Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by "HAVENS,PETER (HP-Cupertino,ex3)" <pe...@hp.com> on 2002/08/29 21:25:20 UTC

single sign on and time outs

I have a question regarding SingleSignOn.  It seems that if any web app is
accessed and then not visited for a period of time equal to the time out
value of the global web.xml then the user will be de-authenticated for all
webapps.  To clarify, if I have two webapps, demo1 and demo2, and I log onto
my server which is configured for SingleSignOn; then if I visit a resource
in the demo1 webapp and then start viewing resources on the demo2 web app,
the timeout will occur for the demo1 session and thus timeout my entire
session.

Is there a way to configure single sign on so that it does not do timeouts
based on each web app?

-Peter

Re: single sign on and time outs

Posted by Srinadh Karumuri <sk...@bbn.com>.
Thanks for sharing the details. It's very helpful.
I guess I have to catchup with TC4. :)
-Sri

Posted by "Craig R. McClanahan" <cr...@apache.org>.

Posted by Srinadh Karumuri <sk...@bbn.com>.

Posted by "Craig R. McClanahan" <cr...@apache.org>.

On Thu, 29 Aug 2002, HAVENS,PETER (HP-Cupertino,ex3) wrote:

> Date: Thu, 29 Aug 2002 15:25:20 -0400
> From: "HAVENS,PETER (HP-Cupertino,ex3)" <pe...@hp.com>
> To: 'Tomcat Users List' <to...@jakarta.apache.org>
> Subject: single sign on and time outs
>
> I have a question regarding SingleSignOn.  It seems that if any web app is
> accessed and then not visited for a period of time equal to the time out
> value of the global web.xml then the user will be de-authenticated for all
> webapps.  To clarify, if I have two webapps, demo1 and demo2, and I log onto
> my server which is configured for SingleSignOn; then if I visit a resource
> in the demo1 webapp and then start viewing resources on the demo2 web app,
> the timeout will occur for the demo1 session and thus timeout my entire
> session.

More precisely, both sessions will be invalidated.

> Is there a way to configure single sign on so that it does not do timeouts
> based on each web app?

Isn't it easier to just make your sessions not time out?

> -Peter

Craig