Posted to users@servicemix.apache.org by puneetjain <pu...@wipro.com> on 2008/03/25 08:22:24 UTC

(Urgent) Default Thread Pool Size of Servicemix running with JBoss

Hi,

We have a servicemix application integrated with JBoss server.
The application is based on servicemix-http consumer and servicemix-bean
components.
I have certain doubts regarding thread pool size:

Question 1:
=======
                  Could anyone please let me know, what is the default
thread pool size of the servicemix running with JBoss Application Server?

Question 2:
=======
                 How can I configure the thread pool size?

Question 3:
=======
                 What is the significance of JettyThreadPoolSize of
servicemix-http component when it is deployed on JBoss Application Server?

Environment:
========

Servicemix 3.2.1
JBoss 4.2.2.GA
OS: Redhat Enterprise Linux 4

Any reply will be appreciated.

Greetings,
Puneet

Re: (Urgent) Default Thread Pool Size of Servicemix running with JBoss

Posted by Guillaume Nodet <gn...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, Mar 26, 2008 at 7:43 AM, puneetjain <pu...@wipro.com> wrote:

> Hi Gnodet,
>
> Thanks for your valuable inputs. The inputs are very much helpful to my
> project.
>
> I have added the thread configuration in the WEB-INF/servicemix.xml.
>
> Is there any way we can verify that the configuration is loaded or not?

Not easily.  You can send lots of requests and see how many threads are
created using a jmx console.  The thread names are prefixed by the name of
the component iirc.

> Secondly, I have found one more thread pool configuration for service-http
> component, i.e. JettyThreadPoolSize. This configuration is configured in
> org.apache.servicemix.http.HttpConfiguration.java class of servicemix-http
> component.
> How this thread pooling is different from coreThreadPool size of
> servicemix.

The jetty thread pool is used by the embedded jetty server to process
incoming http requests.  The servicemix thread pool will be used by the
servicemix-http component to processed jbi exchanges coming back or when the
component acts as a provider (i.e. it sends http request to an external
server).

> [...]
> > POJOs
> > in a pool using spring (see
> >
> http://static.springframework.org/spring/docs/2.5.x/reference/aop-api.html#aop-ts-poolfor
> > example).   For servicemix-bean, there are two modes: either use a
> > single instance or create one for each request, depending on if you set
> > the
> > classname or the pojo.
> > For all other components, you do not have to care about that because it
> is
> > an internal detail and all those components are thread safe and can
> > process
> > multiple requests concurrently (the concurrency level  being configured
> > with
> > the thread pools).
> >

> >> The duplicate messages were sent because of the mail I received from
> >> Nabble
> >> with the subject "Post to mailing list still Pending".
> >

> > Well, I guess you need to be a bit more patient then  ;-)
> >

> >> Your inputs are really valuable to me and I really appreciate your
> >> support.
> >>
> >> Thanks,
> >> Puneet

> >> question
> twice.
> >> for
> >> are

> >> would
> >> ExecutorFactory

> >> can
> be

> servicemix.queueSize
> >> }"/>

> for

> >> thread

> >> running
> >> the
> Jboss

> >> way.

> >> <pu...@wipro.com>

> servicemix
> of
> of

> >> running

> >> for

> "

> servicemix

> settings

> >> ExecutorFactory

> ExecutorFactoryImp();

> assembly
> while
> on
> replication
> >> >> >> >>

> http://www.nabble.com/Re%3A-Issue-Bug-with-Servicemix-web-3.2.1-%28WAR%29-tt15560488s12049.html

> >> component
> in

> >> controls
> see
> >> if

> >> server.

> the

> >> that.

> >> distribution,
> the
> >> JBI
> >> they

> >> class="org.apache.servicemix.executors.impl.ExecutorFactoryImpl

Cheers,
Guillaume Nodet
------------------------
Blog: http://gnodet.blogspot.com/

Re: (Urgent) Default Thread Pool Size of Servicemix running with JBoss

Posted by puneetjain <pu...@wipro.com>.
Hi Gnodet,

Posted by Guillaume Nodet <gn...@gmail.com>.
On Tue, Mar 25, 2008 at 7:14 PM, puneetjain <pu...@wipro.com> wrote:

> Hi Gnodet,
>
> Sorry to bother you.
>
> Actually I was not concerned with the thread pool size this time but the
> instance pool size.
> We are in the process of evaluating the ESB product(servicemix and mule).
> Mule provide flexibility to configure the Threading Profiling as well as
> Pooling Profile(the instance pool size).  So I just want to confirm
> whether
> we can configure Thread pool size as well as Instance pool size in
> servicemix while running with JBoss. You have already guided me regarding
> configuration for thread pool size. This time I was just asking regarding
> Instance pool size.

I guess this would only apply to servicemix-bean, servicemix-jsr181 and
servicemix-cxf-se; they are the main components where you deploy services as
a java class.   The jsr181 and cxf-se both use the servlet threading model:
a single instance will be used to server all the requests concurrently.  In
such a case, there is no need to pool instances because they are assumed to
> [...]

> > wrote:
> >

> >> Hi Gnodet,
> >>
> >> I am highly appreciate your inputs.
> >>
> >> I am implementing the executor factory to configure JBI Container
> thread
> >> pool size.
> >>
> >> Can we configure the instance pool for the servicemix components
> running
> >> in
> >> JBoss Application Server? If yes How can we congiure it and what is the
> >> default instance pool size of servicemix components running with Jboss
> >> Application Server using jboss deployer?
> >>
> >> Thanks,
> >> Puneet

> way.
> >>  It

> >> with

> >> xbean.xmlfiles
> for

> >> class="com.oki.us.esb.sm.perftester.HTTPMarshaler

Cheers,
Guillaume Nodet
------------------------

Posted by puneetjain <pu...@wipro.com>.
Hi Gnodet,

Posted by Guillaume Nodet <gn...@gmail.com>.
> [...]

