Posted to dev@devicemap.apache.org by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org> on 2012/03/06 15:20:01 UTC

Which device properties do we need?

Hi,

Considering our (at least my) main use case of adapting modern
websites to modern client devices, we might not need more than this
for each of our devices:

User-Agent
Optional Regexp that applies to User-Agent to map similar devices to a
single DeviceMap entry
Vendor make and model (useful for troubleshooting mostly)

uaprof URL (like http://www.htcmms.com.tw/Android/Common/DesireZ/ua-profile.xml)

screen size, rotation support? (for each screen if several)

browser type and version

html, css and javascript version(s) supported
audio/video/image formats supported
html5 extra features supported (audio, video, geolocation etc.)

For modern devices, I imagine the last group derives from the browser
type and version in most cases, so we might have separate device
entries for browsers, and devices can override properties if needed.

WDYT?

-Bertrand