Posted to dev@uima.apache.org by Peter Klügl <pk...@uni-wuerzburg.de> on 2013/02/18 14:19:13 UTC

[VOTE] Apache UIMA TextMarker RC6 AND Composite Repository

Hi,

the 6th release candidate of the sandbox project Apache UIMA TextMarker
is ready for voting. This vote also includes our new composite repository.

Staging repository:
https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapacheuima-242/

SVN tag:
https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/uima/sandbox/textmarker/tags/textmarker-2.0.0-rc6

Composite repository with three update sites: uimaj, uima-as and
textmarker-2.0.0:
http://people.apache.org/~pkluegl/uima-releases/textmarker-2.0.0-rc6/eclipse-update-site

Archive with all sources:
http://people.apache.org/~pkluegl/uima-releases/textmarker-2.0.0-rc6/source/textmarker-2.0.0-source-release.zip

Binary distributions:
http://people.apache.org/~pkluegl/uima-releases/textmarker-2.0.0-rc6/dist/

The issues fixed are in the RELEASE_NOTES.html in the src/bin packages.
They can also be found here:
https://issues.apache.org/jira/issues/?jql=project%20%3D%20UIMA%20AND%20fixVersion%20%3D%20%222.0.0TextMarker%22%20AND%20component%20%3D%20TextMarker%20AND%20status%20in%20(Resolved%2C%20Closed)%20ORDER%20BY%20priority%20DESC

ONLY FOR REVIEWING:

Documentation (pdf file):
http://people.apache.org/~pkluegl/uima-releases/textmarker-2.0.0-rc6/tools.textmarker.book.pdf

This RC includes recently resolved issues, e.g., the Eclipse 4.2 support.

Please vote on release:

[ ] +1 OK to release
[ ]  0 Don't care
[ ] -1 Not OK to release, because ...

Thanks.

Peter

Re: [VOTE] Apache UIMA TextMarker RC6 AND Composite Repository

Posted by Peter Klügl <pk...@uni-wuerzburg.de>.
Oh... thanks. I thought release/uima meant the second file. I will add it.

Peter

Posted by Marshall Schor <ms...@schor.com>.

Re: [RESULT][VOTE] Apache UIMA TextMarker RC6 AND Composite Repository

Posted by Peter Klügl <pk...@apache.org>.
If there are no objections, I will commit the changes for the website
since they are not really invasive and fulfill their purpose.

Has anyone an idea why
http://uima.apache.org/d/textmarker-current/tools.textmarker.book.html
is not accessible?

Peter

Posted by Marshall Schor <ms...@schor.com>.
I have an idea.

I've done an experiment to "confirm", which will take maybe an hour... If
confirmed, it's an infra issue and I'll post a Jira.  Otherwise, I'll ask about
it on the infra list.

The thing I'm guessing is happening is that some part of the "rsync" system that
was set up prior to the current method of pub/sub publishing didn't get quite
shut off, and/or the pubsub is excluding the docs/d directory.

I removed a silly index.html file in the old pub spot on people.a.o, and if it
disappears in an hour or so on the website, this will confirm that the rsynch is
still running...

-Marshall

Posted by Peter Klügl <pk...@uni-wuerzburg.de>.

Posted by Peter Klügl <pk...@uni-wuerzburg.de>.

Posted by Peter Klügl <pk...@uni-wuerzburg.de>.

Posted by Marshall Schor <ms...@schor.com>.
Re: the download:  the only thing to download in this release is the
source-release.zip, I think (since we're not releasing the binary zip/tar
assemblies at this time).  The other artifacts are released to Maven Central.

-Marshall

Posted by Marshall Schor <ms...@schor.com>.

Posted by Marshall Schor <ms...@schor.com>.
On 3/5/2013 9:58 AM, Peter Klügl wrote:
> I will replace the update site in release/uima, right?
>
> Just asking in order to avoid mistakes on my side.

We're all learning here :-).  But, yes, that is my understanding.

