Posted to user@beam.apache.org by Piotr Szuberski <pi...@polidea.com> on 2020/10/23 13:24:27 UTC

Which Solr versions should be supported by Beam

Beam has quite old Solr dependency (5.x.y) which has been deprecated for a long time.

Solr dependency has recently been updated to 8.6.y, but there is a question which versions should be supported?

Are there users using versions older than 7.x.y?

Re: Which Solr versions should be supported by Beam

Posted by Piotr Szuberski <pi...@polidea.com>.
Another response from Solr devlist:

Based on the questions that we've seen over the past month on this list,
there are still users with Solr on 6, 7, and 8. I suspect there are still
Solr 5 users out there too, although they don't appear to be asking for
help - likely they are in set it and forget it mode.

Solr 7 may not be officially deprecated on our site, but it's pretty old at
this point and we're not doing any development on it outside of maaaaybe a
very high profile security fix. Even then, we might acknowledge it and
recommend users update to 8.x anyway.

The index files generated by Lucene and consumed by Solr are backwards
compatible up to one major version. Some of the API remains compatible, a
client issuing simple queries to Solr 5 would probably work fine even
against Solr 9 when it comes out eventually. A client doing admin
operations will be less certain. I don't know enough about Beam to tell you
where on the spectrum your use will fall.

Re: Which Solr versions should be supported by Beam

Posted by Piotr Szuberski <pi...@polidea.com>.
So I think we can leave it as it is.

The only problem would be if a user has a project using Beam and different Solr dependency at once - then Beam would enforce him to use the version Beam does. Should I change the dependency to 'provided' to cover this case? Earlier we had 5.5.2 version as compile dependency and there were no complains.

Posted by Piotr Szuberski <pi...@polidea.com>.
Response from Solr:

Posted by Kenneth Knowles <ke...@apache.org>.