Posted to dev@perl.apache.org by Stas Bekman <st...@stason.org> on 2001/11/02 12:13:23 UTC

rfc: moving modperl-site rep into modperl-docs rep

This is an important change that I want to make, so please let me know
if don't feel comfortable with my proposal.

I've developed a package that can handle a docset of sources (in pod and
html currently, more formats to come) and generate an output in
html/ps/pdf (more formats to come). It should be very simple to manage
the source docset. The docsets can be nested.

Therefore I propose to merge documentation with mod_perl site and make
it one source docset, which is all properly linked and has an easy
navigation and buildable from one spot. That's why I suggest to remove
the modperl-site cvs repository and add the few docs from the site that
we have to the modperl-docs rep. Alternatively, we can nest modperl-docs
rep inside modperl-site rep on checkout.

Currently to update the site we do:
   on our machines:
   1. cvs up
   2. apply changes
   3. cvs ci
   on apache.org:
   4. cvs up

With my proposal we will have to do:
   on our machines:
   1. cvs up
   2. apply changes
   3. cvs ci
   on apache.org:
   4. cvs up
   5. bin/build

so there is one extra step to do. Is this OK?

issues:

   - need to install TemplateToolkit and a few other packages on
apache.org :( I guess we can do it locally, I don't want to pester Brian.
   - the package handles links so we have no problem linking to e.g.
perl.apache.org/dist/
   - embperl site, I suppose it can be folded into the docset, if Gerald
doesn't mind.
   - anything else?

p.s. please don't ask me about the code, as soon as I put it in a better
shape, I'll announce it here:

Re: moving modperl-site rep into modperl-docs rep

Posted by Gerald Richter <ri...@ecos.de>.

> > Most things will be static and pregenerated, like you plan it for the
> > mod_perl site. There maybe a small dynamic part, where people are able
> > add links, examples, news etc.
>

> that would be a very good thing to have! The problem is providing the
required setup on apache.org.

For the Embperl site I have thought about setting up the dynamic part on our
own server (simply because it's esaier for me to adminitrate, because I am
root there). If the components are usefull for the modperl site, I am sure
we will find a way to let them run on perl.apache.org and move them over. I
case we can't, it should be possible to do the hosting for the dynamic part
of the modperl site at our server.

> As you have seen I'm pretty much done. Now doing
>
> code refactoring to make more extendable.

I am looking forward to see it and check out where I can plug in

Gerald

Re: moving modperl-site rep into modperl-docs rep

Posted by Gerald Richter <ri...@ecos.de>.

Posted by Stas Bekman <st...@stason.org>.
>>Say, do you plan on static output from Embperl or only dynamic for
>>embperl docs? It doesn't make much sense to serve static content
>>dynamically, resource wise of course.
>>

> Most things will be static and pregenerated, like you plan it for the
> mod_perl site. There maybe a small dynamic part, where people are able to
> add links, examples, news etc.

that would be a very good thing to have! The problem is providing the required setup on apache.org.

>>BTW, what's the source format that you use for embperl?
>>

> Everything is in POD, because it really the best and easiest way to write it
> down

fantastic!

>> may be it can
>>just plug into the docset system, and then we can keep it under the same
>>roof.
>>

> I would be happy if we keep it under the same roof. I don't like to reinvent
> the wheel, but I like to have the possibility to make my own design and use
> Embperl for rendering, instead of TT. Hopefully there are also some aspects
> in things that I programm that will be usefull for the modperl site.

That's sounds cool. I'm looking forward for other extensions to chime in.

Posted by Stas Bekman <st...@stason.org>.
>>Say, do you plan on static output from Embperl or only dynamic for
>>embperl docs? It doesn't make much sense to serve static content
>>dynamically, resource wise of course.
>>

> Most things will be static and pregenerated, like you plan it for the
> mod_perl site. There maybe a small dynamic part, where people are able to
> add links, examples, news etc.

that would be a very good thing to have! The problem is providing the required setup on apache.org.

>>BTW, what's the source format that you use for embperl?
>>

> Everything is in POD, because it really the best and easiest way to write it
> down

fantastic!

Posted by Gerald Richter <ri...@ecos.de>.

> Well, the code is quite crude yet, and it's hard to modularize before
> you know what to plan for, but yes the rendering engine is a separate
> thing. So after generalizing it and making it pluggable it should be
> possible to use other rendering modules.

I will take a look at it when you release it

Posted by Gerald Richter <ri...@ecos.de>.

Posted by Stas Bekman <st...@stason.org>.
Gerald Richter wrote:

>>   - the package handles links so we have no problem linking to e.g.
>>perl.apache.org/dist/
>>

> ok, so we have the possibility to use content that is not part of the docset

yup.

>>   - embperl site, I suppose it can be folded into the docset, if Gerald
>>doesn't mind.
>>

> For the Embperl site I have slightly different plans. There is a redesign
> already on the road for a couple of time, I just didn't have the time to
> finish and upload it. I have followed the discussion about the docset thing.
> I like your docset idea, but I have also own ideas which build on the new
> features of Embperl (namly XML & XSLT) Hopefully your docset tool is modular
> enough that TT is only used for rendering, so it would be maybe possible to
> plug Embperl, instead of TT ? (of course it doesn't would look nice if the
> Embperl website says "powered by TemplateToolkit :-)
>
> so for now we maybe can simply keep the modperl-site cvs and use it only for
> Embperl (and maybe the dist dir).

Well, the code is quite crude yet, and it's hard to modularize before
you know what to plan for, but yes the rendering engine is a separate
thing. So after generalizing it and making it pluggable it should be
possible to use other rendering modules.

Say, do you plan on static output from Embperl or only dynamic for
embperl docs? It doesn't make much sense to serve static content
dynamically, resource wise of course.

BTW, what's the source format that you use for embperl? may be it can

Posted by Stas Bekman <st...@stason.org>.

Posted by Gerald Richter <ri...@ecos.de>.

> With my proposal we will have to do:
>    on our machines:
>    1. cvs up
>    2. apply changes
>    3. cvs ci
>    on apache.org:
>    4. cvs up
>    5. bin/build
>
> so there is one extra step to do. Is this OK?

For the modperl site that would be ok for me. (Since everything is done for
me by a Perl script, is doesn't matter if there is an addtional step :-)

> issues:
>
>    - need to install TemplateToolkit and a few other packages on
> apache.org :( I guess we can do it locally, I don't want to pester Brian.

Should be no problem

Posted by Gerald Richter <ri...@ecos.de>.