> >>                 targetService="ex:lineReverse"
> >>                 marshaler="#marshaler" />
> >>
> >>  <bean id="marshaler" class="com.oki.us.esb.sm.perftester.HTTPMarshaler
> "
> >> />
> >>
> >>  <bean id="executorFactory"
> >> class="org.apache.servicemix.executors.impl.ExecutorFactoryImpl">
> >>     <property name="defaultConfig">
> >>         <bean
> >> class="org.apache.servicemix.executors.impl.ExecutorConfig">
> >>            <property name="corePoolSize" value="32"/>
> >>           <property name="maximumPoolSize" value="40"/>
> >>           <property name="queueSize" value="500"/>
> >>         </bean>
> >>     </property>
> >>   </bean>
> >>
> >> </beans>
> >>
> >> Will this override the default thread pool size for the servicemix
> >> components in case of servicemix running with Jboss Application Server.

Cheers,
Guillaume Nodet
------------------------

Posted by puneetjain <pu...@wipro.com>.
Hi Gnodet,

Posted by puneetjain <pu...@wipro.com>.
Hi Gnodet,

Posted by Guillaume Nodet <gn...@gmail.com>.
> [...]

> >> The issue is already mailed to forum but still unresolved.
> >>

> http://www.nabble.com/Re%3A-Issue-Bug-with-Servicemix-web-3.2.1-%28WAR%29-tt15560488s12049.html
> >>

> > I'll have a look at it.
> >

> >> Regarding Question3:
> >> ===============
> >> If we change the JettyThreadPoolSize of servicemix-http component using
> >> JMX
> >> console, will that improve the performance of the application in case
> of
> >> JBoss deployer or not?
> >

> > Yes, there will be an impact.  The jetty thread pool size controls how
> > many
> > threads will be used by the embedded jetty server to service incoming
> > requests.  You may want to try changing the configuration and see if it
> > improves the performances.
> >

> >> Please give me some pointer to resolve these issues.

Cheers,
Guillaume Nodet
------------------------

Posted by puneetjain <pu...@wipro.com>.
Hi Gnodet,

Could you please check the xbean configuration given below.
Will this configuration override the servicemix thread pool size in case of
servicemix running with Jboss. Servicemix is intergrated with JBoss
[...]

Early reply will be highly appreciated as this is a bottleneck problem for
me.

Thanks,
Puneet

Posted by puneetjain <pu...@wipro.com>.
Hi Gnodet,

If possible, please look into this issue too.

Thanks,

Posted by puneetjain <pu...@wipro.com>.
Hi Gnodet,

Posted by Guillaume Nodet <gn...@gmail.com>.
> [...]

> > }"/>
> >               <property name="maximumPoolSize" value="${
> > servicemix.maximumPoolSize}"/>
> >               <property name="queueSize" value="${servicemix.queueSize
> }"/>
> >             </bean>
> >         </property>
> >       </bean>
> >     </sm:executorFactory>
> >   </sm:container>
> >

> >> Question 3:
> >> =======
> >>                 What is the significance of JettyThreadPoolSize of
> >> servicemix-http component when it is deployed on JBoss Application
> >> Server?
> >>

> > The JBoss deployer will not reuse the HTTP server from JBoss.  It will
> use
> > an embedded Jetty server instead.  On the other side, the servicemix web
> > application distribution will reuse the web server onto which it has

Cheers,
Guillaume Nodet
------------------------

Posted by puneetjain <pu...@wipro.com>.
Hi Gnodet,

Thanks for your quick reply.

Regarding Question1:
===============

Posted by Guillaume Nodet <gn...@gmail.com>.
On Tue, Mar 25, 2008 at 8:22 AM, puneetjain <pu...@wipro.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> We have a servicemix application integrated with JBoss server.
> The application is based on servicemix-http consumer and servicemix-bean
> components.
> I have certain doubts regarding thread pool size:
>
> Question 1:
> =======
>                  Could anyone please let me know, what is the default
> thread pool size of the servicemix running with JBoss Application Server?

corePoolSize = 4
maximumPoolSize = -1
queueSize = 1024

> Question 2:
> =======
>                 How can I configure the thread pool size?

If you use the JBoss deployer, there is no real way to do that.  You would
have to modify the code of the JBoss deployer to create an ExecutorFactory
and configure it the way you want.

If you deploy ServiceMix using the standard web app distribution, you can
modify the servicemix.xml configuration file that creates the JBI container
and add the needed definitions for the thread pools so that they can be
configured:

  <sm:container ... >
    <sm:executorFactory>
      <bean class="org.apache.servicemix.executors.impl.ExecutorFactoryImpl
">
        <property name="defaultConfig">
            <bean class="org.apache.servicemix.executors.impl.ExecutorConfig
">
              <property name="corePoolSize" value="${servicemix.corePoolSize
}"/>
              <property name="maximumPoolSize" value="${
servicemix.maximumPoolSize}"/>
              <property name="queueSize" value="${servicemix.queueSize}"/>
            </bean>
        </property>
      </bean>
    </sm:executorFactory>
  </sm:container>

> Question 3:
> =======
>                 What is the significance of JettyThreadPoolSize of
> servicemix-http component when it is deployed on JBoss Application Server?

The JBoss deployer will not reuse the HTTP server from JBoss.  It will use
an embedded Jetty server instead.  On the other side, the servicemix web
application distribution will reuse the web server onto which it has been
deployed.

> Environment:
> ========
>
> Servicemix 3.2.1