-Marshall

Posted by Peter Klügl <pk...@uni-wuerzburg.de>.

Posted by Tommaso Teofili <to...@gmail.com>.
here I am guys, sorry for being late.

+1 for releasing.

Tommaso

p.s.:

BTW some time ago there's been a discussion on general@incubator about
releases containing binaries (either binary packages or sources with binary
dependencies) which turned out to the fact that we at ASF (and more
generally in OSS I think) release open source so basically each release
vote should only "deal" with the sources, binaries should be considered
something like "convenience" packages, here's the link to the thread :
http://markmail.org/thread/a4kbf33vn57dkz2j

Posted by Peter Klügl <pk...@uni-wuerzburg.de>.

Posted by Peter Klügl <pk...@uni-wuerzburg.de>.

Posted by Marshall Schor <ms...@schor.com>.

Posted by Marshall Schor <ms...@schor.com>.
On 2/26/2013 11:06 AM, Peter Klügl wrote:
> On 26.02.2013 16:04, Marshall Schor wrote:
>
> You had a good point in your mail "Suggestion to add a binary zip/tar
> distributable": A distribution for users that do not use maven or eclipse, but
> want to use the AE or the example project. Thus, the distribution contains,
> for example, the example project and the engine plugin, which can be used to
> run the AE if you have uima in your classpath.
>
> I have refrained from including everything textmarker needs to be applied
> because this would also include uimaj, but maybe it is reasonable to include
> only the other dependencies. In a scenario like "download the UIMA Java
> framework and then the UIMA TextMarker dist", the "uima-textmarker.jar" (which
> should be renamed to textmarker-core.jar!) would still be not very useful
> since the other dependencies are not included. On the other hand, the engine
> plugin should do the job, even if using an eclipse bundle is not a very nice
> solution.
>
> The documentation contains no information about setting up projects in a
> normal java environment right now, but focuses on the language and the
> workbench. Maybe I am a bit naive, but I thought that the targeted users
> already know what needs to be done to set up a java/uima project (e.g., adding
> the libs to your classpath). Such a description should also cover how to
> include textmarker in maven-based projects.
>
> I would add this kind of information rather to a webpage than to the
> documentation, which remind me that something should be done about the
> web-presence of textmarker.
>
> I see five options to proceed:
> 1. remove the binary assembly from the release
> 2. keep it as it is right now
> 3. keep it as it is, but add a description somewhere how to set up java projects
> 4. extend it by adding the other dependencies (e.g., antlr) and add a note
> about downloading the UIMA Java framework
> 5. extend it by adding everything including uimaj
>
> I prefer the former options (especially 2.) and would improve the usage of
> textmarker in other scenarios in the following releases :-)

I think that because this is a Sandbox release, and the first one, that it's OK
to have some unfinished rough edges.  I do think it ought to have a certain
level of internal consistency, though.  Because there's currently no
documentation on how users would use the binary assembly, and, indeed, there may
be undocumented install steps, such as stated above - renaming a JAR, I think
the user community would get the best impression of this new project's first
release if we went with option 1.

I would be OK, also, with option 2, but think it might reduce the impression new
users would have of this project, a bit, so I prefer it less :-).

-Marshall

Re: [VOTE] Apache UIMA TextMarker RC6 AND Composite Repository

Posted by Peter Klügl <pk...@uni-wuerzburg.de>.

Posted by Marshall Schor <ms...@schor.com>.

Posted by Peter Klügl <pk...@uni-wuerzburg.de>.

Posted by Marshall Schor <ms...@schor.com>.

Posted by Jörn Kottmann <ko...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Peter Klügl <pk...@uni-wuerzburg.de>.

Posted by Marshall Schor <ms...@schor.com>.

Posted by Marshall Schor <ms...@schor.com>.
Other than the two issues noted above, the RC looks pretty good.

I compared the SVN tag vs the source-release - looks OK.

I built from the source-release, after clearing my local .m2 repo of previous
textmarker artifacts - OK.

