Posted to users@tapestry.apache.org by Chris Collins <ch...@me.com> on 2011/12/12 06:47:50 UTC

template refresh in development

Ok, another dumb question from Chris.  How do you make template refreshes work at least in dev mode?

I am specifically setting:

        configuration.add(SymbolConstants.FILE_CHECK_INTERVAL, "1 s");
        configuration.add(SymbolConstants.PRODUCTION_MODE, "false");

Perhaps thats my error.

I then start my app and fetch a page.
change the content (just a simple spelling change).
Wait a few seconds.
Refresh.

No change in the output.

I even tried this experiment with the tapestry archetype demo app using mvn jetty:run target.

Re: template refresh in development

Posted by Kalle Korhonen <ka...@gmail.com>.
On Fri, Dec 16, 2011 at 11:31 PM, Chris Collins <ch...@me.com> wrote:
> Kalle, could you recommend the magic incarnation for tweaking jetty:run plugin to fix the path so that it will look at the resource tree rather than target (tried scan target).  My preference is to tweak idea since I don't natively use jetty:run as my way of running things but I don't see an obvious way to point to my resource tree…is this something I can hack in intellij or should I be tweaking a web.xml parameter?

There are many different versions of Jetty available - choose your
poison first. Myself, I'm mainly using Eclipse with Sysdeo's Tomcat
plugin for development (see
http://tynamo.org/Developing+with+Tomcat+and+Eclipse) as well as
run-jetty-run but my designers all use mvn jetty:run and edit the live
templates happily without having any idea of the underlying machinery.

Here's one hackish configuration using profiles:
	<build>
		<finalName>ROOT</finalName>
		<outputDirectory>${build.outputDir}</outputDirectory>

<!- in profile section... -->
			<properties>
				<build.outputDir>src/main/resources</build.outputDir>
			</properties>
			<build>
				<plugins>
					<plugin>
						<artifactId>maven-clean-plugin</artifactId>
						<configuration>
							<excludeDefaultDirectories>true</excludeDefaultDirectories>
							<filesets>
								<fileset>
									<directory>target</directory>
									<includes>
										<include>**/*</include>
									</includes>
								</fileset>
								<fileset>
									<includes>
										<include>**/*.class</include>
									</includes>
								</fileset>
							</filesets>
						</configuration>
					</plugin>
					<plugin>
						<groupId>org.mortbay.jetty</groupId>
						<artifactId>maven-jetty-plugin</artifactId>
						<configuration>
							<contextPath>/</contextPath>
							<classesDirectory>${basedir}/src/main/resources</classesDirectory>
							<useTestClasspath>true</useTestClasspath>
							<systemProperties>
								<systemProperty>
									<name>tapestry.compress-whitespace</name>
									<value>false</value>
								</systemProperty>
								<systemProperty>
									<name>tapestry.production-mode</name>
									<value>false</value>
								</systemProperty>
							</systemProperties>
						</configuration>
					</plugin>
				</plugins>
			</build>
		</profile>

This was the configuration from a few years ago. The great thing is
that I can control the designers' environment from the build. Above,
the idea is to simply put both classes and templates to the same
folder. If you are on a reasonably recent version of Jetty, you should
instead pick up the classes using
<webAppConfig><extraClasspath/></webAppConfig> construct. See
http://docs.codehaus.org/display/JETTY/Maven+Jetty+Plugin for more
details.

Kalle

Posted by Chris Collins <ch...@me.com>.
so from idea cmd-9 did nothing for me (neither did the use of the menu option of cmd-9.  Again running with parameters for prod mode set to false.

Kalle, could you recommend the magic incarnation for tweaking jetty:run plugin to fix the path so that it will look at the resource tree rather than target (tried scan target).  My preference is to tweak idea since I don't natively use jetty:run as my way of running things but I don't see an obvious way to point to my resource tree…is this something I can hack in intellij or should I be tweaking a web.xml parameter?

Howard ironically I moved to mvn from a shitty ant build based upon how cool tapestry was using mvn….eerrr just as you moved to gradle.  I would be happy to move to gradle but since its not free to magically migrate I won't be doing that any time soon (perhaps you could do a blog on your experience migrating tapestry from mvn to gradle to help poor people like me who are too scared of change :-} ).

Best

Posted by Kalle Korhonen <ka...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Chris Collins <ch...@me.com>.
that was the trick (coupled with a cmd-9) that makes it work in idea.  I will try out the jetty:run thing in a bit.  Could we put some notes on the t5 website to help here? Not sure where the best place to put it would be.

Best

Posted by Josh Canfield <jo...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Howard Lewis Ship <hl...@gmail.com>.
IntelliJ requires that you rebuild (Cmd-F9) after making a change for
it to be visible.  I use the built-in Jetty support.

When using mvn jetty:run, the problem is that the directories that the
Jetty instance see contains copies of the files from your workspace;
changing them and rebuilding does not copy them to that directory, so
you don't see the changes. Don't use Maven.

On Wed, Dec 14, 2011 at 12:16 PM, Chris Collins <ch...@me.com> wrote:
> I tried a few ways.  I have tried editing tml files both from vi and from intellij.
>
> I have also run the archetype demo from mvn jetty:run (so I was not even running through an intellij debug session).
>
> I even put a little logic in a page to test if I was in production mode or not (I was not).
>
> So basically I tried my own app and then I went back to basics and tried the demo app that you can create via mvn archetype

> On Dec 14, 2011, at 12:13 PM, Howard Lewis Ship wrote:
>
>> On Wed, Dec 14, 2011 at 12:05 PM, Chris Collins <ch...@me.com> wrote:
>>> Never got any takers on this.  Any tips from any of the wise elders?
>>>
>>> Also what is the functionally equiv of Blackbird since it was taken out of 5.3?
>>
>> It should just work.  What IDE are you using?  How are you running the
>> application.  Basically, if Tapestry can't see the updated files, it
>> can't make them referesh. No configuration should be necessary,
>> besides ensuring that the application is running in development mode
>> (not production mode).  The Tapestry Quickstart archetype sets this up
>> for you.
>>
>> In terms of blackbrird ... that's gone, and the replacement is to use
>> the native console (if present), and to use floating divs when there
>> is no native console.

>> --
>> Howard M. Lewis Ship
>>
>> Creator of Apache Tapestry