Posted to dev@servicemix.apache.org by Charles Moulliard <cm...@gmail.com> on 2010/08/13 10:54:02 UTC

Suggestion concerning camel bundles and services

Hi,

OSGI is an amazing world for architect and developers. They bring a new
concept in the development life cycle compare to monolithic J2EE application
and their WAR / EAR. The "modularity" provides advantages and of course
disadvantages like any other specification/technology.

To improve OSGI projects, I would like to suggest that in the future we do
two things :

1) Bundle Start Level
I suggest that we add the start bundle value for our camel components in the
feature xml file. This feature is available since Karaf 2.0. So we can group
what I call infrastructure bundles together and dissociate them from project
bundles. In this way, they will be activated and started before the bundle
projects. Using bundle start level is interesting but not enough in some
cases. So I suggest to do the following for by example HTTP, CXF components

2) Declarative Service
I suggest that we expose some services like CXF, HTTP, Servlet to allow a
project or camel to use OSGI Declarative Service (
http://felix.apache.org/site/apache-felix-service-component-runtime.html).
In this case, the project can react or be informed if by example jetty http
or cxf is not up and running. In the meantime, the infrastructure team or
the development project has no idea about the origin of the issue when web
service (configured through a camel route using cxf:bean) is not answering.
Is it because the bundles of cxf are not yet started or because the http
service of jetty is not running !!

I'm pretty sure that these suggestions will improve our ServiceMix platform
and will help architect to design more professional solutions for their
clients.

What do you think about that ?

Kind regards,

Charles Moulliard

Senior Enterprise Architect (J2EE, .NET, SOA)
Apache Camel - Karaf - ServiceMix Committer
Blog : http://cmoulliard.blogspot.com |  Twitter :
http://twitter.com/cmoulliard
Linkedin : http://www.linkedin.com/in/charlesmoulliard | Skype: cmoulliard

Re: Suggestion concerning camel bundles and services

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>.
+1

Regards
JB

Posted by Lars Heinemann <lh...@apache.org>.
+1 for that idea, Adrian.

Regards
Lars

--
http://lhein.blogspot.com

Fwd: Suggestion concerning camel bundles and services

Posted by Charles Moulliard <cm...@gmail.com>.
Great idea.

We should use the bundle start level to filter what we display on the
screen. By default it is equal to 50 but that means that the client must add
it in its project bundles and that we add it in the camel, karaf, servicemix
bundles too. Otherwise, the list will not be filtered

In this case we could provide as a parameter the bundle start level as an
option :

osgi:list -l 50

l = level from which we would like to display the bundles

or maybe

osgi:list -l 50-100

to be able to display range of bundles

Regards