Posted to dev@directory.apache.org by Emmanuel Lecharny <el...@gmail.com> on 2006/08/29 11:31:13 UTC

svn:externals in branches

Hi guys,

for the third time, I modified some code which are in release (updated MINA
headers for 0.9.4 release) because we are using svn:external in a branch,
and those svn:external point to a release, not to a branch (and because I'm
stupid, I must admit, but we should protect the project against my stupidity
:) (I'm very good as a "stupid user behavior" test).

This is DANGEROUS. We can break releases. There is no way to realize that
you are modifying a release until you have a problem, because svn properties
are not write protected. We should use externals only if we have several
branches and want to see them as unique. Pointing on release sources in a
branch should be osbolutly forbidden.

I suggest that we switch to mina jars in branch as soon as possible. It
makes sense as far as mina will become a TLP soon. For other sub-project
like shared and daemon, we are pointing on branches or trunk, so this is ok
:

apacheds https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/directory/branches/apacheds/1.0
daemon https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/directory/trunks/daemon
shared https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/directory/branches/shared/0.9.5
mina -r398432 http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/directory/releases/mina/0.9.4<<---
This will kill us !!!

Emmanuel

Re: svn:externals in branches

Posted by Alex Karasulu <ao...@bellsouth.net>.
Emmanuel Lecharny wrote:

>      > apacheds
>     https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/directory/branches/apacheds/1.0
>      > daemon https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/directory/trunks/daemon
>      > shared
>     https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/directory/branches/shared/0.9.5
>      > mina -r398432
>      > http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/directory/releases/mina/0.9.4
>     <<--- This
>      > will kill us !!!
>      >

>     Oh how did you commit to a http:// based URL? I don't think we allow
>     commits without https.
>

> No, it was https before, so I was able to commit.
>
> You changed it, this is why all my beautiful headers have changed back
> to the old ones :)

Yeah I had done this like 2 days ago.  I thouht this was already done.
My bad.

Losing my mind.

Alex

Re: svn:externals in branches

Posted by Emmanuel Lecharny <el...@gmail.com>.
> apacheds https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/directory/branches/apacheds/1.0
> > daemon https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/directory/trunks/daemon
> > shared https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/directory/branches/shared/0.9.5
> > mina -r398432
> > http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/directory/releases/mina/0.9.4 <<--- This
> > will kill us !!!
> >

> Oh how did you commit to a http:// based URL? I don't think we allow
> commits without https.

No, it was https before, so I was able to commit.

You changed it, this is why all my beautiful headers have changed back to
the old ones :)

Cool.

Re: svn:externals in branches

Posted by Alex Karasulu <ao...@bellsouth.net>.
Emmanuel Lecharny wrote:
> Hi guys,
>
> for the third time, I modified some code which are in release (updated
> MINA headers for 0.9.4 release) because we are using svn:external in a
> branch, and those svn:external point to a release, not to a branch (and
> because I'm stupid, I must admit, but we should protect the project
> against my stupidity :) (I'm very good as a "stupid user behavior" test).
>
> This is DANGEROUS. We can break releases. There is no way to realize
> that you are modifying a release until you have a problem, because svn
> properties are not write protected. We should use externals only if we
> have several branches and want to see them as unique. Pointing on
> release sources in a branch should be osbolutly forbidden.
>
> I suggest that we switch to mina jars in branch as soon as possible. It
> makes sense as far as mina will become a TLP soon. For other sub-project
> like shared and daemon, we are pointing on branches or trunk, so this is
> ok :

I agree about the jar.