Posted to legal-discuss@apache.org by "Roy T. Fielding" <fi...@gbiv.com> on 2005/07/17 12:36:07 UTC

Oscar OSGi Project and required CLAs

>>>  Like the RFC process the specifications are crafted by a closed
>>> group.  However anyone can implement these specifications.
>>
>> I don't see how you came to that conclusion.
>
> I think I would get it from the Specification itself, "Legal Terms and
> Conditions regarding the Specification";

That's impossible.  Here are example copyright licenses:

BSD:

    Redistribution and use in source and binary forms, with or
    without modification, are permitted provided that the following
    conditions are met:

Apache:

    Subject to the terms and conditions of this License, each
    Contributor hereby grants to You a perpetual, worldwide,
    non-exclusive, no-charge, royalty-free, irrevocable copyright
    license to reproduce, prepare Derivative Works of, publicly
    display, publicly perform, sublicense, and distribute the
    Work and such Derivative Works in Source or Object form.

GPL:

    You may copy and distribute verbatim copies of the Program's
    source code as you receive it, in any medium, provided that
    you conspicuously and appropriately publish on each copy an
    appropriate copyright notice and disclaimer of warranty; keep
    intact all the notices that refer to this License and to the
    absence of any warranty; and give any other recipients of the
    Program a copy of this License along with the Program.

Do you see anything even remotely like the above phrases in the
below license to the OSGi specification?

    Thank you for your request. The download of OSGi specifications
    and specification files are covered by Legal Terms and Conditions
    as appended below. Please read these Terms and Conditions.
    If you choose to download the OSGi specifications and
    specification files you are agreeing to these Legal Terms and
    Conditions. To download the OSGi specification, please read the
    following Licensing Agreement and then click the link below and
    proceed to the download page.

    LEGAL TERMS AND CONDITIONS REGARDING SPECIFICATION

    Implementation of certain elements of the Open Services Gateway
    Initiative (OSGi)Specification may be subject to third party
    intellectual property rights, including without limitation,
    patent rights (such a third party may or may not be a member
    of OSGi). OSGi is not responsible and shall not be held
    responsible in any manner for identifying or failing to identify
    any or all such third party intellectual property rights.

    THE RECIPIENT ACKNOWLEDGES AND AGREES THAT THE SPECIFICATION
    IS PROVIDED AS IS AND WITH NO WARRANTIES WHATSOEVER, WHETHER
    EXPRESS, IMPLIED OR STATUTORY, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO
    ANY WARRANTY OF MERCHANTABILITY, NONINFRINGEMENT, FITNESS OF
    ANY PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR ANY WARRANTY OTHERWISE ARISING OUT
    OF ANY PROPOSAL, SPECIFICATION, OR SAMPLE. THE RECIPIENT'S USE
    OF THE SPECIFICATION IS SOLELY AT THE RECIPIENT'S OWN RISK.
    THE RECIPIENT'S USE OF THE SPECIFICATION IS SUBJECT TO THE
    RECIPIENT'S OSGi MEMBER AGREEMENT, IN THE EVENT THAT THE
    RECIPIENT IS AN OSGi MEMBER. IN NO EVENT SHALL OSGi BE LIABLE
    OR OBLIGATED TO THE RECIPIENT OR ANY THIRD PARTY IN ANY MANNER
    FOR ANY SPECIAL, NON-COMPENSATORY, CONSEQUENTIAL, INDIRECT,
    INCIDENTAL, STATUTORY OR PUNITIVE DAMAGES OF ANY KIND, INCLUDING,
    WITHOUT LIMITATION, LOST PROFITS AND LOST REVENUE, REGARDLESS OF
    THE FORM OF ACTION, WHETHER IN CONTRACT, TORT, NEGLIGENCE,
    STRICT PRODUCT LIABILITY, OR OTHERWISE, EVEN IF OSGi HAS
    BEEN INFORMED OF OR IS AWARE OF THE POSSIBILITY OF ANY SUCH
    DAMAGES IN ADVANCE. THE LIMITATIONS SET FORTH ABOVE SHALL BE
    DEEMED TO APPLY TO THE MAXIMUM EXTENT PERMITTED BY APPLICABLE
    LAW AND NOTWITHSTANDING THE FAILURE OF THE ESSENTIAL PURPOSE
    OF ANY LIMITED REMEDIES AVAILABLE TO THE RECIPIENT.
    THE RECIPIENT ACKNOWLEDGES AND AGREES THAT THE RECIPIENT
    HAS FULLY CONSIDERED THE FOREGOING ALLOCATION OF RISK AND
    FINDS IT REASONABLE, AND THAT THE FOREGOING LIMITATIONS ARE
    AN ESSENTIAL BASIS OF THE BARGAIN BETWEEN THE RECIPIENT AND OSGi.
    IF THE RECIPIENT USES THE SPECIFICATION, THE RECIPIENT AGREES
    TO ALL OF THE FOREGOING TERMS AND CONDITIONS. IF THE RECIPIENT
    DOES NOT AGREE TO THESE TERMS AND CONDITIONS, THE RECIPIENT
    SHOULD NOT USE THE SPECIFICATION AND SHOULD CONTACT OSGi
    IMMEDIATELY.

