Posted to legal-discuss@apache.org by "Andrew C. Oliver" <ac...@apache.org> on 2005/04/07 14:15:52 UTC

[Fwd: Getting a YourKit License]

This will seem like I'm being self serving, but I'm actually being self
serving in a completely different way than you think :-P

As a non-profit org, is it still okay for us to offer links like "Thank
you YourKit for your assistence with allowing us to use your
excellent profiler tools" and a link in exchange for free licenses?  In
the past I've been dissuaded from doing similar things.  There
are a few places where I'd like to pander for help on POI and have a few
contacts that would be interested in said linked-thanking.

thanks,

-Andy

Re: [Fwd: Getting a YourKit License]

Posted by "Brian W. Fitzpatrick" <fi...@red-bean.com>.
On Apr 7, 2005, at 7:15 AM, Andrew C. Oliver wrote:

> This will seem like I'm being self serving, but I'm actually being self
> serving in a completely different way than you think :-P
>
> As a non-profit org, is it still okay for us to offer links like "Thank
> you YourKit for your assistence with allowing us to use your
> excellent profiler tools" and a link in exchange for free licenses?  In
> the past I've been dissuaded from doing similar things.  There
> are a few places where I'd like to pander for help on POI and have a
> few
> contacts that would be interested in said linked-thanking.

[This really belongs on prc@apache.org, not legal-discuss--please
direct followups there]

My position has always been that we should not provide links for
donating software licenses as there is no actual cost of materials to
the company "donating" the software license.  Hardware and bandwidth
donations, yes; software licenses, no.

-Fitz

Brian W. Fitzpatrick
Vice President, Public Relations