Posted to gui-dev@apache.org by Randy Terbush <ra...@zyzzyva.com> on 1997/08/15 22:19:09 UTC

Re: Protocols and Plans

As part of this project, I would like to see the necessary support
for the protocol become a standard part of Apache. Given the
dedication to support for public standards that the Apache group
strongly believes in, I think that the chances for adoption of a
unique standard are slim.

Reasons for using SNMP:
* SNMP is capable of doing everything we need to do.
* There is already work being done on an HTTP MIB.
* There are hundreds of tools available to access a service
  supporting SNMP. (Perl, Tcl, etc)

Reasons for not using SNMP:
* Something else for us to learn.
* Provides more depth of service than we probably need.

I'm redirecting this discussion back to the list. Even though there
has not been much discussion in there, this might as well be there
so that others interested can comment.

-Randy