I don't see any license there.  Under international copyright law,
recipients must gain permission from the copyright owner in order
to redistribute or create derivative works.  The OSGi membership
agreement, included below, explicitly states that the MEMBERS
retain ownership on what they do and OSGi is only given the right
to license their employee's work and to sublicense any combined work
to other MEMBERS.  Thus, my interpretation is that OSGi does not
have sufficient rights in combined works to simply license them on
their own to the ASF.

Therefore, according to OSGi documentation, we need a separate
CLA from every significant contributor to the code base before
we can distribute that code at Apache.

....Roy

RE: Oscar OSGi Project and required CLAs

Posted by Lawrence Rosen <lr...@rosenlaw.com>.
Niclas Hedhman wrote:
> Yes, that is why I asked Roy to make a distinction between
> the Specification and any donation of implementation.

I cannot visualize how ANY software standard can effectively be open unless
its specification is available to everyone under an open source license. By
the time the specification is published by someone like IETF or OASIS, it
has often lost the identity of its contributors and there is no Apache CLA
that would directly apply to it.

Of course, if someone contributed to Apache an implementation of a
specification, that contribution would presumably be covered by a CLA.

The reason we need an open source license is that organizations like Apache
and their customers are likely to copy materials from a specification in
order to implement the specification. Furthermore some specification owners
might argue (Sun does, for example, or at least they used to) that
implementations of a specification are derivative works of that
specification (even though specific code snippets aren't copied or aren't
copyrightable).

So if Apache intends to implement a specification for an industry standard,
it would be wise to ask if that specification is available under an open
source license.

I leave for another thread the issues about patent licenses for those
software standards.

/Larry Rosen

Posted by Lawrence Rosen <lr...@rosenlaw.com>.

Posted by Niclas Hedhman <ni...@hedhman.org>.

Posted by Niclas Hedhman <ni...@hedhman.org>.
On Sunday 17 July 2005 19:51, Niclas Hedhman wrote:

SO SORRY, I must be too tired...

Don't know why I referencing Justin, when **Roy** is the one who is concerned.

My deepest apologies.
Niclas

Re: Oscar OSGi Project and required CLAs

Posted by Enrique Rodriguez <en...@gmail.com>.
Alex Karasulu wrote:

>>> Every contributor will have to submit a CLA, or that code cannot be
>>> accepted.  We will also ask for a Software Grant to cover the
>>> existing code
>>> base.
>>>
>>> Does this resolve your concerns, at least sufficiently to begin
>>> Incubation
>>> of the project?
>>

>> My concerns were aimed at graduation, not beginning incubation.
>> I already created the mailing lists based on the number of
>> incubator members already indicating support.
>

> I take it this is the green light for us to start collecting the
> required CLAs, Grants and knocking on infrastructure's door?  I'll kick
> off  the process.

Great, it sounds like Alex will get on infra and I'll facilitate Richard
Hall's completion of a Software Grant and CLA and, once SVN infra is
ready and his doco is in, make sure he has the necessary config to get
his development line committed.

