a faked 'From' field is what I'd ideally like to do: and will need to do in the nearish future.  Is there a rule(set) around at the minute which can do this or do I need to learn Pearl?

Calum.

On Tue, 12 Jan 2010, Charles Gregory wrote:

> On Tue, 12 Jan 2010, Callum Millard wrote:
> : The problem is spam with a faked 'From:' field.  Spammers are sending
> : e-mails to our domain with the 'From:' field set to a valid e-mail
> : address from our domain.
>
> Unfortunately, if you permit use of your domain name as a 'From' for
> users on other connections (home DSL, etc), then you can only use a
> minimal score in SA and must look for other spamsign.

If you do that you should require they use authenticated and encrypted
SMTP. SPF et. al. can be bypassed if that is known.

   Taking my gun away because I *might* shoot someone is like cutting
   my tongue out because I *might* yell "Fire!" in a crowded theater.
                                                   -- Peter Venetoklis
  5 days until Benjamin Franklin's 304th Birthday

Re: [sa] Faked _From_ field using our domain - how to filter/score?

Posted by John Hardin <jh...@impsec.org>.

Posted by Charles Gregory <cg...@hwcn.org>.
On Tue, 12 Jan 2010, Callum Millard wrote:
: The problem is spam with a faked 'From:' field.  Spammers are sending
: e-mails to our domain with the 'From:' field set to a valid e-mail
: address from our domain.

Key question: Can your users send mail 'From' their internal addresses via
ANY intrnet connection, or MUST they use your mail server via approved
internal connections? In the latter case, you can use the suggested check
for domains, or set up your SPF record for your domain.

Posted by Jonas Eckerman <jo...@fsdb.org>.
> 1.  It shows up as internal mail so gets -6 points or so from the
> auto-whitelist thus giving it a decent chance of getting through.

If it shows up as internal mail even though its external something is
wrong.

The AWL takes both the renders email address and the sending systems
IP-address into account. For some reason it seems it can't differentiate
between the relevant sending systems in your setup.

Regards
/Jonas