I checked the licenses/notices in a bunch of places (found previously reported
issue).

I unzipped/untarred the binary artifact and compared them - OK

I did a cursory MD5/SHA1 check on a few things - OK

I installed the Eclipse features using the update site into Eclipse 4.2.1 -
looks OK.

Posted by Marshall Schor <ms...@schor.com>.
Hi,

I'm about to start testing on this version.

-Marshall

Re: [VOTE] Apache UIMA TextMarker RC6 AND Composite Repository

Posted by Marshall Schor <ms...@schor.com>.
On 2/27/2013 4:53 AM, Peter Klügl wrote:
> On 26.02.2013 20:29, Marshall Schor wrote:
>>> Hmm, I do not remember it exactly, but I think one step was missing. Right now
>>> I deactivated assembly.attach and activated maven-deploy-plugin in the "build
>>> distribution" profile.  <snip>
>>> Should I propare a new RC or can we improve that in the next release?
>>>
>> If you choose option (1) (from the other thread about what to do regarding the
>> binary convenience builds) which is to not include these in the release, then of
>> course, the missing asc files don't matter :-)
>>
>> Let me know if you choose option 2 - because the zip and tar.gz files are not
>> identical between dist2/ and dist (they have different MD5 signatures, for
>> instance), I'll need to recheck the "signed" ones.
>
> Yes, I noticed that the signatures changed and, therefore, I recreated the
> assemblies and signed them again in one go.
>
> Let's take option (1). I completely agree with your argument in your last
> mail. The first impression often determines whether a tool is taken into
> consideration at all. Just to explain my hurry a bit: Some time already went
> by since I contributed textmarker and I suppose some people already use the
> system, but there is no official released version yet. Access to the
> documentation and the update site is quite cumbersome for normal users. A
> not-so-perfect release has maybe more advantages than disadvantages, and there
> is still so much work to do that the next release will hopefully happen in six
> months' time.
OK, sounds like a good plan.  I'll try to finish checking the remaining
artifacts and vote :-)

-Marshall

Posted by Peter Klügl <pk...@uni-wuerzburg.de>.

Posted by Marshall Schor <ms...@schor.com>.

Posted by Peter Klügl <pk...@uni-wuerzburg.de>.
On 26.02.2013 14:49, Marshall Schor wrote:
> On 2/26/2013 8:14 AM, Peter Klügl wrote:
>> OK, I found the reason. I have set assembly.attach to false so the assemblies
>> (e.g. source-release) won't be uploaded to the staging repository. With
>> assembly.attach=true, as uimaj uses it I think, the asc files are present in
>> the target folder.
>>
>> May I solve this issue with a workaround, for example, by keeping
>> assembly.attach=false and manually signing the assemblies?
> The other thing that the UIMA parent pom does is to have these assemblies
> "attached", so they get signed, but have the deploy step "skip" deploying them.
> See the profile "build distribution" which is activated if there is a file in
> /src/main/assembly/bin.xml, in the UIMA parent pom.
>
> Would this work for your case?

Hmm, I do not remember it exactly, but I think one step was missing.
Right now I deactivated assembly.attach and activated
maven-deploy-plugin in the "build distribution" profile.

  <properties>
     <assembly.attach>false</assembly.attach>
   </properties>

<profile>
       <id>build distribution</id>
       <build>
         <plugins>
           <plugin>
             <!-- do not skip maven deployment of this project's
artifacts -->
<artifactId>maven-deploy-plugin</artifactId>
             <configuration>
               <skip>false</skip>
             </configuration>
           </plugin>
         </plugins>
       </build>
     </profile>

HOWEVER, I did this before I added the bin.xml and that was probably
also the reason why the source-release was uploaded to the staging
repository. Now, that makes sense :-)

Posted by Marshall Schor <ms...@schor.com>.

Posted by Peter Klügl <pk...@uni-wuerzburg.de>.

Posted by Peter Klügl <pk...@uni-wuerzburg.de>.