Enrique

Re: Oscar OSGi Project and required CLAs

Posted by Alex Karasulu <ao...@bellsouth.net>.
Roy T. Fielding wrote:

>>> I said every contributor must sign the CLA.  If there are no
>>> contributors (or only one) then that should be an easy process.
>>

>> Every contributor will have to submit a CLA, or that code cannot be
>> accepted.  We will also ask for a Software Grant to cover the
>> existing code
>> base.
>>
>> Does this resolve your concerns, at least sufficiently to begin
>> Incubation
>> of the project?
>

> My concerns were aimed at graduation, not beginning incubation.
> I already created the mailing lists based on the number of
> incubator members already indicating support.

I take it this is the green light for us to start collecting the
required CLAs, Grants and knocking on infrastructure's door?  I'll kick
off  the process.

Thanks guys,
Alex

Re: Oscar OSGi Project and required CLAs

Posted by "Roy T. Fielding" <fi...@gbiv.com>.

Posted by Rodent of Unusual Size <Ke...@Golux.Com>.

Re: Oscar OSGi Project and required CLAs

Posted by Rodent of Unusual Size <Ke...@Golux.Com>.

RE: Oscar OSGi Project and required CLAs

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.
Roy,

> I said every contributor must sign the CLA.  If there are no
> contributors (or only one) then that should be an easy process.

Every contributor will have to submit a CLA, or that code cannot be
accepted.  We will also ask for a Software Grant to cover the existing code
base.

Does this resolve your concerns, at least sufficiently to begin Incubation
of the project?

	--- Noel

RE: Oscar OSGi Project and required CLAs

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.
Roy,

Posted by "Roy T. Fielding" <fi...@gbiv.com>.
On Jul 17, 2005, at 4:51 AM, Niclas Hedhman wrote:

> AFAIK, Copyright only applies to the RIGHT to COPY. Not the RIGHT to
> CREATE,
> or right to implement.

It applies to all of those things listed in the quote from the
Apache license that I sent:

    to reproduce, prepare Derivative Works of, publicly
    display, publicly perform, sublicense, and distribute the
    Work and such Derivative Works

which of course is why I included that explicitly in our license.

> Now, we are first and foremost looking at a scenario, where WE look at
> the
> specification, READ it, and MAKE something else that behaves as what
> the
> Specification describes. Where is the COPY in question?
> We won't copy the material provided, i.e. the specification document.
> Nothing
> to copy, hence no Copyrights applies.

I don't believe that is true of the suggested code donation.
In any case, if you have the specification in front of you and
you read it while typing its contents into your code, that is copying.

> The only piece that are up for debate is the Java interfaces and other
> standard classes which are required to fulfill the Specification. To
> me, this
> sounds similar to the Sun restrictions on redistribution of certain
> Java
> platform extensions, that Geronimo re-implements as a convenience for
> the
> developers and edge-users. Does Geronimo have "prior written
> authorization of
> Sun and its licensors" for each of the APIs re-implemented, as the
> Specification Copyright notice states? (template from "JavaMail API
> Design
> Specification")

Yes, Sun's copyright notice explicitly grants those rights to
anyone who develops an independent implementation and passes the
official TCK, as well as additional rights to implement experiments,
both of which have been used by Geronimo.  Negotiating those rights
has been 99% of our Apache activity within the JCP.
Likewise, the JSPA and the specification license contains a specific
licenses to any patents owned by the EG that are necessarily
infringed by implementations, such that we don't get screwed by
submarine patents.

In contrast, the OSGi statement contains no license and explicitly
says that the alliance companies may sue us for implementing it.
Furthermore, the members agreement only supplies OSGi the right to
sublicense to the alliance members, and thus just having OSGi
agree to redistribution is not enough.

Does that make the problem clear?

> I agree that this is not "friendly". But I am not arguing about the
> Membership
> agreement at all. It is not ASF's concern, as it is not a member and
> have not
> agree to any of that. That is something between the owner of any
> "imported"
> codebases (such as Oscar) and the OSGi Alliance and the other members.
> I am
> willing to start an implementation from scratch if that is necessary.
> So if
> that is the your concern, Justin, then please spell that out and not
> put
> everything into one basket and a categorical "Every member must sign
> the
> ICLA.".

I said every contributor must sign the CLA.  If there are no
contributors (or only one) then that should be an easy process.

