Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Thomas Jacob <ja...@internet24.de> on 2005/06/09 13:36:51 UTC

Re: 3.0.3/4 uses all CPUs after tie (uuencoded attachments)?

It seems, that for us at least, this is caused by Spamassassin scanning
larger (>1mb) mails containing uuencoded files, without mime attachment
headers
or anything.

But this only seems to happen sometimes or when spamd has been running
for a little while, for if we feed an email that appears to have caused
the memory problem into a restarted spamd, nothing happens.

When spamd chokes on such a mail, it slowly but constantly increases its
memory usage, eating up all the systems memory.

We haven't been using a size-limit for exiscan/exim up till now, but
that can hardly be the root cause of the problem, for why would
need spamd gigabytes of memory when processing, let's say, a 10mb
mail?

Re: 3.0.3/4 uses all CPUs after tie (uuencoded attachments)?

Posted by Thomas Jacob <ja...@internet24.de>.
> Yes, a size limit is *required*.   It's very important to limit
> the size of messages scanned by SpamAssassin.

Well, we're limiting the size of emails that spamd sees now, maybe
that will "solve" the problem, and of course it's generally sensibly to
do this, as there isn't really much spam larger than lets say 250k,
but still, when scanning a single 10mb mail makes the spamd process dealing
with that mail eat >2 gigabytes of main memory until all of it is exhausted,
that doesn't seem like "normal" programm behaviour, does it?

What could it possibly do with that much memory for a 10mb mail? ;)