Posted to dev@tomcat.apache.org by Jacob Hookom <ja...@hookom.net> on 2006/01/10 01:52:17 UTC

Initial EL/JSP 2.1 Contribution

I've posted an initial contribution of a complete EL-API implementation
under Apache 2.0 licensine, along with the EL-API itself (JSR-245-EL).\

EL Implementation (org.apache.el.*)
http://www.hookom.net/jacob/tomcat/el.zip

EL API (javax.el.*)
http://www.hookom.net/jacob/jsr245-el.zip

I've been rolling this code base into JSP 2.1 within a local sandbox,
but I still have questions about the particulars of the overal project
packaging for Tomcat 6.

Best Regards Everyone

--
Jacob Hookom  -  Minneapolis

Re: Initial EL/JSP 2.1 Contribution

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.
Bill Barker wrote:
> Shouldn't we also have something under servletapi for the javax.el stuff?
I was applying lazy instantiation ;) When someone shouts for it (and
assuming they don't just create it themselves) I'll add it. Until then
I had assumed we would build with the official jars.

Mark

Re: Initial EL/JSP 2.1 Contribution

Posted by Bill Barker <wb...@wilshire.com>.
Shouldn't we also have something under servletapi for the javax.el stuff?

More generally, I agree with Remy that it would be nice to have an
ASF-licensed implementation of Servlet-2.5/JSP-2.1, rather than relying on
the official version from GlassFish.  However, I realize that this is more
contentious, so probably belongs in a separate thread ;-).

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.

Posted by Remy Maucherat <re...@apache.org>.
Costin Manolache wrote:
> What about:
>
> 1. create tomcat/tomcat6.0
>
> 2. mkdir tomcat/tomcat6.0/jasper
>
> Or even better:
>
> 2. mkdir tomcat/tomcat6.0/java/org/apache/tomcat/jasper
>
> You can do all the work on jasper in the tomcat6.0 svn module, and
> maybe in time other components will move here as well.
>
> The build.xml changes for this case will be the same with what you
> propose, you still need to get jasper from a different place when
> building tomcat6.0, etc.

Personally, unless you really insist, I would still like to keep Jasper
as an independent module, with a separate source tree. Same for the API
implementations (servletapi right now). These could be the two exceptions.

The tree I maintain is like that, and it works well.

I think for this new Jasper, Java5 usage for container coding, and
possibly code generation (assuming there are places where it adds
value), should be acceptable.

Rémy

Re: Initial EL/JSP 2.1 Contribution

Posted by Costin Manolache <co...@gmail.com>.
On 1/10/06, Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org> wrote:
> Remy Maucherat wrote:
> > Jacob Hookom wrote:
> >> I've been rolling this code base into JSP 2.1 within a local sandbox,
> >> but I still have questions about the particulars of the overal project
> >> packaging for Tomcat 6.
> >
> > Very good :)
> > Personally, I still would like to "start slow" and for now create a tree
> > or something only inside the jasper module.
>
> Based on this, I propose the following changes to svn.
>
> copy /tomcat/jasper/tc5.5.x/ to /tomcat/jasper/tc6.0.x/
> create /tomcat/jasper/tags/tc6.0.x/
>
> Eventually, /tomcat/jasper/tc5.5.x/ will move to
> /tomcat/jasper/branches/tc5.5.x/ but I think this move should take
> place when all of the tc5.5.x modules are moved to
> modulename/branches/ and the full tc6.0.x modules are created.
>
> Commits to /tomcat/jasper/tc5.5.x/ will have to be merged with
> /tomcat/jasper/tags/tc6.0.x/
>
> If I don't get any -1's in the next 72 hours, I'll make the changes
> set out above.

What about:

1. create tomcat/tomcat6.0

2. mkdir tomcat/tomcat6.0/jasper

Or even better:

2. mkdir tomcat/tomcat6.0/java/org/apache/tomcat/jasper

You can do all the work on jasper in the tomcat6.0 svn module, and
maybe in time other components will move here as well.

The build.xml changes for this case will be the same with what you
propose, you still need to get jasper from a different place when
building tomcat6.0, etc.

Costin

Re: Initial EL/JSP 2.1 Contribution

Posted by Remy Maucherat <re...@apache.org>.
Mark Thomas wrote:
> Based on this, I propose the following changes to svn.
>
> copy /tomcat/jasper/tc5.5.x/ to /tomcat/jasper/tc6.0.x/
> create /tomcat/jasper/tags/tc6.0.x/
>
> Eventually, /tomcat/jasper/tc5.5.x/ will move to
> /tomcat/jasper/branches/tc5.5.x/ but I think this move should take
> place when all of the tc5.5.x modules are moved to
> modulename/branches/ and the full tc6.0.x modules are created.
>
> Commits to /tomcat/jasper/tc5.5.x/ will have to be merged with
> /tomcat/jasper/tags/tc6.0.x/
>
> If I don't get any -1's in the next 72 hours, I'll make the changes
> set out above.

Yes, I think it's the right way for now. Thanks :)

Rémy

Re: Initial EL/JSP 2.1 Contribution

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.

Posted by Remy Maucherat <re...@apache.org>.
Jacob Hookom wrote:
> I've posted an initial contribution of a complete EL-API implementation
> under Apache 2.0 licensine, along with the EL-API itself (JSR-245-EL).\
>
> EL Implementation (org.apache.el.*)
> http://www.hookom.net/jacob/tomcat/el.zip
>
> EL API (javax.el.*)
> http://www.hookom.net/jacob/jsr245-el.zip
>
> I've been rolling this code base into JSP 2.1 within a local sandbox,
> but I still have questions about the particulars of the overal project
> packaging for Tomcat 6.

Very good :)
Personally, I still would like to "start slow" and for now create a tree
or something only inside the jasper module.

As for the package names, I don't know. For sure I don't want to leave
the el in commons.

Rémy