Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Paul Hammes <Pa...@gmx.de> on 2008/10/21 14:11:27 UTC

context.xml and deploying a webapp

Hey all,

maybe you remember my last question regarding application deploymend and configuration via context.xml.
Customer-specific settings should be stored at the customer's tomcat server, this leads to a common WAR-file
I can deploy at every customer side: the application will configure itself by settings from local-server.
Using tomcat 5.5 on linux red hat / windows xp.

Thanks for the tip again, I've just moved all settings to $tomcat_home/conf/Catalina/localhost/myApplication.xml
This works fine, so far. BUT:

When deploying a new WAR-file (tried tomcat manager and by filesystem), the context.xml named above
is deleted by tomcat. This behaviour seems to be described in tomcat documentation. (http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-5.5-doc/config/context.html)

1. Can I configure my application in a way, tomcat will not delete my application-specific settings
when deploying a new version (war-file)?

2. How do you deploy your applications at customer side?

Thanks in advance,

Paul