Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Duane Homick <dh...@SANDVINE.com> on 2005/11/02 20:16:54 UTC

Right way to structure a project (and its site)

I have a multi module project that I have structured similar to how maven itself is structured:

data-publishing-service
	+ dps-shared
		src/main/java...
		src/main/test...
		pom.xml
	+ dps-client
		src/main/java...
		src/main/test...
		pom.xml
	+ dps-server-core
		src/main/java...
		src/main/test...
		pom.xml
	+ dps-site
		src/site/...
		src/site/site.xml
		pom.xml
	pom.xml

Each one of those subdirectories is itself a project with the parent specified as data-publishing-service.

The problem I am having is with the site.  How do I get a site to be generated with the javadoc for all the subprojects when using a directory structure where dps-site is itself a subproject.  This is similar to how maven does it and they have javadoc for the project as a whole.  Anyone know the trick I need to get the javadoc for the project into the dps-site?

Im currently running:

C:\src\data-publishing-service\dps-site\mvn site-deploy

Thanks
Duane Homick
dhomick@sandvine.com
Software Engineer - Sandvine Incorporated

Re: Right way to structure a project (and its site)

Posted by "David H. DeWolf" <dd...@apache.org>.
There may be a couple of options, however, the approach I prefer is the
following:

1) leave the structure just as you have defined below
2) define the site distribution management section in your parent pom as
follows:

<distributionManagement>
<site>
<id>website</id>
<url>scp://minotaur.apache.org/www/portals.apache.org/pluto</url>
</site>
</distributionManagement>

because m2 appends the subproject name to the uri when the url is defined in
the parent, when executing site:site site:deploy at the parent level, the
reactor will deploy the site to each of the modules to the appropriate
"sub-site" location.

3) override the distribution management in the dps-site module. This will
ensure that the dps-site module is deployed to the root directory instead of
to <root>/dps-site

4) your results:

<root> = contents of dps-site website
<root>/dps-shared = contents of dps-shared website
<root>/dps-client = contents of dbs-client website
etc. . .

Hope that helps,

David

Posted by Alexandre Poitras <al...@gmail.com>.
I am wondering the same thing right now. Any hints would be appreciated!

On 11/2/05, Duane Homick <dh...@sandvine.com> wrote:

> I have a multi module project that I have structured similar to how maven
> itself is structured:
>
> data-publishing-service
> + dps-shared
> src/main/java...
> src/main/test...
> pom.xml
> + dps-client
> src/main/java...
> src/main/test...
> pom.xml
> + dps-server-core
> src/main/java...
> src/main/test...
> pom.xml
> + dps-site
> src/site/...
> src/site/site.xml
> pom.xml
> pom.xml
>
> Each one of those subdirectories is itself a project with the parent
> specified as data-publishing-service.
>
> The problem I am having is with the site. How do I get a site to be
> generated with the javadoc for all the subprojects when using a directory
> structure where dps-site is itself a subproject. This is similar to how
> maven does it and they have javadoc for the project as a whole. Anyone know
> the trick I need to get the javadoc for the project into the dps-site?
>
> Im currently running:
>
> C:\src\data-publishing-service\dps-site\mvn site-deploy
>
> Thanks
> Duane Homick
> dhomick@sandvine.com
> Software Engineer - Sandvine Incorporated

Alexandre Poitras
Québec, Canada