Posted to jetspeed-user@portals.apache.org by "Christopher E. Starnes" <cs...@thedigitalway.com> on 2002/03/30 17:42:00 UTC

PostgreSQL/MySQL Database Config Problem

I've tried numerous DB configurations with both PostgreSQL and MySQL
over the past few days. I've tried both the Jetspeed 1.3a2,the 3/29
nightly Jetspeed build, the released Postgres JDBC drivers, and the 7.3
development JDBC driver. Regardless of RDBMS or configuration I get the
same error at login time: Horrible Exception:
java.lang.ExceptionInInitializerError: java.lang.NullPointerException at
org.apache.turbine.om.security.peer.TurbineUserPeer.(TurbineUserPeer.java:99)
I originally wanted to use PostgreSQL, but now I just want a DB, other
than Hypersonic, to work!  Has anybody gotten Jetspeed to work with
PostgreSQL 7.3 with the 7.1 JDBC 1.2 driver?  If so how?  Did you have
to make the changes to the PostgreSQL JDBC driver described on the
Turbine site? What am I doing wrong?  My PostgreSQL setting are included
below.

TIA,

Chris Starnes

database.default.driver=com.postgresql.Driver
database.default.url=jdbc:postgresql:turbine
database.default.username=postgres
database.default.password=postgres

database.adaptor=PostgreSQL
database.adaptor.PostgreSQL=com.postgresql.Driver

Re: PostgreSQL/MySQL Database Config Problem

Posted by "Christopher E. Starnes" <cs...@thedigitalway.com>.
Thanks for the response!

> You have included the jdbc jar in your WEB-INF/lib - right?
Yes, the jdbc driver is there.

> And you have created your DB using the sql scripts in src/sql?
Both the PostgreSQL and MySQL DBs were built with the scripts provided.

> Have you looked in the WEB-INF/log/jetspeed.log - there is sometimes
> more useful clues to the problem in there.
I looked at the log, but didn't see anything that I considered out of
the ordinary.

Thanks again,

Chris

Re: PostgreSQL/MySQL Database Config Problem

Posted by Chris Kimpton <ki...@yahoo.com>.
Hi,

--- "Christopher E. Starnes" <cs...@thedigitalway.com> wrote:

> database.default.driver=org.postgresql.Driver
> database.default.url=jdbc:postgresql:turbine
> database.default.username=postgres
> database.default.password=postgres
>
> database.adaptor=PostgreSQL
> database.adaptor.PostgreSQL=org.postgresql.Driver

Looks good - we have used Oracle and Mysql fairly ok.

You have included the jdbc jar in your WEB-INF/lib - right?

And you have created your DB using the sql scripts in src/sql?

Have you looked in the WEB-INF/log/jetspeed.log - there is sometimes
more useful clues to the problem in there.

HTH,
Chris

=====
SHAMELESS PLUG: http://www.soccer2002.org.uk - Football World Cup 2002 Japan/Korea

Re: PostgreSQL/MySQL Database Config Problem

Posted by "Christopher E. Starnes" <cs...@thedigitalway.com>.
Oops... One too many changes.  My actual PostgreSQL settings are:

database.default.driver=org.postgresql.Driver
database.default.url=jdbc:postgresql:turbine
database.default.username=postgres
database.default.password=postgres

database.adaptor=PostgreSQL
database.adaptor.PostgreSQL=org.postgresql.Driver

Sorry,

Chris Starnes