Posted to dev@uima.apache.org by Marshall Schor <sc...@apache.org> on 2017/01/31 17:01:29 UTC

[ANNOUNCE] Apache UIMA Java SDK 3.0.0-alpha released

The Apache UIMA team is pleased to announce the release of the Apache UIMA Java
SDK, version 3.0.0-alpha.  This is an early of version 3.0.0 intended to enable
a wider set of users to test and give feedback.

Apache UIMA <http://uima.apache.org> is a component architecture and framework
for the analysis of unstructured content like text, video and audio data.

This release is a major rewrite of the internals of core UIMA, and
includes many new features, including:
 -- support for arbitrary Java objects in the CAS
 -- New semi-built-in UIMA types: FSArrayList, FSHashSet, IntegerArrayList
 -- New "select" framework integrated with Java 8 Streams
 -- Elimination of concurrent modification exception
      while iterating over UIMA indexes
 -- Automatic Garbage Collection of unreferenced Feature Structures

A full description of the new and changed parts is here:
http://uima.apache.org/d/uimaj-3.0.0-alpha/version_3_users_guide.html

This release requires Java 8, and is intended to be backwards compatible with
existing Version 2 pipeline code, except for the need to regenerate or migrate
(tooling provided) user-defined JCas class definitions.

Please send feedback via the Apache UIMA project mailing lists.

 -Marshall Schor, for the Apache UIMA development team

Re: [ANNOUNCE] Apache UIMA Java SDK 3.0.0-alpha released

Posted by Marshall Schor <sc...@apache.org>.
Hi David,

Please see the responses to these questions in the replies to your original
note, dated Feb 14 and 15th.

If you're not subscribed to the mailing lists, you can view them on

https://lists.apache.org/list.html?dev@uima.apache.org

Cheers. -Marshall

Posted by Marshall Schor <sc...@apache.org>.

On 5/15/2017 11:11 AM, Benjamin De Boe wrote:
> Hi,
>
> David: FYI, we've been able to get our UIMACPP code to work with the UIMA 3.0.0-alpha2 kit with just a rebuild. It's not that we're covering the entire surface area, but at least the upgrade passed fine.

This is great news :-), thanks for testing.

> Marshall: Are there any plans for a new UIMACPP release? We'd especially like to see https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/UIMA-4899 resolved, given the impact it has on our use of the framework.

We recently added a new committer, William Colen, who is planning on working on
some fixes and upgrades for UIMA-CPP.

William, can you please also take a look at UIMA-4899, too?

Thanks. -Marshall

Posted by Marshall Schor <sc...@apache.org>.
Hi,

To anyone following this thread, it's cross-posted on the dev@uima.apache.org
mailing list, and is being responded to there.

-Marshall

Posted by Jaroslaw Cwiklik <ui...@gmail.com>.
The UIMA-AS is undergoing refactoring right now so it will take some time
to complete and internally test it. I think 3rd quarter is a realistic
target but will try to deliver sooner.

-Jerry

Posted by Marshall Schor <sc...@apache.org>.