Posted to dev@tomcat.apache.org by Remy Maucherat <re...@apache.org> on 2004/10/04 19:40:00 UTC

[5.5] Todo list

My todo list currently includes:
- A simple host manager webapp (with Ant tasks)
- A String cache for MessageBytes (which could be enabled using a
special system property)
- Decent default java.util.logging configuration
- Default JMX Remote configuration for Java 5 (ready to enable by
uncommenting stuff)
- Allowing pluggability for commons-modeler

I think the last item would not be in a first stable 5.5 release, as it
might take a little time. It's probably a bit like Costin's new stuff ;)

Rémy

Re: [5.5] Todo list

Posted by Peter Rossbach <pr...@objektpark.de>.
Hey Remy,

very good new items.

It was very usefull that all elements can get time events. Then it was
very easy to
control some reloading or monitoring things.

Yes, we can refactor the current AccessLogger. Let us have a look to the
Apache httpd Module.
       Asynch mode very welcome
       Better support for Unix rotatelogs
       Faster output generation without patter parseing on every request.

Following I want to add:
    - wrote a better save-to-xml way
          I have factor out the current StandardServer method to
separate  saving objects.
          Currently my module working well, but I have problems with the
new default context.xml handling.
          I want contribute the new code as seperate module. Configure
the new thing with seperate Listener and MBean.
          After a while of successful testing, we can remove the current
StandardServer routines.

Peter

Remy Maucherat schrieb:

> Remy Maucherat wrote:
>
>> My todo list currently includes:
>> - A simple host manager webapp (with Ant tasks)
>> - A String cache for MessageBytes (which could be enabled using a
>> special system property)
>> - Decent default java.util.logging configuration
>> - Default JMX Remote configuration for Java 5 (ready to enable by
>> uncommenting stuff)
>> - Allowing pluggability for commons-modeler
>

> Adding new items:
> - Extend the backgroundProcess() method to most other components,
> including: Valve, Loader, Realm, etc;
> ContainerBase.backgroundProcess() will call these methods
> - Use this to try to provide an optimized version of the access
> logging valve (access logging is likely used in production for
> standalone Tomcat, and it has very bad performance right now) which
> would do asynchronous writes to its file (and hopefully be more
> efficient)
>
> Rémy

J2EE Systemarchitekt und Tomcat Experte

http://objektpark.de/
http://www.webapp.de/

Am Josephsschacht 72, 44879 Bochum, Deutschland
Telefon:  (49) 234 9413228
Mobil:    (49) 175 1660884
E-Mail:  pr@objektpark.de

Re: [5.5] Todo list

Posted by Remy Maucherat <re...@apache.org>.
Tim Funk wrote:

> Just an fyi, At one time, I was thinking that AccessLogValve was bad
> for performance. But I think it has no effect unless you are maxed out
> in processors.
>
> The AccessLog writing only occurs *after* the response has been sent
> to the client and the request is essentially done. I think if there is
> a performance issue - it is OS/filesystem specific. We pounded some
> HPUX boxes with and without access logs turned on. As long as we did
> not run out of processors, we didn't see any performance differences.
>
> It might be of interest to parse and decode the pattern at set time
> for AccessLogValve (like the ExtendedVersion does) to prevent a lot of
> extra string comparisons. (If the user chooses a custom pattern) But
> I'm indifferent because of the results I posted above.
>
> On a stressed system, this might still be a good thing todo.

If I actually do anything, I'd do it in a separate valve class for now
(so I won't touch the current valve).

Rémy

Re: [5.5] Todo list

Posted by Tim Funk <fu...@joedog.org>.
Just an fyi, At one time, I was thinking that AccessLogValve was bad for
performance. But I think it has no effect unless you are maxed out in processors.

The AccessLog writing only occurs *after* the response has been sent to the
client and the request is essentially done. I think if there is a performance
issue - it is OS/filesystem specific. We pounded some HPUX boxes with and
without access logs turned on. As long as we did not run out of processors,
we didn't see any performance differences.

It might be of interest to parse and decode the pattern at set time for
AccessLogValve (like the ExtendedVersion does) to prevent a lot of extra
string comparisons. (If the user chooses a custom pattern) But I'm
indifferent because of the results I posted above.

On a stressed system, this might still be a good thing todo.

-Tim

Re: [5.5] Todo list

Posted by Remy Maucherat <re...@apache.org>.

Re: [5.5] Todo list

Posted by Costin Manolache <cm...@yahoo.com>.
Remy Maucherat wrote:
> Remy Maucherat wrote:
>
>> - Decent default java.util.logging configuration
>

> I don't see any sensible configuration given what the standard handlers
> are (limited rotation options, little possibility of avoiding hardcoding
> logfiles paths, etc). Also, the reload operation is not exposed to JMX
> (other operations are exposed, however).
>
> So I'll add a default configuration file from the JRE, where we'll add
> some example catagory names to help users, but that's unfortunately all
> that can be done by default.
>
> Rémy

And some people are using log4j :-)

I just can't live with the 2-line per log and the formated date, and I
found no way to change this  ( except writting my own formatter ).

Costin

Re: [5.5] Todo list

Posted by Remy Maucherat <re...@apache.org>.