> Honestly, looking at your responses for TSIK and this OSGi proposal, I
> am
> getting mixed signals. On one side; "Don't search for problems. Let
> them come
> to us, and we react on it." On the other; "If we look into the
> membership
> agreement, that one or more individuals has with the organization that
> publishes the specification, then it is *possible* that there are
> parts of
> that specification that are not free of patent claims."
>
> Why is OSGi's approach different from OASIS??

The OASIS WSS approach consists of a group of companies that have
publicly stated they will provide patent licenses *if* anything
in their specs turn out to be covered by their patents.  The license
specifically says

    1. Each Author grants permission to OASIS and OASIS members the
    right to copy, display, perform, modify and distribute the
    Web Services Security ("WS-Security") draft specification and to
    authorize others to do the foregoing, in any medium without fee
    or royalty, for the purpose of further developing the WS-Security
    specification in the WSSTC as set forth in the draft WSS TC charter.

and in particular "authorize others to do the foregoing".  That is
a copyright license.  It goes on to say:

    2. Each Author commits to grant a non sub-licenseable,
    non-transferable license to third parties, under royalty-free
    and other reasonable and non-discriminatory terms and conditions,
    to certain of their respective patent claims that such Author
    deems necessary to implement required portokions of the
    WS-Security specification, provided a reciprocal license is
    granted.

which *might* be an issue *if* any of those authors did have a
necessary patent claim *and* refused to give royalty-free terms.
As far as we have been able to determine, they have no such patents
and thus we cannot possibly infringe them, nor would we be subject
to penalties if they did have patents because we asked them and
they did not say "stop".

In contrast, the OSGi approach does not grant us permission to do
anything and explicitly states that others (including members)
may sue us for infringement.  We have no permission to implement
under the OSGi "approach".  Therefore, we need to obtain permission,
and our standard form for doing so is the CLA.

Posted by "Roy T. Fielding" <fi...@gbiv.com>.

Posted by Niclas Hedhman <ni...@hedhman.org>.
On Sunday 17 July 2005 18:36, Roy T. Fielding wrote:
> Under international copyright law,
> recipients must gain permission from the copyright owner in order
> to redistribute or create derivative works.

You are probably better accustomed to international law than I am. IANAL. But,
[...]

AND the notice in the JavaMail Specification is more explicit about
prohibiting its use, than the corresponding disclaimers of the OSGi
specification;
<quote src="JavaMail API Design Specification">
This product or documentation is protected by copyright and distributed under
licenses restricting its use, copying, distribution, and decompilation.
</quote>

> The OSGi membership
> agreement, included below, explicitly states that the MEMBERS
> retain ownership on what they do and OSGi is only given the right
> to license their employee's work and to sublicense any combined work
> to other MEMBERS.

I agree that this is not "friendly". But I am not arguing about the Membership
agreement at all. It is not ASF's concern, as it is not a member and have not
agree to any of that. That is something between the owner of any "imported"
codebases (such as Oscar) and the OSGi Alliance and the other members. I am
willing to start an implementation from scratch if that is necessary. So if
that is the your concern, Justin, then please spell that out and not put
everything into one basket and a categorical "Every member must sign the
ICLA.".

Honestly, looking at your responses for TSIK and this OSGi proposal, I am
getting mixed signals. On one side; "Don't search for problems. Let them come
to us, and we react on it." On the other; "If we look into the membership
agreement, that one or more individuals has with the organization that
publishes the specification, then it is *possible* that there are parts of
that specification that are not free of patent claims."

Why is OSGi's approach different from OASIS??

Now at the end, I see Enrique has additional good answers, and I hope those
are enough to satisfy Justin's concerns. Feel free to ignore the above ;o)

Cheers
Niclas

Re: Oscar OSGi Project and required CLAs

Posted by Niclas Hedhman <ni...@hedhman.org>.

Posted by Niclas Hedhman <ni...@hedhman.org>.

Posted by Jochen Wiedmann <jo...@gmail.com>.
> I think I would get it from the Specification itself, "Legal Terms and
> Conditions regarding the Specification";

Niclas, I may be wrong, so fix me, if required. But my impression is,
that those terms apply to the *specification* and not to any *software
implementing the specification*, and you seem to understand the
latter.

Jochen

--
What are the first steps on the moon, compared to your child's?

Re: Oscar OSGi Project and required CLAs

Posted by Jochen Wiedmann <jo...@gmail.com>.