Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by Andre Fischer <af...@a-w-f.de> on 2012/06/21 16:52:46 UTC

build in gbuild modules

Hi,

I just wanted to let you know that I improved build.pl a little bit so
that it is now possible to call 'build' in gbuild modules.  Up to now
that lead to the message

         This module has been migrated to GNU make.
         You can only use build --all/--since here with build.pl
	To do the equivalent of 'build && deliver' call:
	    make -sr

and so on.  This may be instructive the first ten times but eventually
becomes just annoying.

Fixing this was very simple, just disable the warning, and forward
debug=<value> definitions from the 'build' command line to the 'make' calls.

To make a long story short, it is now possible to eg build sw by calling
     build

If you don't like the improvement then just don't call build in gbuild
modules.

Regards,
Andre

Re: build in gbuild modules

Posted by Andre Fischer <af...@a-w-f.de>.
On 22.06.2012 09:16, Chao Huang wrote:
> hi, Andre
> It's very cool to run "build" in gbuild module. How about build with the
> parallel flag? Does "build -P4" work well? Thank!

I don't think that will work out of the box.
build.pl first calls dmake on the <module>/prj/makefile.mk which then
chains gbuild on <module>/Makefile.  All flags have to be forwarded from
the commandline via build.pl and makefile.mk.  At the moment the
forwarding is done in every single of the makefile.mks.  Maybe this can
be done in a central place in one of the makefiles in solenv/inc that
are included anyway.

When I find the time then I will try to make -P<n> work.

-Andre

Re: build in gbuild modules

Posted by Oliver-Rainer Wittmann <or...@googlemail.com>.
Hi,

On 22.06.2012 09:16, Chao Huang wrote:
> hi, Andre
> It's very cool to run "build" in gbuild module. How about build with the
> parallel flag? Does "build -P4" work well? Thank!

Try "build -- -P4".
As far as I know options following the double dash ("--") are passed to the
created dmake processes.

Best regards, Oliver.

Re: build in gbuild modules

Posted by Chao Huang <ch...@gmail.com>.
hi, Andre

--
Best regards,
Chao Huang

Re: build in gbuild modules

Posted by Andre Fischer <af...@a-w-f.de>.

>> Hi,
>>
>> On 21.06.2012 16:52, Andre Fischer wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I just wanted to let you know that I improved build.pl a little bit
>>> so that it
>>> is now possible to call 'build' in gbuild modules. Up to now that
>>> lead to the
>>> message
>>>
>>> This module has been migrated to GNU make.
>>> You can only use build --all/--since here with build.pl
>>> To do the equivalent of 'build && deliver' call:
>>> make -sr
>>>
>>> and so on. This may be instructive the first ten times but eventually
>>> becomes
>>> just annoying.
>>>
>>> Fixing this was very simple, just disable the warning, and forward
>>> debug=<value>
>>> definitions from the 'build' command line to the 'make' calls.
>>>
>>> To make a long story short, it is now possible to eg build sw by calling
>>> build
>>>
>>> If you don't like the improvement then just don't call build in
>>> gbuild modules.
>>>

>> Thank you very much.
>> I will use "build" in the future.
>>

> BTW, I did not see any changes on build.pl. Did I miss something?

Well, sort of.  I made the change in build.pl a week ago (June 14th) but
only now found the time to forward the debug flag.

-Andre

Re: build in gbuild modules

Posted by Oliver-Rainer Wittmann <or...@googlemail.com>.

Re: build in gbuild modules